SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2017, 11:20 AM   #1
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL
Default "Quill" seal

So it comes out without taking the tranny apart? The photo series on this site shows a 5-speed already taken apart.

I will check some tranny repair shops today, including Chevy dealer.

Thanks

97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeNW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeNW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2017, 10:38 PM   #2
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: "Quill" seal

Quill seal replacement requires that transmission be taken apart so that the quill seal can be pressed out and in. The transmission case also needs to be supported so that it does not crack.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 11:32 PM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The entire disassembly-reassembly takes the DIYer about 1 1/2 hours. The bell housing goes to the shop to remove the old assembly. How to get it apart: http://www.differentracing.com/tech_...sassembly.html Do not use RTV to seal the case, use Locktite 515 or 518.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 11:52 PM   #4
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL

Yes I've looked at that comprehensive photo essay

So you're saying, the separate case pieces don't have gaskets?

And, you can buy a rebuild kit with bearings, seals, big nuts, etc?

After shopping around today, I'm thinking of tearing into it myself. $$$$

I would have to buy a 20T press. Then resell it later.

I have the time. I have impact wrench. I have torque wrench. I will make a sturdy table.

97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeNW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeNW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 03:43 PM   #5
dmfgoo
dmfgoo is on a distinguished road

Hello folks. Iím only studying at a medical college in the first year. But tin is already so difficult! Itís good that I can order finished work. I ordered a test, paid, got a finished result and I liked everything very much. I hope that everything will work and will be even better than I expect. If so, I will constantly order essays there https://paperap.com/medicine/ Maybe this will somehow help me save my precious time? How do you think? Do you agree with me and share my opinion?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dmfgoo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dmfgoo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dmfgoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 04:55 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

You can NOT press the frint bearing out as you will bust the bell housing first. You have to pull it out or go look up how hunt4steve got it done. It is all in that thread alone.

Thanks to photobucket no pix any more. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=190919

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote