SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2019, 01:49 PM   #1
SIRPAULGERMAN
SIRPAULGERMAN is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
2001 SL1
Default Radiator recommendation

The radiator started to have some leaks, this is my second radiator, I think the brand is Silla it only lasted around 50 000 miles.

Rock auto has the original for $129 is there another cheaper option for less money ?

what about the Denso ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SIRPAULGERMAN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SIRPAULGERMAN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SIRPAULGERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2019, 03:17 PM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1
Default Re: Radiator recommendation

I've used both silla and denso and either will do the job for a long time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 03:44 PM   #3
SIRPAULGERMAN
SIRPAULGERMAN is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
2001 SL1

how long did the Denso last it ? where is the denso made ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SIRPAULGERMAN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SIRPAULGERMAN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SIRPAULGERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 11:00 PM   #4
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

DENSO Corporation, headquartered in Kariya, Aichi prefecture, Japan.
Some of there better lines are OEM on Lexus models.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 12:50 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If your replacement radiator failed in 50k miles, was it due to a faulty radiator, road rash damaging it, xmission fitting damage or worn/damaged/missing radiator rubber mounts?
I dont recall members here using Silla replacement radiators finding fault with it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:44 PM   #6
454cid
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggenburg View Post
DENSO Corporation, headquartered in Kariya, Aichi prefecture, Japan.
Some of there better lines are OEM on Lexus models.
Denso is to Toyota what Delphi was/is to GM. Denso was spun off in the 50's. Last time I checked they were the #2 Tier 1 supplier behind Bosch. They have facilities all over the world. I believe their aftermarket radiators come from China, as that seemed to be the answer on other forums when I researched it a few years ago. If any company would demand quality from China, it would be them... they probably run/own the plant, not just buy radiators made there.

2000 SL2 Automatic (back on the road) 17X,XXX miles.
1999 Chevy K3500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 454cid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 454cid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
454cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:58 PM   #7
hholbein
hholbein will become famous soon enoughhholbein will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2

50K failure on the Silla? Not so hot. At least on other parts, Denso has pretty decent quality control, and the $56 price seems pretty good -- essentially the same as the Spectra unit that doesn't seem to last so long according to other posts.

Regarding AC Delco, "OEM quality" ain't what it used to be -- sometimes it's truly the quality part that was originally installed and other times it's some low-cost value-engineered junk selected by some faceless dweeb in Purchasing. I'm curious what others have found with the Denso part -- or whether the Delco part is truly OEM quality.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hholbein's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hholbein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:08 AM   #8
pickettt
pickettt is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

I replaced mine about 6 months ago with a Delco from RockAuto. The original in my '99 lasted 20 years, so I decided to pay a little more and go with Delco again. I hope it pays off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pickettt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pickettt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:28 PM   #9
454cid
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hholbein View Post
Regarding AC Delco, "OEM quality" ain't what it used to be -- sometimes it's truly the quality part that was originally installed and other times it's some low-cost value-engineered junk selected by some faceless dweeb in Purchasing. I'm curious what others have found with the Denso part -- or whether the Delco part is truly OEM quality.
As our vehicles get older the chances of the part being the original gets less and less. When I bought a new radiator for my truck in 2007 (It's a 99), I bought a Delphi. It was made in Lockport, NY which was the old GM/Harrison Radiator plant way back when, eventually becoming part of Delphi. The only two differences I could see between it, and the original, was that the new radiator had a Delphi parts label, and the drain plug that was useless any way, was eliminated. It even had Harrison molded into the tank, although, I think it was half heartedly scratched out (probably done in the mold). That plant went back to GM during Delphi's bankruptcy, and I've heard from others that the AC Delco radiators for our trucks come out of Mexcio now. Delphi doesn't even have a thermal systems devision anymore, and they've also split into two companies.

Another example. The original steering linkage for my truck was made by American Axle & Manufacturing. AAM stopped making those parts shortly after the next generation truck took over. All those parts came out of the two NY plants which have since been shut down... I think one was demolished.

1999 Chevy K3500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 454cid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-22-2019, 06:18 PM   #10
hholbein
hholbein will become famous soon enoughhholbein will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454cid View Post
As our vehicles get older the chances of the part being the original gets less and less...... I've heard from others that the AC Delco radiators for our trucks come out of Mexico now. Delphi doesn't even have a thermal systems division anymore, and they've also split into two companies.
Thanks for the additional detail, sad though it may be. When I make a repair on my Saturn, I'm willing to pay a *reasonable* premium for original or higher quality -- I hate redoing things! The plant making that part might be abroad, but with the right quality regimen, that doesn't trouble me that much.

I guess reading your post, I'd be prone to go with the Denso unit at 44% of the cost of the Delphi unit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hholbein's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hholbein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 07:08 PM   #11
454cid

Quote:
Originally Posted by hholbein View Post
I guess reading your post, I'd be prone to go with the Denso unit at 44% of the cost of the Delphi unit.
I think you're confusing Delphi and AC Delco. If available, I would expect a Delphi radiator to be about the same price as the Denso... I doubt you'd find a Delphi, Though.

I've never had my Saturn's radiator out, but given that Saturn wasn't mainline GM at that point, I would not be surprised if Delphi was NOT the OEM for the radiators.

If I were looking at a radiator for my Saturn, I would look at Denso and TYC. I've actually read reviews on Amazon and it seems like one or both of them require re-using some nuts or clips or something, as the ones provided for the fan are not correct. I currently have a TYC in my truck. It came well packed (from China), looked to be well made, and made by the Nokolok process that's standard. The only thing I don't like about it, is the filler neck is a bit too tall and rubs the insulation on my hood.... a problem the Saturn won't have. Denso doesn't make a radiator for my truck, so that wasn't an option for me.

1999 Chevy K3500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!