SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail


Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2020, 10:23 PM   #1
deezdrama
New Member
deezdrama is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 4
Question Coolant leak at trans line bung on radiator, loose line nut. Fixable or new radiator?

Was suppossed to do brakes on a daughters friends car today but she had a coolant leak so put it on ramps and took a look.

The bung fitting in the radiator for the trans fluid cooler line is missing the line nut which I believe is what seals the fitting to the plastic tank of the radiator.
This line nut was loose on the trans line and it seems way too big for the fitting.
I believe this nut just threads onto the fitting and pulls the fitting snug to the radiator tank creating the seal, it will not thread on at all and way too loose.

Or is this piece not threaded and just broke off the radiator and she needs a new radiator?
Ive never seen this happen on a radiator before.
Any ideas?

https://youtu.be/I_wanvxh1ZI
deezdrama is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2020, 01:30 AM   #2
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of
 
pierrot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Glendora, CA
Posts: 3,901
 

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Coolant leak at trans line bung on radiator, loose line nut. Fixable or new radia

Welcome to SaturnFans, deezdrama! The leak that you're attempting to correct is unusual. This is the first time I'd ever seen someone bring forward a problem with the retaining nut for one of the fittings of the automatic transmission cooler in the radiator. What model vehicle are you working on? There is no reference to it here so providing the year, model, and engine size would be very helpful.

Look for User CP at the upper left of the SaturnFans information bar: >User CP>Edit Your Details (under Your Profile)>scroll down the page to Primary Saturn Year, and Primary Saturn Model Type click in the fields and select the appropriate responses.

If you don't have an L-Series car you might do well to repost the message in the appropriate Model sub-forum.

Lastly, it also seems to me that the nut in the video appears to be the wrong size for the fitting at the radiator tank. (However, the radiators I've had on my car haven't had a tank shaped like the one in your video.) BTW, since you have two cooler lines at the radiator tank; does the retaining nut at the other fitting have the same kind of large nut that is presented in the video?
...
339,000 miles - Holy canolli!
Joe Biden for POTUS and Kamala Harris for VEEP. What follows if they get their way? A bad economy, weak military, increased terrorism and a greater RED CHINA.
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 02:37 AM   #3
deezdrama
New Member
deezdrama is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 4
Default Re: Coolant leak at trans line bung on radiator, loose line nut. Fixable or new radia

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
Welcome to SaturnFans, deezdrama! The leak that you're attempting to correct is unusual. This is the first time I'd ever seen someone bring forward a problem with the retaining nut for one of the fittings of the automatic transmission cooler in the radiator. What model vehicle are you working on? There is no reference to it here so providing the year, model, and engine size would be very helpful.

Look for User CP at the upper left of the SaturnFans information bar: >User CP>Edit Your Details (under Your Profile)>scroll down the page to Primary Saturn Year, and Primary Saturn Model Type click in the fields and select the appropriate responses.

If you don't have an L-Series car you might do well to repost the message in the appropriate Model sub-forum.

Lastly, it also seems to me that the nut in the video appears to be the wrong size for the fitting at the radiator tank. (However, the radiators I've had on my car haven't had a tank shaped like the one in your video.) BTW, since you have two cooler lines at the radiator tank; does the retaining nut at the other fitting have the same kind of large nut that is presented in the video?
Thanks for the reply,
Sorry I forgot the vehicle info
2002 L100 2.2l 4cyl


Heres a video right after I pulled it onto my ramps, you can see it seeping from the fittings perimeter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf3E...ature=youtu.be

She ended up wanting to wait to do brakes untill sat so the car was in and out and didnt look to see if other fitting was the same size or not.

The trans cooler line nut had a rounded corner so its possible someone replaced the radiator at some point.

Ive replaced alot of radiators but never seen one leak like this or that fittings nut having came off/left off like that.

O'reillys said they had no clue and to ask a dealer
deezdrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:00 AM   #4
Dsaturn
Member
Dsaturn is just really niceDsaturn is just really niceDsaturn is just really niceDsaturn is just really nice
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: West Virginia.
Posts: 349
 

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Coolant leak at trans line bung on radiator, loose line nut. Fixable or new radia

How many miles on the car? If over 100k I would just replace the Radiator because they tend to start leaking between the side tanks and the cooling fins. Aftermarket radiators are pretty cheap on Rockauto, Ebay and even Amazon. I payed $80 dollars for mine. Easy job to replace also. DO NOT USE STOP LEAK!
...
https://www.infowars.com/ The answer to 1984 is 1776. We are not a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic. A Democracy is Two Wolfs and a sheep deciding what is for Lunch!
Dsaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:09 AM   #5
Rj 2000 LS2
Member
Rj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the roughRj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the roughRj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the roughRj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the rough
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: NE Wisconsin
Posts: 463

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Coolant leak at trans line bung on radiator, loose line nut. Fixable or new radia

I know you said you saw the leak from the fitting, but I wouldn't only concentrate on that fitting as the leak. There looks like a considerable amount of coolant soaking the cross member and it could be coming from other locations and merely "splashing" up to the fitting.

Also, don't fester on the large nut. Obviously, someone left it there. I once had my harmonic balancer left on the tie rod after some work was done by a garage. It was the last time I allowed anyone to touch our car again!
Rj 2000 LS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 11:43 AM   #6
deezdrama
New Member
deezdrama is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 4
Default Re: Coolant leak at trans line bung on radiator, loose line nut. Fixable or new radia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rj 2000 LS2 View Post
I know you said you saw the leak from the fitting, but I wouldn't only concentrate on that fitting as the leak. There looks like a considerable amount of coolant soaking the cross member and it could be coming from other locations and merely "splashing" up to the fitting.

Also, don't fester on the large nut. Obviously, someone left it there. I once had my harmonic balancer left on the tie rod after some work was done by a garage. It was the last time I allowed anyone to touch our car again!
It was definately coming from that fitting. I had the coolant resevoir cap off to add coolant in that second video and while the cap was off it was leaking much faster and trickling down the trans line and pooling in the cross member.

Im kind of leaning towards the radiator needing replaced as well. Those big fitting nuts are part of the radiator and I searched all over the internet and cant see them being sold.
The fitting definately had threads but the nut looked stripped or like it corroded off.
I didnt check mileage but I would guess over 100k so probably due for replacement like mentioned.
deezdrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:36 PM   #7
bromli
Member
bromli is on a distinguished road
 
bromli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: NJ
Posts: 53

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Coolant leak at trans line bung on radiator, loose line nut. Fixable or new radia

What a coincidence, I am having this EXACT issue on my 2.2l ecotec! Just like you, I had the nut on the bottom corrode off completely. I don't know the history of my car but given how much I am replacing right about now it seems that I still have the factory radiator on my car. I ordered a new radiator, I figured if I am going to take the whole operation out then I might as well spend the small sum of money and throw a new radiator in there. I'll keep up with this thread and let you know how it goes once I put the new one in!
bromli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 08:52 PM   #8
deezdrama
New Member
deezdrama is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 4
Default Re: Coolant leak at trans line bung on radiator, loose line nut. Fixable or new radia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bromli View Post
What a coincidence, I am having this EXACT issue on my 2.2l ecotec! Just like you, I had the nut on the bottom corrode off completely. I don't know the history of my car but given how much I am replacing right about now it seems that I still have the factory radiator on my car. I ordered a new radiator, I figured if I am going to take the whole operation out then I might as well spend the small sum of money and throw a new radiator in there. I'll keep up with this thread and let you know how it goes once I put the new one in!
I think Im lined up to replace the radiator next week on this vehicle. How did it go?

Anyone know if this would work for 02 L100...


https://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Premi...omotive&sr=1-8

Last edited by deezdrama; 10-06-2020 at 09:06 PM.
deezdrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 09:57 AM   #9
lrbraner
Member
lrbraner is a jewel in the roughlrbraner is a jewel in the roughlrbraner is a jewel in the rough
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Ft. Wayne, IN
Posts: 209

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Re: Coolant leak at trans line bung on radiator, loose line nut. Fixable or new radia

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezdrama View Post
I think Im lined up to replace the radiator next week on this vehicle. How did it go?

Anyone know if this would work for 02 L100...


https://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Premi...omotive&sr=1-8
I dont think so. According to Rockauto the correct Spectra number is CU2607
...
2002 L300 Sedan
2003 LW300 Wagon
2005 L300 Sedan
lrbraner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 02:50 PM   #10
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of
 
pierrot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Glendora, CA
Posts: 3,901
 

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Coolant leak at trans line bung on radiator, loose line nut. Fixable or new radia

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrbraner View Post
I dont think so. According to Rockauto the correct Spectra number is CU2607
Yes, the correct number for Spectra Premium is 2607. However, be careful with this as they may have consolidated the application to cover both the 2.2L, 4 cyl. engine and the 3.0L V6. If at all possible, look for a picture description which verifies that this radiator does NOT have the extra nipple at the top of the lefthand radiator tank as it is used for the V6. On our cars the factory radiator doesn't have any nipple-like tube present.

About five years ago I ordered a Spectra Premium radiator which was not supposed to have that nipple on it, but it did anyway as they'd superseded the number for the four cylinder engine into that of the V6. To get around the the concern of a nipple being unneeded, they provided a cap and a clamp to block it off. Sadly, the cap didn't last all that long and I had to replace it a couple of times as it was leaking. About a year ago one of the radiator tanks began to leak. I replaced it with an OSC brand radiator which definitely did not have the nipple on the lefthand tank. It turned out to be a good choice.
...
339,000 miles - Holy canolli!
Joe Biden for POTUS and Kamala Harris for VEEP. What follows if they get their way? A bad economy, weak military, increased terrorism and a greater RED CHINA.
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 09:16 AM   #11
lrbraner
Member
lrbraner is a jewel in the roughlrbraner is a jewel in the roughlrbraner is a jewel in the rough
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Ft. Wayne, IN
Posts: 209

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Re: Coolant leak at trans line bung on radiator, loose line nut. Fixable or new radia

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
Yes, the correct number for Spectra Premium is 2607. However, be careful with this as they may have consolidated the application to cover both the 2.2L, 4 cyl. engine and the 3.0L V6. If at all possible, look for a picture description which verifies that this radiator does NOT have the extra nipple at the top of the lefthand radiator tank as it is used for the V6. On our cars the factory radiator doesn't have any nipple-like tube present.

About five years ago I ordered a Spectra Premium radiator which was not supposed to have that nipple on it, but it did anyway as they'd superseded the number for the four cylinder engine into that of the V6. To get around the the concern of a nipple being unneeded, they provided a cap and a clamp to block it off. Sadly, the cap didn't last all that long and I had to replace it a couple of times as it was leaking. About a year ago one of the radiator tanks began to leak. I replaced it with an OSC brand radiator which definitely did not have the nipple on the lefthand tank. It turned out to be a good choice.
That is a good point.
...
2002 L300 Sedan
2003 LW300 Wagon
2005 L300 Sedan
lrbraner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Radiator Trans Cooler Line Question termite S-Series Tech 6 01-04-2016 01:35 PM
Radiator Transmission Coolant Line Tip rtfm17 S-Series Tech 3 12-11-2015 12:38 PM
Small transmission fluid leak from radiator transmission cooler line EvanVanVan S-Series Tech 5 10-13-2014 07:55 PM
Transmission line/radiator question.. turboh22aakkord S-Series Tech 11 10-10-2014 04:41 PM
Can't get transmission line off radiator BassHypnotist S-Series Tech 4 11-14-2011 01:55 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:17 AM.

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
SaturnFans.com. The Saturn Enthusiasts Site.