SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Red Line
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2018, 11:30 PM   #1
Outlaws14y6
Outlaws14y6 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION Red Line
Default 2004 Ion Redline " James Bond " edition 😂 any assistance appreciated

Just bought a 2004 Saturn Ion Redline about a month ago. 90,000 miles on it. Not sure what, if any, mods are done to it except for the fact that it does have a slightly smaller pulley on the supercharger. An Intense 2.90. Haven't really gone too far into it. Looking forward to having some fun with it but already got off to bad start. Haven't even driven it 100 miles since I bought it. Had it for 2 days, was cruising down the highway one day and suddenly started pulling a James Bond Smoke screen maneuver to all behind me. Noticed the dipstick had popped out of the tube. oil was all over engine and front end, as well. Got it to the shop and ran a compression test. No compression in first cylinder, 2nd and 3rd were low, and didn't get a chance to check the 4th. Any thoughts? My thoughts are blown head gasket, but I have no oil/ coolant mixture. Several other thoughts come to mind, but I am interested in thoughts of the group. This is my first go with a supercharged engine. Thank you for the positive feedback in advance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Outlaws14y6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Outlaws14y6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Outlaws14y6 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2018, 12:50 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2004 Ion Redline " James Bond " edition 😂 any assistance appreciated

Idle speculation on my part as to why your engine smoked and destroyed(?) itself - too much boost pressure, stuck boost control solenoid? If all cylinder lost compression, it may be due to burned/holed pistons from too much power/ leaned out fuel. The smaller diameter supercharger pulley may be one hint of the previous owner attempting to meddle with a stock setup and you inherited a problem in the making with disastrous results? My guess is the smaller the s/c pulley the faster it turns to generate boost sooner. If this is true and boost control pressure manipulated for more boost over stock, blowing an engine may be the end result for meddling without a lot of info.

Descriptions from the service manual; 9.5:1 stock compression ratio, boost regulated to no more than 9 psi, an electronically controlled boost regulator from the ecm. With personal little knowledge of stock supercharging, this 2.0L factory supercharged engine is as sophisticated as it can come to tame the hidden problems many are not aware of. I would imagine 'tuning' by anyone without advanced information may make a perfectly good engine into a doorstop in less time than it takes to press down on the go pedal.

One way to find out damage is to remove the cylinder head. Look over the supercharging configuration for any more signs of meddling. As a stock engine, all the tuning was done long before the model was put on the showroom floor to make it a daily driver with a little oomph and carry a factory warranty (long since gone).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 05:55 PM   #3
Outlaws14y6
Outlaws14y6 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION Red Line
Default Re: 2004 Ion Redline " James Bond " edition 😂 any assistance appreciated

I kind of had that in mind too. Maybe there was something plugged up creating too much crankcase pressure. Hence the reason the dipstick popped out. Checked the PCV valve, but it was fine. Started it back up, revved it to about 4000rpm, dipstick popped out again. Didn't think of a stuck boost control solenoid though. Interesting. I appreciate the input. Really didn't get a chance to open it up on the highway before this happened. Hoping to get the time this coming week to take the head off. It still sounds good when it is started up, despite a noticable miss. Was curious to see if anyone else has had this happen to them. Hoping it isn't anything too bad.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Outlaws14y6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Outlaws14y6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Outlaws14y6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 07:58 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The engine restarting as if nothing occurred is strange.........zero compression then regaining compression is not normal. In addition, blowing out the oil dipstick indicates excessive crankcase pressures generated, especially when you revved the engine in place. Mistiming? Something isn't right when the engine suddenly blows oil out the dipstick tube. Every engine has its piston rings never sealing perfectly with blowby gases generated at every combustion cycle with some combustion gases getting by rings. This goes into the crankcase and routed back thru either passages in the cylinder head, ported out the cam cover to a tube to feed gases thru a pcv valve to the intake air system or without external hoses and routed into the rear of the throttle body. Crankcase ventilation in USA vehicles aren't allowed to vent to the atmosphere and recycled as part of emissions control systems. The vacuum generated during non supercharger operation/zero positive pressure in the intake manifold pulls crankcase gases back into the engine for reburning. There may be a hint why the dipstick is popping off and it may be from excessive crankcase pressures from sc boost via the bypass valve. I'm guessing boost pressures pumping up crankcase pressures. This would require some careful considerations of supercharger operation, the boost control system and where excessive boost is dumped.

If you have the original sc pulley, it may be wise to remove the aftermarket pulley and use the stock one to see if problems goes away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Boost control-1.jpg (144.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Boost control-2.jpg (141.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Boost control-3.jpg (191.8 KB, 2 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Crankcase Ventilation System Description.pdf (144.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: pdf Supercharger Description and Operation.pdf (96.9 KB, 1 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote