SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Old 10-08-2020, 09:43 PM   #1
Eletronicslam
Eletronicslam is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Question Battery drain on l100

I have a 2002 saturn l100 that will die overnight (battery was replaced (dec2019) so I got a multimeter and went testing on the fuses the only fuse i saw drawing anything was the one near the oil reset light 10 amp controls b+ the only thing I can find for 2.2 is that it drives the pcm check wires going to it doesn't look frayed the connecters look good
Does anyone have a good wiring diagram that shows what all it runs any recommendations on fixing this anyone else have this problem.
Thinking it could an ignition switch issue just want to hear others opinions and experiences.
Eletronicslam is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2020, 10:38 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Battery drain on l100

Some suggestions on checking things may help.

1-What's standby battery voltage?
2-What's battery voltage with engine running?
3-What amperage was displayed? Overall parasitic battery drain is described as less than 50-75 milliamp, 0.050-0.070 ma. Overall parasitic drain should be measured at battery negative cable connection to battery with doors closed, all lights off including the dome light. The very low amp draw are the sum total of all memory chips drawing power for keep alive memory - ecm, pcm, bcm, radio presets and clock.
4-If OnStar is installed but no longer used and disabled by GM, the backup battery (non rechargeable for one time use) will die and may trigger OnStar to make frequent calls to headquarters, draining the battery with up to 250ma of current. A service bulletin was put out long ago to have dealers disconnect power to the OnStar vcim or remove the OnStar fuse to prevent it from making periodic calls long after OnStar service was discontinued (due to the dead backup battery).
5-Any aftermarket electronics?
6-Any plugged in power adapters to the power outlet that's on all the time?
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 10:47 PM   #3
imaddicted2u
Advanced Member
imaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Did you use the meter to a parasitic draw test and pull fuses one at a time to see when the load drops to narrow it down to the circuit...Don't try to start the car or do anything that draws a lot of current because you will blow the fuse in the meter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR4uKca38bk
2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5L 4 spd
2000 Saturn SL1 1.9L SOHC (Retired)
imaddicted2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 10:19 AM   #4
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Just because it is a "new" battery, doesn't mean it can't go bad. It also relies on the alternator to keep it charged. A bad alternator can and will kill any battery.

You might want to have the battery condition checked out by the people you bought it from. At least if that checks out OK, it's one culprit off the list.
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 03:53 PM   #5
Russet
Russet has a spectacular aura aboutRusset has a spectacular aura about

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

To me overnight dying battery is either a bad battery or Alternator not charging battery properly or works but doesn't charge a faulty battery. As other mentioned take out the batter to test it. Also do you get a battery light warning that comes on?
Russet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 07:26 AM   #6
Eletronicslam
Eletronicslam is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russet View Post
To me overnight dying battery is either a bad battery or Alternator not charging battery properly or works but doesn't charge a faulty battery. As other mentioned take out the batter to test it. Also do you get a battery light warning that comes on?
So update since this I have replaced the alternator was putting out ac current likely bad diode draining the battery
Which of course took the battery with it luckily it was still under warranty so new battery now and starter was just replaced likely will be again
I'm going to parts store today to get e4 torx for the ignition switch as I believe it to be bad went out last night due to the alarm system going crazy smoke everywhere and the casing of starter leaking liquid plastic while very clearly trying to engage with the ignition off and keys out of the ignition
After playing with the ignition switch back and forth I was able to get the starter to stop engaging but for obvious reasons the battery is disconnected til I find out if the heat took anything else with it
And to answer the questions above car drove as
Normal if driven ounce a day which is why didn't think about the alternator or battery and the battery was replaced last December and no never had a battery light come on
Here's a Pic of the starter a few minutes after I disconnect the battery https://photos.app.goo.gl/Y3NxQJzawKqZFwqz7
Eletronicslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 11:14 AM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The starter appears to look normal. Perhaps the next time a snapshot is posted, place notes away from the object to prevent obscuring it or turn the cellphone so the image won't be obscured by notes over it. Disable auto leveling if necessary.

If the ignition switch caused the starter to always have power, the yellow wire from the ignition switch travels around to the park/neutral safety switch and fuse panel before turning purple as the starter wire. The START (12v) signal is hot only when the ignition switch is held in START position. This sends 12v to the starter relay to energize the coil. The starter relay powering up during starting closes a set of heavy duty relay contacts (internally) to apply battery power to the starter motor, engaging the starter gear to turn the engine over. Constant power from the yellow START wire from the ignition switch damage may be the reason for the starter constantly running. You'll have to examine wiring to the ignition switch and starter to see if wiring burned, melted insulation, causing other damage.

Be aware that replacing the ignition switch requires security re-programming. Passlock security uses sensors to detect ignition switch rotation and a resistor pellet embedded into the switch. A security relearn procedure is needed when you see the security light flashing. Flashing security tells owners the car is disabled from running by disabling injector operation. Any attempt to start results in normal starter sounds but the engine will never fire up while security flashes.

Security relearn consists of turning ignition on for 10 minutes until security stops flashing, cycling ignition off then repeating two more times. On the fourth try, security should not flash/off when Passlock learns the new resistor value then allows the engine to run when starting.
VCX NANO
Old 10-17-2020, 12:11 PM   #8
Rj 2000 LS2
Rj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the roughRj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the roughRj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the roughRj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the rough

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

These reads as if Brandon wrote it. Battery bad, killed alternator, took out starter and obviously the key switch let the smoke out! Sorry, I couldn't help make observation.
Rj 2000 LS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 05:20 PM   #9
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The op, Eletronicslam, is a new member with a 2.2L L100..........
Old 10-17-2020, 09:30 PM   #10
Rj 2000 LS2
Rj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the roughRj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the roughRj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the roughRj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the rough

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

There can be many "Brandons" that sign up as other users. Just saying.
Rj 2000 LS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 10:01 PM   #11
imaddicted2u
Advanced Member
imaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

I can't explain what happened but I see what you mean about the starter getting hot. The ignition switch probably caused the starter to engage and the starter cranked until it melted the brush holder.
I put your pic next to a pic of a new starter. It looks like the connection from the solenoid into the motor got hot enough to melt the rubber connection cover and heated up the paint and melted the brush holder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg l100 starter hot.jpg (122.2 KB, 10 views)
2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5L 4 spd
2000 Saturn SL1 1.9L SOHC (Retired)
imaddicted2u is offline   Reply With Quote