SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2010, 04:19 PM   #1
kris V
kris V is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
Dizzy 99 sc2 rear quarter glass

Does anyone know how to remove the rear passenger quarter glass on a 99 sc2 my was broken when i walked out this morning, I took the trim off and doesn't seem to be screwed on it only has a riveted thing on one corner.Thanks in advance

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kris V's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kris V reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kris V is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2010, 06:37 PM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: 99 sc2 rear quarter glass

If it's like my '96 then you "just" need a reciprocating saw & flat stiff plastic paddle (like a putty knife but plastic), instead of the normal saw blade. That's all the glass guy used to remove it from my '95 SC1 parts car to put on my '96 SC2.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:47 PM   #3
kris V
kris V is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2

thank u so much so what you're saying is just stick the putty knife in between the glass and car and pull it off

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kris V's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kris V reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kris V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:53 PM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

That's all the guy did, though I'd imagine a metal putty knife would be apt to scratch the crud out of the glass.

He went from the inside of the car, and ran the sawzall all around the window cutting the "glue" roughly in half. Not sure what he used to clean the "glue" completely off the glass, but he had it all off before putting new "glue" on the car, then set the glass in place and pressed it in.

Looked like a really simple procedure that the lack of info on here makes seem ridiculously complicated.

New rear quarter glass in my case would have been $230 (windshield for '97 SC1 from same company was $180) but they were able to swap it for $100.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:36 PM   #5
spettro9
spettro9 is on a distinguished road

2001 SC1

Why the h*ll is this piece made of glass?

I've been trying for years to figure out how to get it off, and now there's a leak behind there, I have to.

2001 Silver SC1, from craigslist in Clifton, NJ 2011/01/21, with 70k miles, $3K,
27 normal (winter 25 mpg) / 37-40 highway
(just have to watch oil a bit... seems to be 3/4 qt in 1000 miles, )

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spettro9's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spettro9 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spettro9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:52 AM   #6
spettro9
spettro9 is on a distinguished road

2001 SC1

I'm going to add my observations with the rear quarter glass on my 2001 SC1

I had been hunting a little leak for a while now, and was determined to get the door molding off, but could never see how to get that quarter panel off.
I didn't even know it was glass.
I pried up a bit with a flat bar to see how it was put on and I broke it.
I cleaned up the glass (involving taking quarter panel fender off..)

It's pretty much put on with a thick consistent bead of caulk/adhesive or similar from the factory. The bead goes along about 2" inside the edge all the way around.
There's 2 more rectangles of caulk/adhesive inside that bead, towards the front.

I would NOT want to try using a sawzall. The only way I could see is a long flexible (sharp) blade... going all the way around.

If you see the cones from the inside (one blue, black, and white) they are just there to help with locating it when installing; they are not fasteners of any kind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rear quarter glass.jpg (17.0 KB, 10 views)

2001 Silver SC1, from craigslist in Clifton, NJ 2011/01/21, with 70k miles, $3K,
27 normal (winter 25 mpg) / 37-40 highway
(just have to watch oil a bit... seems to be 3/4 qt in 1000 miles, )

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spettro9's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spettro9 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spettro9 is offline   Reply With Quote