SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech

Old 10-18-2020, 11:05 AM   #1
Simcoewaters
Simcoewaters is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Sedan
Default circuit question B post continuity to ground

This seems odd to me. With the battery disconnected in the trunk and my VOM set for measuring continuity I placed the red prong of the VOM on the +B post, under the hood, and touched the black prong of the VOM to the engine block (ground). I did not expect any continuity. I was wrong. Do I have problem? I was preparing to carry out a continuity test on the wires that feed the starter when I encountered this.
Simcoewaters is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2020, 05:53 PM   #2
imaddicted2u
Advanced Member
imaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE
Default Re: circuit question B post continuity to ground

How many ohms? I would expect some resistance as you are reading back through the components in the car so don't expect an open circuit. Short the + and - cables together to discharge capacitors, then check. You will likely see the resistance changing as the capacitors charge. You might see a difference if you change the polarity of the meter leads.
You'd be better to do a parasitic current draw test to see if anything is drawing to much when the car is off.
This video describes the current draw test and what you should expect to find foe the current draw.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR4uKca38bk
2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5L 4 spd
2000 Saturn SL1 1.9L SOHC (Retired)
imaddicted2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 12:26 AM   #3
Simcoewaters
Simcoewaters is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Sedan

Thanks imaddicted2u I will try this in the morning. I had set my multi meter to beep if there was continuity so I didn't get an ohms reading. The battery had been disconnected for 12 hours. I hadn't thought about capacitors. This said, I would think after 12 hours with the battery disconnected they would be discharged. As for the parasitic draw test I did one a year ago and pulled the fuse serving onstar. The video you sent me is fantastic. I will do another draw test in the morning. From what your saying continuity between the B+ post and my ground isn't an issue? Thanks
Simcoewaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:18 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Are you flying blind or have wiring diagrams? Are you aware of Ions using electronic starting? Conventional starting circuits are 'old school' with 12v from (heavy duty) ignition switches sent to the starter. Electronic starting, using smaller ignition switches designed for low voltage circuits, may be thought as push button starting in popular vehicles. Ions are only one step back from having an actual push button START but has similar electronics to start the engine. Are you aware of a service bulletin addressing faulty ignition switches with GM recalling several models for this problem? Early Ions had ignition switch faults with excessive grease interfering with cold weather starting, triggering security, locking out drivers from starting. Ion security disables the starting circuit - dead silence when turning the key to START with security flashing.

Electronic starting has the (a)ignition switch sending a low voltage (5V?) start signal to the (b engine computer after a (c)security check (GM Passlock) to send a different start signal that (d)powers a relay that closes a set of electrical contacts sending 12v to the starter. Unless you have wiring diagrams, you may be flying blind trying to troubleshoot a starting problem.

There are threads about Ion starting. This link has wiring diagrams for starting Ions; http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=222473, post #2. It's presumed all Ions share the same electronic starting circuit and should be applicable here. Other threads should have descriptions of Passlock security interaction with starting and disabling starting if security is flashing during starting.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote