SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2019, 08:16 AM   #1
WrightMan
WrightMan is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan
Default Sudden Leak

So the car runs and drives normal but this leak showed up 3 days ago and seems to be leaking quick. I was looking around the engine but can't find the leak. Anyone know what could cause this much to leak so quickly?
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized_20190827_172230.jpg (136.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Resized_20190827_172134.jpg (154.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Resized_20190827_172213.jpg (172.7 KB, 21 views)

2004 Saturn Ion AEM CAI, Aftermarket Head and Taillights, ZZP 2.5" Cat and Custom 2.5" Complete Exhaust
2000 F150 Off-Road 3" Duals and K&N Intake SCT Livewire Tuner
2013 Escape 2.0T AWD CAI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WrightMan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WrightMan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WrightMan is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2019, 09:57 AM   #2
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Re: Sudden Leak

Have you determined what kind of fluid is leaking?
What part of the engine bay does the leak seem to be coming from?
What do the oil and coolant levels look like?

IMO the pictures you provided don't show a leak large enough to be the source of that puddle.

Honestly, the puddle appears to just be water to me. That floor looks a bit dirty which could be make the water resemble oil in appearance. Are you sure it's not just water from the cowl drain? The drain would be located near the center of the firewall.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 182K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 194K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 41K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 10:27 AM   #3
WrightMan

2004 ION-2 Sedan

The oil is about a quart low and it seems to be dripping from the bottom of the engine but I can't trace it back up to any single point leaking. The 2nd and 3rd picture shows where it is dripping from on the bottom of the engine. There is some dirt on the floor but would not be black unless there was something else in it. Is there a way to check the transmission fluid to make sure I am not losing any of that on the F23 5 speed?

2004 Saturn Ion AEM CAI, Aftermarket Head and Taillights, ZZP 2.5" Cat and Custom 2.5" Complete Exhaust
2013 Escape 2.0T AWD CAI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help WrightMan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-28-2019, 12:56 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Find a medium cardboard box, open and lay it out under the engine. You'll know exactly where the drip is coming from.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 02:47 PM   #5
WrightMan

2004 ION-2 Sedan

I can see where it is falling from but it is running down the engine from an unknown location. Just not sure where it is coming from. Is there something that could come loose and cause this to happen suddenly?

2013 Escape 2.0T AWD CAI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-28-2019, 03:44 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Xmission fluid is red, coolant can be orange Dexcool, green or yellow Prestone or Toyota blue. Motor oil can be honey colored to dark black and oily. Sample some fluid between fingers. Antifreeze is watery, oil and xmission fluid is oily. If there's a xmission dipstick, pull it to examine fluid color.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-28-2019, 04:08 PM   #7
WrightMan

2004 ION-2 Sedan

Pretty sure it is oil which is right at 4200 miles for syn blend and was going to be changed anyway but it has been really dark ever since I bought the car. The 1st oil change I added oil cleaner ran for a bit then changed to try and clean it up but even still a fresh oil change will look dark after running it. While looking around I was surprised there is no way to just check to be sure trans is full. This is listed as a sealed transmission but I would still like to check it or find out how it would be filled so I could maybe siphon some out to check the condition.

2013 Escape 2.0T AWD CAI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-28-2019, 05:35 PM   #8
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

There is xmission gage stick. A partial reprint from service manual;

Important
Do not attempt to remove the 3rd gear anchor band bolt, located on top of the transmission. Removing the bolt will dislocate the internal components, resulting in removal and disassembly of the transmission.

*Remove the transmission level gage bolt (1) and gage (2).

Important
Do not use ATF (P/N 21005966 or P/N 21019223). These fluids are not compatible with this transmission.

*Add approximately 3.1 Liters (3.3 Qt) of Saturn T-IV fluid (P/N 22689186) through the transmission level gage tube.
*With the vehicle on a flat level surface, start the engine and operate until the transmission fluid temperature reaches 60-70C (140-158F).
*Apply the parking brake.
*Depress the brake pedal and move the shift lever slowly through all gear ranges, pausing approximately 3 seconds in each range.
*Return the shift lever to the park position.

Important
Make sure the fill level tube is clean and free of debris.

*Push the transmission level gage into the level gage tube until fully seated.
*Pull the transmission level gage from the transmission in order to check the proper fluid level on the gage.
*If the fluid is not within the proper range, adjust as necessary.
*When complete, install the transmission level gage bolt (1).

Tighten
Tighten the bolt to 5 Nm (44 lb in).
Attached Images
File Type: gif TifToGif.gif (21.1 KB, 6 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-28-2019, 06:00 PM   #9
WrightMan

2004 ION-2 Sedan

Thanks I will try that but could it be leaking from this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized_20190828_164657.jpg (195.3 KB, 14 views)

2013 Escape 2.0T AWD CAI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-29-2019, 09:20 AM   #10
WrightMan

2004 ION-2 Sedan

The description mentions putting it into park after is this for the auto or manual transmissions?

