SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2019, 08:56 PM   #221
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: and so it begins....

Quote:
Originally Posted by trottida View Post
Hmm, so how much of the 2 quarts of circulating oil to you figure is still in the process of draining (ie not in the oil pan) when you turn the engine off, fuel up and then measure using the dipstick?
When it is truly hot as you can see not much. The 3.8 and 4.2LJag XK engine dip stick informed you to wait 1 minute for drain back and it is also a DOHC engine. Most of the DOHC engines drain down rapidly. It is the condition of the oil level when the engine is running and the amount of oil in contact with the pan surface and the engine RPM as that determines the actual circulating flow. Some of the oil heat is also dissipated into the coolant.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2019, 03:04 AM   #222
454cid
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I'll answer my own question.

First photo is a cold engine measure, second photo is immediately after shutdown and the last photo is after 5 minutes. Yes, I'm due for an oil change; this has about 7000 km on it.
I've noticed it takes awhile for the oil to get back to the pan on the LLO...Although part of my trouble in getting a good reading is that I have hard time seeing new oil on the dip stick. Before I changed the oil, I probably wasn't letting it sit long enough and I was assuming massive oil consumption because the level on the stick was low, and the blue smoke at idle. Now that I've run it a bit, I don't have the blue smoke.

2000 SL2 Automatic (back on the road) 17X,XXX miles.
1999 Chevy K3500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 454cid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 454cid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
454cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 07:48 AM   #223
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
When it is truly hot as you can see not much. The 3.8 and 4.2LJag XK engine dip stick informed you to wait 1 minute for drain back and it is also a DOHC engine. Most of the DOHC engines drain down rapidly. It is the condition of the oil level when the engine is running and the amount of oil in contact with the pan surface and the engine RPM as that determines the actual circulating flow. Some of the oil heat is also dissipated into the coolant.
In the first photo, I had topped up the oil in the morning to the top of the hash marks with a hot engine and parked it while at work. That difference was about 9 oz.

In my 2nd and 3rd photos this was after the engine was at operating temperature and had been for about 20+ minutes in 82F ambient temperatures. I'd say it was truly hot and that there is considerable difference at ~15-18 oz swing.

1999 SL2 MT (287,130 km @ 10/2019)
2012 Ford Focus SEL HB MT
2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
2001 SL1 MT (438,500 km 11y)
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 08:23 AM   #224
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Depending on exactly which type/brand of oil you are using the complete drain down can take 6-8 hours from a fully warmed up engine. Fully warmed up requires about 30 minutes at 45-60 mph. Drain down takes longer if the engine is not fully warmed up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 01:25 PM   #225
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

So before I sold the 2001 SL1 10th Anniversary clone I pulled the block heater from it thinking I could use it on the 99 SL2. I haven't been able to find one over the past 3 years of ownership. I was surprised that it wouldn't fit; the block is totally different in that area from 99 to 2001. Huh!

Anybody need a block heater for their GEN3 (2000-2002)?

2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-18-2019, 09:13 AM   #226
trottida
Master Member

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
So before I sold the 2001 SL1 10th Anniversary clone I pulled the block heater from it thinking I could use it on the 99 SL2. I haven't been able to find one over the past 3 years of ownership. I was surprised that it wouldn't fit; the block is totally different in that area from 99 to 2001. Huh!

Anybody need a block heater for their GEN3 (2000-2002)?
Alright, I can't believe nobody called me out on my comment regarding the block heater. The block heater is the same 98-2002 for all engines. As it turns out I was attempting to install it upside down. It's in now and ready for winter.

On another note, I acquired some stock hubcaps this summer for use on my winter wheels. When I tried to install them this past weekend the lug nut caps that hold the hubcaps on came nowhere close to threading onto the external lug nut threads. It appears that the steel wheels I bought a couple years ago have a deeper "dish" to them. Does anyone know if there are longer caps that would accommodate for this? Any other ideas to make this work?

2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-19-2019, 02:26 AM   #227
lilwhitetruck
lilwhitetruck is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
2002 SC2

Wait? So does that mean your going to keep the block heater?? Danm the bad luck!! Just kidding!! LOL! Glad you got it sorted out!

2001 Saturn Silver SC2 Leather Interior with 297K and a newly acquired 2002 White Fully Loaded, With only 87K! My new DD!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lilwhitetruck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lilwhitetruck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lilwhitetruck is offline   Reply With Quote