SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 04-12-2006, 09:57 AM   #1
Ollie
Ollie will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 3.5L
Default Sound Deadening....

I'm in the process of deadining the sound on my Maxima and I'm thinking of doing this to our Vue this Summer as well. The products I'm considering are Dynamat Xtreme or Second Skin Damplifier. We use our Vue for vacations to our cabin and there seems to be some road noise and I wan't to cut that down. Has anyone tried doing this with there Vue? If so what do you think?

It looks pretty simple to get the door pannels off, and the spare tire location, to get to the metal, is really easy to access. I'm guessing those two locations will be where the bulk of the noise is coming from. If I get really ambitious I'll do the entire cabin floor and firewall.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."
-John Wayne-
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2006, 10:05 AM   #2
snowman04976
snowman04976 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Sound Deadening....

I think this has been covered quite a bit. I was searching around on this site and saw some topics on it. It sounds like people have had good results.

There was one interesting thread where someone used some material from Lowes that you find in the roofing section. It is much cheaper than Dynamat.

I did see that a "professional" Dynamat installer was installing it to the inside of the door skin. That seems great to keep out noise but I would also like to isolate any rattles that develop. The door skins do look like they come off easy, I just wonder how the door handle is removed to get it out of the way??

I am considering getting the roofing material and going crazy with it in the doors.... What i mean by crazy is completely cover the doorskin and then do the inside of the interior panel as well.

It probably isnt too bad of a job to remove the rear seat to gain access to the rear floor.... I dont know if I would quit at that point or just keep working my way forward!?
snowman04976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 12:02 AM   #3
jumpn
jumpn is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

The stuff at Lowe's is called Peel and Seal. I used it on my Vue. Just fyi, it did have a tarry, oily smell for a week or so that did go away. I did my front doors and the rear cargo area. Worked fine for me. I think it was around $13 for a roll of it.
jumpn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 08:09 AM   #4
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

I've added some of the Peel n Seal as well. It worked OK for me. I did one door one day, another door another day and so on so it was a slow process for me. It certainly wasn't like an "off switch" for the roads noise, but I think it helped out some. Maybe if I did all the doors at once I would have noticed it more.

Take a look at this link. A guy has a Honda Civic and strips the interior down to install some sound deadening. Pretty good read (but kinda long). He also compares different types of sound deadening.
http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

--Tom
Not a Saturn.
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 09:11 AM   #5
svbb
svbb is on a distinguished road

I just bought a roll of B-quiet Extreme and intend to install it this weekend. I installed a new amp and speakers in the Vue, and now need to absorb some of the buzz. Getting the doors apart is very easy, as is the spare tire area. Shouldn't be that big a deal--I'll let you know how my experience goes.

Now, a question: Should I remove the plastic moisture barrier from the door, and then put on the insulation? Or should I put the insulation under the moisture barrier?
svbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 11:18 PM   #6
Speedy
Speedy is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Up Re: Sound Deadening....

Quote:
Originally Posted by svbb
Now, a question: Should I remove the plastic moisture barrier from the door, and then put on the insulation? Or should I put the insulation under the moisture barrier?
I used the Peel 'n Seal method. Just seemed crazy to pay the price of dynamat when it is the same stuff. Did the inside of all four doors, haven't gotten around to the hatch yet. I peeled the moisture barrier off except for the very top of it, layed the P&S down, covering evey hole and gap I could. and then put the moisture barrier back in place. Moisture barrier is only held in place by a bead of adheasive that remains tacky enough to reuse. Be careful as you peel it up at first that you don't stretch it too much or you'll end up with a bit of gathering when you put it back down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpn
The stuff at Lowe's is called Peel and Seal. I used it on my Vue. Just fyi, it did have a tarry, oily smell for a week or so that did go away.
I did all four doors and after putting her back together, no smell. Did it in the summer in Louisiana. While i was putting it on was another story, and talk about sticky and staining!

It made a difference and i'm glad i did it.
Now if I could just get that buzzing sound that crops up in the piller between the front and rear doors while driving at interstate speeds to stop...
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 10:26 AM   #7
Ollie
Ollie will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom92SCm
I've added some of the Peel n Seal as well. It worked OK for me. I did one door one day, another door another day and so on so it was a slow process for me. It certainly wasn't like an "off switch" for the roads noise, but I think it helped out some. Maybe if I did all the doors at once I would have noticed it more.

Take a look at this link. A guy has a Honda Civic and strips the interior down to install some sound deadening. Pretty good read (but kinda long). He also compares different types of sound deadening.
http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

--Tom

I read this site and that's what made me decide SS or Dynamat Xtreme - but you think Peel n Seal would be good? I would just hate for that stuff to melt off....
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."
-John Wayne-
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 11:34 PM   #8
Dante
Master Member
Dante is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie
I read this site and that's what made me decide SS or Dynamat Xtreme - but you think Peel n Seal would be good? I would just hate for that stuff to melt off....
I personally put Dynamat on my 4 doors (just the steel part inside the door skins, nothing actually on the plastic), and just a little on the rear wheel wells (the leftover bits). It made a huge difference, although there is still road noise. On the inside of the doors, there is a square-ish grid inside the door skins, and it will make an installation of any sort of stick-on peeling deadener a real pain in the arse. I considered using some sort of spray foam stuff, but just left it as it was for now.

I peeled up the moisture barrier, applied the dynamat to all the metal surfaces, then put the barrier back in place. I also put the foam baffles around the front speakers when I replaced them to try to minimze the amount of air rushing in my speaker grilles, but it didn't really do much. At the very least, it should keep the speakers dry and keep them from getting messed up.

If you search around here, there are pics of people who have ripped out their entire interior and laid dynamat everywhere up to the beltline. It's expensive, and it will add a good 50 to 100 pounds of weight to your ride, but it will make it quieter.
Tupperware cars FTW!!!
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 03:05 AM   #9
scotted73
Advanced Member
scotted73 is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

I removed both front seats, the center console and the carpet to Dynamat the floor. I covered from the firewall back to the rear seat area. The Dynamat does make a difference in cutting down on road noise and helping the music sound better in the cabin. With the doors and the floor I have probably added about 30 lbs.

The following link has two pictures of a before/after shot (reply#5)
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49077
scotted73 is offline   Reply With Quote