2013 Escape 2.0T AWD CAI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-29-2019, 01:49 PM   #11
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Auto - xmission oil is pumped into machined passages to provide hydraulic pressures operating valves and clutch packs bathed in xmission oil. Air getting into hydraulics creates uneven pressures with problems associated with air mixed with oil. Exercising fluid flow by idling and shifting the xmission into each gear and waiting a few seconds in each gear before shifting into another gear forces pressurized oil into passages to force out air, a simple flushing procedure prior to measuring oil level.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-05-2019, 05:48 PM   #12
WrightMan

2004 ION-2 Sedan

This is a short clip of where it is coming from. Any tips?

https://youtu.be/cBRFodMDNd0

2013 Escape 2.0T AWD CAI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-05-2019, 06:47 PM   #13
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

That looks like a rear main seal leak to me. The only true way to fix it is to split the engine & transmission to replace the seal.

However, I would highly recommend trying some ATP AT-205 stop leak before replacing the seal. Pour the whole bottle (8 oz.) in when doing your oil change in addition to the normal 5 qts of oil. Yes, you are technically putting in too much oil, but an additional 8 oz (or 1/4 qt) isn't enough to hurt anything.

We had a bad front main seal leak on our 2007 Chevy Equinox 3.4L a while back. I heard about ATP AT-205 and really had my doubts, but figured I had nothing to lose. I was surprised to see that the leak stopped within a week. I drove it about 10 miles per day. It's been about six months and the leak is still gone.

The only local parts store I could find it at was Advance Auto for about $10.

Also, just for clarification, do you have the 5-speed manual transmission (Getrag F23) or the 5-speed automatic transmission (Aisin AF23)?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-06-2019, 02:19 AM   #14
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Here's a link for ATP's description of p/n AT-205. (I'd not been aware of this product prior to today.)

http://atpautomotive.com/featured/re-seal

320,000 miles - Holy canolli!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 08:58 AM   #15
WrightMan

2004 ION-2 Sedan

I have the 5 speed manual and will look into that additive. How long do you run it in your car for before changing it again? The video says it should only take about 5 hours of run time. Did you leave it in till the next oil change or add between changes?

2013 Escape 2.0T AWD CAI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-06-2019, 12:15 PM   #16
ruley73
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrightMan View Post
I have the 5 speed manual and will look into that additive. How long do you run it in your car for before changing it again? The video says it should only take about 5 hours of run time. Did you leave it in till the next oil change or add between changes?
I added mine a couple months after the last oil change. I'm going to leave it in until the next oil change - which probably won't be until December or January.

You said you were going to change the oil soon. I would just put it in when you change the oil and leave it in there until the next oil change. The video basically says it doesn't matter when you add it during an oil change interval.

It's still in the Equinox because I haven't changed the oil, and probably won't until next spring. We don't drive it nearly as much as we used to since we got the Pacifica. I basically use it to transport kids to/from daycare and sometimes take it to work, but that's about it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-08-2019, 02:08 PM   #17
bern
Advanced Member
bern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of light

2006 VUE 3.5L
2004 ION-2 Sedan

In the video it looks like your Ion has a manual transmission, does it? The oil drips on the trans maybe coming from the axle shaft seals and oil migrating forward to the lowest point.
The mess on the floor is looks really dark if it does have a manual trans the maybe clutch (brake) fluid mixed with clutch disc dust. Is the brake fluid low?
please give us an update.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bern's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bern reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 04:55 PM   #18
WrightMan

2004 ION-2 Sedan

It is a 5 speed manual transmission and the other fluids all have been ok but it only really leaks after driving it having it parked all weekend didn't really leak. The AT 205 was delivered today and was planning on getting an oil change this week. What is the easiest way to check the axle seals? Can this be done without taking off the wheel otherwise I can do that if needed but feel like turning the wheel should be enough to get a good look at the axle.

2013 Escape 2.0T AWD CAI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-10-2019, 02:34 AM   #19
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrightMan View Post
...What is the easiest way to check the axle seals? Can this be done without taking off the wheel otherwise I can do that if needed but feel like turning the wheel should be enough to get a good look at the axle.
There should be no need to remove a wheel. Look for the location of the inner CV joint where it connects to the transaxle. The seal is located directly behind it. If it seems that turning the front wheels will be helpful to you when inspecting a seal then go ahead and do so. I don't think you'll find it necessary.

320,000 miles - Holy canolli!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 07:59 PM   #20
WrightMan

2004 ION-2 Sedan

So it doesn't really leak if I don't drive it and I added some dye but haven't found it yet. I would like to confirm before changing the oil and adding the ATP at-205.

2013 Escape 2.0T AWD CAI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!