SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2018, 11:00 AM   #21
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Wrench Re: 2nd Gen Interior Center Console Handle 3D Print Model

3D printers are great.
I use mine all the time and have printed many parts for cars.
Mostly I use ABS because of the temperatures, but you do have to paint it because it does not hold up well in sunlight (marginal UV resistance).

DIYguy

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

97SC2 Saturn (gone but never forgotten), Gen6 Camaro, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C, Honda CBX

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DIYguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DIYguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2018, 11:25 AM   #22
jpsuli
jpsuli is a jewel in the roughjpsuli is a jewel in the roughjpsuli is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2
Default Re: 2nd Gen Interior Center Console Handle 3D Print Model

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgg17 View Post
Ill try downloading inventor, Ill do the sign up with my school. I am going to try to design door handles for the 1st gens, as mine are worn and floppy...
We should compile a list of things that can be printed, and work away it it.
Next thing on mind was a fog light mount, I've got some fog lights that will be helpful during winter that I want to install.

'97 Saturn SL2 @ 140k

r/Saturn_Cars moderator

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jpsuli's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jpsuli reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jpsuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 01:35 PM   #23
Zeebins
Advanced Member
Zeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to behold

1997 SL2

After I made my coin holder I though about making a new clip for my sun visor since mine was completely worn out and didn't even hold it in place anymore. I ended up not simply because it was a little to complex of a shape for me to make. Definitely doable though assuming the plastic used to print it could hold up to the sun visor being pulled in and out of it.

97 SL2, auto, 116K miles
Powered by Plastic

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zeebins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zeebins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 03:19 PM   #24
jpsuli
jpsuli is a jewel in the roughjpsuli is a jewel in the roughjpsuli is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebins View Post
After I made my coin holder I though about making a new clip for my sun visor since mine was completely worn out and didn't even hold it in place anymore. I ended up not simply because it was a little to complex of a shape for me to make. Definitely doable though assuming the plastic used to print it could hold up to the sun visor being pulled in and out of it.
I'll get started on this tonight because I totally forgot about this. Drives me absurd when I place it back in.

'97 Saturn SL2 @ 140k

r/Saturn_Cars moderator

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jpsuli reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-23-2018, 03:38 PM   #25
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebins View Post
After I made my coin holder I though about making a new clip for my sun visor
This is one of those parts where it might be better checking in a junkyard. Guessing it is a generic part that is direct fit with some other cars.

Came across the idea on another car forum years ago (before 3D printers). Plastic visor clips for a Porsche 944 ran around $25 each, if you could find them and they were decades old. Or you could buy brand new aluminum visor clips from a VW dealer for $4 each

Has anyone mentioned the dome lamps yet? Probably 90% of those little white tabs are broken

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 141k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 05:10 PM   #26
jpsuli

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
Has anyone mentioned the dome lamps yet? Probably 90% of those little white tabs are broken
I thought of it, but are those clear plastic lens removable? The Velcro is holding up just fine!

'97 Saturn SL2 @ 140k

r/Saturn_Cars moderator

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-24-2018, 12:42 AM   #27
Zeebins
Advanced Member
Zeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to behold

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsuli View Post
I thought of it, but are those clear plastic lens removable? The Velcro is holding up just fine!
It is. I'm not sure how the switch could be removed though

97 SL2, auto, 116K miles
Powered by Plastic

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-24-2018, 08:17 AM   #28
cgg17
Advanced Member
cgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nice

1995 SL2
1999 SL2

I wrap clear tape around my visor male end that goes into the female holder, works OK.

1994 Sl2 5spd: 56,576 (Totaled 1/10/2018)
1995 Sl2 5spd Manual Swap: 150,062
1999 Sl2 4spd: 98,8xx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cgg17's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cgg17 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cgg17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 01:41 PM   #29
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

I got a junkyard visor that was better than the one I had.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 03:24 PM   #30
Zeebins
Advanced Member

1997 SL2

I ended up getting a new visor and clip from the junkyard too. The 'new' visor is pretty thin though so it's only a matter of time before that one rips too.

Also, as a little tip for anyone who is looking for a new clip, grab the one from the passenger side. It's the same part and is usually a lot less worn than the drivers side one.

97 SL2, auto, 116K miles
Powered by Plastic

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-14-2018, 09:19 PM   #31
jpsuli

1997 SL2

I can start making this handle again! If anyone would like to order one I think it'll be like $5 then shipping or free local pickup in MSP. I will be primarily making black, but if you need a specific colour let me know.

Message me via SaturnFans if needed.

'97 Saturn SL2 @ 140k

r/Saturn_Cars moderator

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-15-2018, 11:23 AM   #32
Nekomimi
Nekomimi is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1

When mine broke, I drilled the centers about an 1/8"-1/4" deep and put stainless steel pins in them ^ .^

Any chance for 3d printed badges without the "red" sections or red and chrome two different pieces?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018-09-15_10.26.47.jpg (56.6 KB, 33 views)

'96 SL1 Originally the family car, passed on to me as my first. "Hellcat" 240,000+ miles and purring smooth.
My Mug is filled with the lost souls of imports.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nekomimi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nekomimi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nekomimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 06:34 PM   #33
jpsuli

1997 SL2

Hey guys,

Just an update. In case the original link dies here is another on Thingiverse: LINK.

Future plans with 3D printer (Will make new thread for each):
-Custom Gauge cluster
Looking to implement the following:
  • DTE
  • MPG
  • Temperature (inside and out)
  • Cruise notification
  • Redline Light
  • OLED screen
- Custom Auto-Climate control
- Sun Visor clip
- Double Din radio integrated on the dashboard (almost done)

'97 Saturn SL2 @ 140k

r/Saturn_Cars moderator

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-21-2019, 10:31 PM   #34
98_Gold_Uranus
98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

You should model out the entire console lid, the bottom plastic portion, so the whole console lid could be rebuilt. Even if it had to be sliced into 3 or 4 parts, printed, and then glued together, it would be stronger then my patched together one that I have in my 98 right now lol.

98 SL2, 70k miles, kept in the family since new!

Her name is Uranus :)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 98_Gold_Uranus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 98_Gold_Uranus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
98_Gold_Uranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:21 PM   #35
jpsuli

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98_Gold_Uranus View Post
You should model out the entire console lid, the bottom plastic portion, so the whole console lid could be rebuilt. Even if it had to be sliced into 3 or 4 parts, printed, and then glued together, it would be stronger then my patched together one that I have in my 98 right now lol.
Are you referring to the plastic that is below the handle? I never bother with those even if they break as you have 4 screws keeping it in place.

'97 Saturn SL2 @ 140k

r/Saturn_Cars moderator

Last edited by jpsuli; 10-21-2019 at 11:29 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-22-2019, 10:13 PM   #36
98_Gold_Uranus
98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

Quote:
Are you referring to the plastic that is below the handle? I never bother with those even if they break as you have 4 screws keeping it in place.
Negative, the entire panel along the bottom of the lid. Doesn't look like there's any screws on mine. I'm almost certain that mine is missing parts lol, but it looks like the top pad and cushion is suppose to have a ring that "clips" into the panel and holds the cover material on. If your's is solid, don't try and pry it apart just for a modeling, I would hate for yours to fall apart too lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 98_Gold_Uranus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-23-2019, 04:35 PM   #37
jpsuli

1997 SL2

Quote:
Negative, the entire panel along the bottom of the lid. Doesn't look like there's any screws on mine. I'm almost certain that mine is missing parts lol, but it looks like the top pad and cushion is suppose to have a ring that "clips" into the panel and holds the cover material on. If your's is solid, don't try and pry it apart just for a modeling, I would hate for yours to fall apart too lol
Which plastic panel? I think we are talking about the same one. 1, 2, or 3?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 123.JPG (63.8 KB, 13 views)

'97 Saturn SL2 @ 140k

r/Saturn_Cars moderator

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-23-2019, 08:37 PM   #38
98_Gold_Uranus

1998 SL2

#1 in your picture there

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-24-2019, 04:20 AM   #39
jpsuli

1997 SL2

Quote:
#1 in your picture there
Yeah, that requires 4 screws to keep everything together. The clips do assist in keeping it sound though as you mentioned before, taking these off is almost certain destruction of the piece 'hangers'.

'97 Saturn SL2 @ 140k

r/Saturn_Cars moderator

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-24-2019, 09:18 PM   #40
98_Gold_Uranus

1998 SL2

Quote:
Yeah, that requires 4 screws to keep everything together. The clips do assist in keeping it sound though as you mentioned before, taking these off is almost certain destruction of the piece 'hangers'.
Ah okay. I've never actually seen a good solid one, and mine has no screws in it anywhere, so yeah... lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!