SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2019, 07:48 PM   #1
Homecoming1999
Homecoming1999 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
Default Fog lights on second gen Saturn's..not a popular option???

Hey guys and girls, Can anyone comment on why the Fog light option seemed to be rare on the second gens? Of the 99 Homecoming Editions I have seen online , including my own, NONE of them had factory foglights installed. Just the plastic filler caps. You would think they would have decked them out with foglights...

Thoughts?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Homecoming1999's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Homecoming1999 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Homecoming1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2019, 08:09 PM   #2
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2
Default Re: Fog lights on second gen Saturn's..not a popular option???

My Gen2 foglights suck. Maybe nobody wanted them?

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:56 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I have them for that oh-so-darling look on my L300. They suck, period. When they're barely two feet off the ground (55 watts each), all they do is brighten up the ground about three feet in front of the car.......totally useless.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:04 PM   #4
Homecoming1999
Homecoming1999 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

I was thinking about adding them to my 99 Homecoming, not even for functional purposes but just for asthetics....probably not worth it and just keep it stock....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Homecoming1999's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Homecoming1999 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Homecoming1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:12 PM   #5
onlinebiker
Advanced Member
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
Define "suck".

Do they work in fog?

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:39 PM   #6
98_Gold_Uranus
98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

On my 98, they might as well be marker or running lights, like the amber ones in the headlights... They just throw no light forward...

I plan on replacing my entire assemblies with some aftermarket LED assemblies in the future. I just don't drive the car much at night to justify doing it right now, so I haven't had the motivation to do it lol

98 SL2, 70k miles, kept in the family since new!

Her name is Uranus :)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 98_Gold_Uranus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 98_Gold_Uranus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
98_Gold_Uranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:52 PM   #7
Zeebins
Advanced Member
Zeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to behold

1997 SL2

They're defiantly not the most useful fog lights, even in the fog/rain. They are kinda cool with some amber Hella bulbs though. I use them more for decoration than function
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6850.jpg (65.2 KB, 17 views)

97 SL2, auto, 116K miles
Powered by Plastic

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zeebins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zeebins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 03:15 AM   #8
onlinebiker
Advanced Member
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

Fog lights are DESIGNED to be only slightly brighter than marker lights.

In heavy fog - you can see better with less light, that is sourced closer to the ground. I have been in heavy fog on California's Pacific Coast Highway (1) where if you didn' t have fog lights- the next best thing was to use tin foil to obscure 90 percent of your headlights.

Too much light simply causes glare.

In Alaska - I got stopped for running with my headlights on by a Highway Patrol trooper - who advised me to run - at night - with only marker lights. Indeed - I could see better that way.

Fog lights are NOT intended to extend visibility in clear visibility conditions.

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-19-2019, 08:22 AM   #9
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlinebiker View Post
Define "suck".

Do they work in fog?
When I turn them on in fog I can't see any better. When I turn on my Dodge Ram truck-a-saurus foglights on in fog, they help a lot.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-19-2019, 09:24 AM   #10
onlinebiker
Advanced Member

Quote:
When I turn them on in fog I can't see any better. When I turn on my Dodge Ram truck-a-saurus foglights on in fog, they help a lot.
Do you run them with or without headlight?

(I forget if this is an option)

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-19-2019, 10:38 AM   #11
Waiex191
Master Member

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

I've tried both. It is an option. I find I can't see as well with the fogs as with the low beams.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-19-2019, 11:17 AM   #12
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

The 880 bulb the S-Series use's is a joke. Even worse because the entire fog light housing is plastic and, at this point, a minimum of 16 years of road grime/sanding "old" and virtually useless.

Subaru use's a 9006 bulb for the fogs, with a "flood" beam style reflector and glass lense; I can't see very far ahead with just the fog lights but I can see the marked lines just fine (which is the point IMO) and it's easy to clean up the lenses.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 12:58 PM   #13
onlinebiker
Advanced Member

Try putting more downward angle on the fog light and run without headlights. The problem is glare - reflection off the water particles back towards you. By pointing the fog lights downward you eliminate much of the directly reflected back light. Light the roadbed - not the air above it.

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-19-2019, 01:58 PM   #14
98_Gold_Uranus
98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

I guess I can't expect the same level of output from them that I get with the fog lights I installed on my 04 Blazer. Pulled them off an 01 Corvette in the junk yard, mounted them up, and installed 55w 4300k HID's in them. Beautiful low cutoff, great distance, I can literally drive with just them on without my headlights at night and see like I have my low beams on.

I've been looking at getting a set of aftermarket LED replacement light assemblies meant for a Jeep Wrangler and modeling and 3D printing some custom brackets to mount then in the place of the factory assemblies in my 98 SL2

98 SL2, 70k miles, kept in the family since new!

Her name is Uranus :)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 98_Gold_Uranus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 98_Gold_Uranus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
98_Gold_Uranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 02:13 PM   #15
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlinebiker View Post
Fog lights are DESIGNED to be only slightly brighter than marker lights.

In heavy fog - you can see better with less light, that is sourced closer to the ground. I have been in heavy fog on California's Pacific Coast Highway (1) where if you didn' t have fog lights- the next best thing was to use tin foil to obscure 90 percent of your headlights.

Too much light simply causes glare.

In Alaska - I got stopped for running with my headlights on by a Highway Patrol trooper - who advised me to run - at night - with only marker lights. Indeed - I could see better that way.

Fog lights are NOT intended to extend visibility in clear visibility conditions.
Your explanation pretty much says it all. If real fog conditions occurs, anyone foolish enough to drive faster than the extremely limited sight range in fog conditions are Darwin award candidates. Even commercial airlines won't leave the ground unless they can see at least half to runway otherwise they stay at the gate. Those assuming fog lights are for distance only fool themselves and may have never driven in real fog where you can't see past the headlights. That's newsworthy when multiple pile ups occurs due to assumptions when driving at speed into fog. I doubt I've ever driven in fog conditions where I'd have to slow down so quickly to avoid crashing into someone in front doing the same and entering into another pile up scenario. My fog lights are for all intents and purposes a dress up for show and tell, even at 55 watts stock. I think I'd not drive in true fog conditions. Too many variables and those variables are the ones foolish enough to risk driving where you can't see past headlights.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 03:56 PM   #16
onlinebiker
Advanced Member

Absolutely.

Driving past your headlights (going faster than you can stop within something illuminated by your headlights plus reaction time) is akin to Russia Roulette....

Just potentially messier.

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-19-2019, 05:26 PM   #17
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2

Quote:
Halogen 880's, do yes.

Replace them with these LED's. NOW lol!!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Proud Owner of an Invincible '98 SC2 Rare "Red Hot" 5-Speed.
Castrol Edge EP + M1 Ext Perf. Oil Filter.

Owned 4 other S-Series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pitcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pitcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:42 PM   #18
hholbein
hholbein will become famous soon enoughhholbein will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2

I agree that the standard 27W 880 halogen fog lamps on the Saturn are lame-o. Much poorer than the Subaru Outback or Rav4 fog lamps I had/have.

I am interested how long you've had the 22W LED bulbs you linked and the amount of improvement you've seen.

I drive a lot in the rain (some fog) here in Oregon, so lighting improvements would be welcome.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hholbein's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hholbein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:58 PM   #19
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hholbein View Post
I agree that the standard 27W 880 halogen fog lamps on the Saturn are lame-o. Much poorer than the Subaru Outback or Rav4 fog lamps I had/have.

I am interested how long you've had the 22W LED bulbs you linked and the amount of improvement you've seen.

I drive a lot in the rain (some fog) here in Oregon, so lighting improvements would be welcome.
As far as improvements, the fog lights are down where they get pummeled and pitted from road grit. Polish them and then apply some Lamin-X protective film.

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it).
Oil use is 1 ounce per 100 miles with ~230,000 miles on the engine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 03:36 PM   #20
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hholbein View Post

Look at the difference in the 2nd pic in my thread & you tell me.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=238260

Proud Owner of an Invincible '98 SC2 Rare "Red Hot" 5-Speed.
Castrol Edge EP + M1 Ext Perf. Oil Filter.

Owned 4 other S-Series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pitcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pitcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote