SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2008, 05:51 PM   #1
Crasoum
Crasoum will become famous soon enough

1993 SL2
Default Headliner Removal and Repair Video.

Video: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...81082464408534 ~40 min long.

I made plenty of mistakes, but overall it came out just fine.

Couple of quick comments: I didn't show how to remove the dashboard.

Tools you will need are going to be:
2 flathead screwdrivers.
A pair of pliers.
Plastic superglue or JB quick (Superglue will work in a pinch, but will be more brittle.). (or Saturn P/N 21040288 for replacement tabs)
Some high temperature general glue.
A 9/32nds bit or 8mm bit.
A Phillips screwdriver.
3M -Super Trim-
New headliner foam backed cloth (or a new headliner).

Also doing this over again, I would remove the 2 rear arm rests and trim pieces first, then remove the front dash, the side vents in front, the front trim pieces, the sunroof lining.

The foam I used was 1/4th inch thick, which although very forgiving on mistakes is very very tight around the front dome lights, (both in putting the material on and putting the dome light fixture back on) so going with a smaller foam material will lead to a better fitment, however you will need to be much more careful about not soaking the glue through the foam (Which is why you use 3 strokes, 2 sideways and one up and down, as well as waiting for the glue to get tacky before pressing the headliner to board.).

If you do use the 1/4th inch foam backing, I'd put some washers between the light bracket in front and the roof, to un-recess it a little bit so the light buttons and the light fit better into the base, I'll experiment on my next days off.

Thanks to LowSaturn for his multiple posts elsewhere on how to get the headliner out. I also found out from him Saturn P/N 21040288 are replacement broken clips! Doh! I'll be getting some of those anyways however because I have a bad dash rattle.
Thanks to Richpin06a for his help as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Crasoum's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Crasoum reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Crasoum is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2008, 06:26 PM   #2
1994Saturn
1994Saturn will become famous soon enough

1994 SL2
1994 SL1
Happy Re: Headliner Removal and Repair Video.

Good Video.

Maybe a how to?

Current:
1998 SL2 Auto issues 112K
1995 Eagle Vision 3.5L TSI 117K
Past:
98 SL1 254k miles Valves Burnt.
94 SL2 125K miles Diff Pin Blew!
94 SL1 Sold @134K.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1994Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1994Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1994Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:59 PM   #3
Crasoum

1993 SL2
Default Re: Headliner Removal and Repair Video.

So after pulling out my headliner again to check my sunroof motor (Grr stripped gear!), I did some experimentation with the driver/passenger light and my 1/4th inch foam, and if anyone else were to use such thick foam get enough washers to un-recess the dome fixture at least 1/4th an inch, maybe a little more. I used 2 1/8th inch washers, 3 would probably be perfect, but now my dome-light trim doesn't pop off like a pubescent teen.

I'll make a much shorter video later today and post it up with a step by step, perhaps voice-over.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? Kicks to my face?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Crasoum reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-12-2008, 05:55 PM   #4
t-daddy
t-daddy is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

I live in Central Texas. In case you didn't know...it gets hotter than h*** here in the summer. I re-did mine only for it to fall down again. Be sure you buy "the good stuff" spray adhesive. And the visors.. Well, keep your eyes out for some on Ebay (I'm still looking)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to t-daddy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help t-daddy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
t-daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 06:14 PM   #5
Crasoum

1993 SL2

I'm also in Texas, and I used 3m Super Trim, not an issue yet but we'll have to wait till next year to see if it stays good

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-daddy View Post
I live in Central Texas. In case you didn't know...it gets hotter than h*** here in the summer. I re-did mine only for it to fall down again. Be sure you buy "the good stuff" spray adhesive. And the visors.. Well, keep your eyes out for some on Ebay (I'm still looking)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-13-2008, 08:48 AM   #6
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-daddy View Post
And the visors.. Well, keep your eyes out for some on Ebay (I'm still looking)
You may want to try to recover your old. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...ent+work+visor

Jerry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JerryHughes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JerryHughes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JerryHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:35 PM   #7
bamagirl1979
bamagirl1979 is on a distinguished road

am trying to remove my headliner in my 02 sc1 saturan can some one please help

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bamagirl1979's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bamagirl1979 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bamagirl1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:51 PM   #8
Madness10
Advanced Member
Madness10 will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamagirl1979 View Post
am trying to remove my headliner in my 02 sc1 saturan can some one please help
Instead of trying to revive a 6 year old thread, you may want to start a new one. May be a little more info, what have you tried, what are you stuck on, etc.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Madness10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Madness10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Madness10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:05 AM   #9
bamagirl1979
bamagirl1979 is on a distinguished road

I am new to this site sorry, But I got the headliner removed and replaced it with some new fabric thanks to all the great advice here on this site !!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bamagirl1979's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bamagirl1979 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bamagirl1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:09 AM   #10
blackbeard
blackbeard is on a distinguished road

1993 SC1

It 404'ed on me.
And I need a new headliner.

The only difference between an idiot's arguement and a knife is that the knife has a point.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blackbeard's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blackbeard reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blackbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 12:38 AM   #11
Crasoum

1993 SL2

I made the video re-available, in all it's embarrassing glory.

After 8 years the headliner stayed fine until the car went to the big garage in the sky. So 3m was the way to go.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-20-2019, 07:03 PM   #12
hholbein
hholbein will become famous soon enoughhholbein will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2

What's the URL for the reposted video?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hholbein's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hholbein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:02 AM   #13
Hiisi
Hiisi is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

I also used 3M and some cheapest material from amazon. The colour matches just fine. The original poster mentions the removal of the dashboard. What?!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Hiisi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Hiisi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Hiisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:23 PM   #14
Crasoum

1993 SL2

https://youtu.be/I3e0PcT1XM0 is the new link, the quality is potato as I made this an odd 10 years ago off phone cam. I think.

And yea, if I remember right I took off the dash to get the vent and side pieces off. It's literally been a decade, I no longer live in Texas.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!