SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech

Old 10-08-2020, 12:59 PM   #1
AzMissMona
AzMissMona is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Question Replacing water pump 2004 Ion 2, have a few ???

I'm replacing the water pump on my 2004 Ion 2 Coupe 2.2 with 209,875 miles and want to know:

Is it better or easier to buy the pump that comes with the sprocket and cover or without? I have a big fear of doing this job because of the possibility of timing chain movement. I know I need the GM tool to hold the sprocket in place while changing the pump, so how do you change it out if you have the sprocket already attached to the new pump?

Should I just change the timing chain while I've got the water pump removed? Or is that too hard for a back yard mechanic with mid-range skills?

If anyone can offer some tips and tricks to get me through this one, greatly appreciate ANY advice. Thanks
AzMissMona is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2020, 01:12 PM   #2
Bill Murray
Master Member
Bill Murray is a jewel in the roughBill Murray is a jewel in the roughBill Murray is a jewel in the roughBill Murray is a jewel in the rough

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe
1997 SC1
Default Re: Replacing water pump 2004 Ion 2, have a few ???

I've never done one of these, but I consulted with a friend who has done 32 Ecotec timing chain replacements. He said at 200,000 plus miles it's worth the time and effort. He recommends ACDelco or Cloyes parts. There are several good videos on YT that show the process, so I wouldn't be too worried, just go slow check every step.

And here's a blog type post with pictures showing the process
http://www.originalmechanic.com/2016...ain-on-gm.html
Bill Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 12:06 AM   #3
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzMissMona View Post
I'm replacing the water pump on my 2004 Ion 2 Coupe 2.2 with 209,875 miles and want to know:

Is it better or easier to buy the pump that comes with the sprocket and cover or without? I have a big fear of doing this job because of the possibility of timing chain movement. I know I need the GM tool to hold the sprocket in place while changing the pump, so how do you change it out if you have the sprocket already attached to the new pump?

Should I just change the timing chain while I've got the water pump removed? Or is that too hard for a back yard mechanic with mid-range skills?

If anyone can offer some tips and tricks to get me through this one, greatly appreciate ANY advice. Thanks
Well, the holding tool needs to be bolted to the sprocket, and the sprocket needs to be separated from the water pump anyways. It's pointless to buy a water pump with a new sprocket unless one is also removing the timing cover and replacing all of the other timing components. This would also negate the need for the sprocket holding tool.

You could replace all the timing components, but it's a lot more work then just replacing the water pump. I know a lot of folks will disagree, but I wouldn't touch the timing chain unless you have symptoms that indicate you should. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 183K miles *gone*
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 198K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 56K miles
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 01:13 PM   #4
waiter21
Advanced Member
waiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to all

2003 VUE 2.2L

I replaced the water pump on my 2.2l Vue last winter. Not a big deal. I rented a half moon holder from one of the car part places. I installed a new pump and thermostat. I did not remove the exhaust manifold or loosten the thermostat distribution housing as some procedures call for..

I did a writeup on this forum:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=266341

At 209k miles, It might be worth doing a timing chain. Maybe.... Obviously doing the water pump at the same time as the timing chain makes life easier, BUT.... Will the timing chain and components run 300K?? At minimum, I'd check to make sure you have version #3 (the latest version) of the tensioner.. If not, I'd definitely change it..
2003 Vue - 2.2L with Manual Trans. (Swapped)
Originally had 2.2L and Auto trans.

Last edited by waiter21; 10-22-2020 at 01:25 PM.
waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 02:31 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

AzMissMona, are you aware of two(2) timing chains in 2.2L ecotec engines? The main timing chain for the overhead camshafts and the balance chain driving the balance shaft and water pump. Below is one seller showing both timing chains. The second chain behind the engine timing chain is the balance chain. A counter balance shaft is driven off this chain to smooth 4 cyl vibrations. Find a non ecotec 4 cyl engine and you'll feel the difference why the counter balance shaft was invented.

As mentioned, replacing one or both chains is not for the average diyer never performing timing belt replacement. No second guessing allowed. A mistake can damage the engine on the first startup. If I'm not mistaken, the balance chain cannot be removed until the timing chain comes off.

There are many YouTube videos as well as threads within these forums of members replacing their water pumps on 2.2L engines.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (157.1 KB, 4 views)
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote