SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Miscellaneous Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2001, 10:37 AM   #1
Anubis
Anubis is on a distinguished road

Default Tech bulletin on 01 S series brakes?

I think my rotors are again warping. Under braking the steering wheel is starting to shimmy, not to bad but enough to be noticeable. I had the rotors rotated at about 3700 miles and now I am 7000. Seems like I got bad rotors or pads. Am I the only one?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Anubis's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Anubis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2001, 11:15 PM   #2
Anubis

I also think it could be my driving style but I am not sure to be honest with you. The area I live has hills all over the place. In fact to go down to my complex I have a nice steep downhill that I am constantly on the brakes for. I also drive alot on busy stop and go roads. Kind that dump you from one red light to a green one only to turn 10 seconds after the previous light went green. Could this also be causing wear and tare on the brakes and how do I combat it other then slowing to a crawl?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Anubis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-12-2001, 11:50 PM   #3
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Two things seem to warp the rotors. Uneven wheel torque and over heating them. Check the wheel nut torque to make sure that it is even. The driving style that you are forced into could be a big contributing factor. The heat build up can certainly warp the rotors. On the big hills try using engine braking.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-12-2001, 11:53 PM   #4
Anubis

My personnal mechanic uses a torque wrench, they get torqued to factory specs. How do I do that with an automatic? Going down the hills should I just stick in it 2nd and let the engine do the work?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-12-2001, 11:53 PM   #5
Anubis

And also how long will the dealership turn the rotors before saying enough is enough?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-12-2001, 11:59 PM   #6
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

With the auto just go to 3 or 2 for engine braking. The rotors can be turned to a minimum thickness specification but they will likely no longer do it for free, if they did in the first place. Make sure that the calipers are not sticking, ie that the slide pins move freely in the mounts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread