SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2020, 05:12 PM   #1
SuperDude76
SuperDude76 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
Default Code P0133

New to Saturns, so please forgive me. I have a 2002 SL2 135k miles w/auto trans and the service engine soon light came on. I went to a few auto parts place and they all said it was a code P0133 and suggested to change the O2 sensor. I did that but the light is still on. What should I check next?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SuperDude76's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SuperDude76 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SuperDude76 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2020, 05:45 PM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: Code P0133

It won't clear instantly, you'll either have to drive around for a while (50-60 miles minimum) to complete a drive cycle or go back to a FLAPS and ask them to clear the code for you.

Last time I had that code I could drive the 6 miles to/from work for 3 days (on->drive 6mi->off; repeat 6x) and it'd go out, but once I had to go anywhere that was 20+ miles away it'd come back on. Was in a different GM vehicle but might work for you too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 10:53 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

A third gen Saturn should have (at that time) the latest OBD II diagnostics program. At best, replacing the O2 upstream exhaust manifold mounted O2 sensor with the correct replacement should turn off the check engine light almost immediately since the sensor begins heating up from exhaust the moment the engine is started up. Other aftermarket O2 sensors may or may not function correctly and create additional problems. A perfect example is a member recently misled by an exact replacement part.

A thread about intermittent starting with replacing several parts seemed to correct the problem until it reared its ugly head a week or two later with the same symptoms. The problem seemed to be a faulty crank sensor, replaced with the same GM part. The new part worked but the problem returned. Time spent with two repair shops didn't seem to find the problem so this member called in a mobile tech to meet the repair shop to go over symptoms. The replacement crank sensor also exhibited the same symptoms as the original one. A second replacement fixed the problem. It's understandable for and original sensor to fail but a new one fails the same way? Rare but did occur with a long thread about it. A new GM replacement crank sensor failed soon after installation and duplicated the same symptoms as the original one.

While considering whether or not the replacement O2 sensor is the correct one for your car, some background info can help; https://www.engine-codes.com/p0133_saturn.html. If a member has access to service manuals and can reprint the error code description, explanation, and troubleshooting procedures, Saturn manuals should be referred to first before relying on third party sites with similar descriptions.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:21 PM   #4
SuperDude76
SuperDude76 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

Thanks, any other suggestions?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SuperDude76's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SuperDude76 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SuperDude76 is offline   Reply With Quote