SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2018, 11:50 PM   #1
jtyson
jtyson is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.5L
Default 2008 Carrier Bearing

I've searched and found plenty of people saying how terrible it is to do on the older generation, but I can't find ANYTHING on the newer models. I can't even find the part. I checked with all the parts stores in town, several places online, and everything is for up to 2007.

Anyone know anything about it? Or am I making an AWD minus 2?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jtyson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jtyson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jtyson is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2018, 11:44 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2008 Carrier Bearing

While searches within Saturnfans isn't easy, you're likely to find more info from here than anywhere else with few exceptions. If you cannot find parts, one place is often mentioned here - shaftmasters (.com?). Specialized shops always have more info and parts that requires serious searching. In ye old days, the yellow pages and (ahem) land line calling around usually reveals a source otherwise word of mouth from those dealing with repairs can help find shops specializing in repairs no one wants to do due to low turnover of repeated repairs and requiring equipment that doesn't pay if not used often. Searching online isn't any more different than using the yellow pages except for finding sources that may take you across the country instead of locally. Perhaps local searches with apps like Angie's list or other services localizes things before using Google.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:40 PM   #3
jtyson

2008 VUE 3.5L

Yeah my lack of findings wasn't a lack of knowledge how to search, but rather a lack of any apparent info out there. Shaft masters has parts for 02-07. No auto parts stores show any carrier bearing for the 08 model. Google search gives me plenty of people complaining about the rear dif and carrier bearings on their previous generation model. A number of suggestions to just remove the shaft and drive it as any other front wheel drive.

Just got off the phone with the dealer and they have no mention of the part in their system. They're going to contact GM and get back with me.

So yeah, I'm seriously considering just pulling it out and it can be a 2wd.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jtyson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-27-2018, 02:12 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I'm no authority on repairing driveshafts but do read these forums for information. Members here swear by shaftmasters so it might be a call or email to ask if they can help. The experts are out there and you may have to speak directly to one to get expert help. Technically, getting dimensions for bearings (ID, OD, width, etc) may help when conversations or emails are sight unseen for experts to determine if they have the parts. Ever consider local truck repair shops for advice? I wouldn't be surprised if a member or two chime in if they're familiar with this problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:20 PM   #5
jtyson

2008 VUE 3.5L

Thanks for the ideas. I've been working on cars for 12 years, so I am the local repair shop. Couldn't justify a $600 shaft for a $2000 car when it can just be removed and used as a 2wd.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-02-2018, 03:52 PM   #6
lord_varon
Advanced Member
lord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of light

2008 VUE 3.6L

Jtyson,
Did you look for 'center support bearing'??? That is what the bearing in the middle of the drive shaft is called.

John

aka
Lord_Varon
07 Vue V6 AWD LOADED!!! aka SUPER CRITTER!!! Sadly gone, and definitely missed.
08 Equinox Sport 3.6 6 spd auto, AWD, even more loaded. And the jury is still out on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lord_varon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lord_varon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lord_varon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 02:24 PM   #7
newbievueowner
newbievueowner is a jewel in the roughnewbievueowner is a jewel in the roughnewbievueowner is a jewel in the roughnewbievueowner is a jewel in the rough

2006 VUE Red Line

After looking at Rockauto it looks like they used the same 100% certified POS centre drive shaft bearing for the newer Vue's as the previous 2002-2007 plastic body ones...

Saturn Vue: The 250 HP tupperware

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to newbievueowner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help newbievueowner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
newbievueowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:43 PM   #8
Cavell
Cavell is a jewel in the roughCavell is a jewel in the roughCavell is a jewel in the rough

2004 VUE 3.5L
2003 VUE 3.0L

If you can replace the bearing it does/does not fix driveshaft vibration? It vibrated from the factory? When new?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cavell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cavell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cavell is offline   Reply With Quote