SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2018, 06:44 PM   #1
jemstudio
jemstudio is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L
Default ticking sound at start up

I get a ticking sound on startup 2007 vue 2.2 l 4 cyl but it only lasts a moment then goes away? sounds like a spark sound or a lifter sound not really sure but like I said it goes away fast or should I say the sound gets lower after a minute or so.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jemstudio's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jemstudio reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jemstudio is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2018, 07:59 PM   #2
RGRG68
RGRG68 has a spectacular aura aboutRGRG68 has a spectacular aura aboutRGRG68 has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: ticking sound at start up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemstudio View Post
I get a ticking sound on startup 2007 vue 2.2 l 4 cyl but it only lasts a moment then goes away? sounds like a spark sound or a lifter sound not really sure but like I said it goes away fast or should I say the sound gets lower after a minute or so.
Does the ticking ever go away completely? Usually lifters just get quieter, But sometimes they do seem to disappear as the engine warms up.. A spark plug wire will tick the entire time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RGRG68's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RGRG68 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RGRG68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:33 PM   #3
jemstudio

2007 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGRG68 View Post
Does the ticking ever go away completely? Usually lifters just get quieter, But sometimes they do seem to disappear as the engine warms up.. A spark plug wire will tick the entire time.
it goes away within a minute or 2 on cold start then I don't hear it anymore.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jemstudio reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-22-2018, 07:40 AM   #4
john95SW2
Advanced Member
john95SW2 will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 2.2L

Mine (2004) did the same thing - took longer to go away in the cold weather than in the summer. Turned out to be the exhaust manifold - one of the bolts broke. Once the manifold was replaced and bolt repaired, noise gone.

I drove it for about 7 years that way. I wouldn't have ever fixed it but it finally caused a check engine light cause the O2 sensor would get confused because of the leak.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to john95SW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help john95SW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
john95SW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 02:39 AM   #5
jemstudio

2007 VUE 2.2L

seems to be getting louder and lasting a little longer ... the sound is driving me nuts

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-04-2018, 07:40 AM   #6
99WhiteC5Coupe
99WhiteC5Coupe will become famous soon enough99WhiteC5Coupe will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemstudio View Post
seems to be getting louder and lasting a little longer ... the sound is driving me nuts

Do you have the correct OEM oil filter and correct viscosity oil installed on the engine? Is the engine oil level correct?

A poor-quality aftermarket oil filter (or one that is partially clogged) can cause oil starvation at engine start-up, and the ticking noise. Incorrect oil viscosity can also cause engine ticking at start-up. A low engine oil level can also cause ticking at start-up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 99WhiteC5Coupe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 99WhiteC5Coupe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
99WhiteC5Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:09 AM   #7
thegreatbriguy
thegreatbriguy has a spectacular aura aboutthegreatbriguy has a spectacular aura aboutthegreatbriguy has a spectacular aura about

2005 VUE 2.2L
2004 VUE 2.2L

Are you sure its not the timing chain? it can sound a little diesely or like a tick when the tensioner is first going bad. its on the passenger side of the engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thegreatbriguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thegreatbriguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
thegreatbriguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:29 PM   #8
jemstudio

2007 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99WhiteC5Coupe View Post
Do you have the correct OEM oil filter and correct viscosity oil installed on the engine? Is the engine oil level correct?

A poor-quality aftermarket oil filter (or one that is partially clogged) can cause oil starvation at engine start-up, and the ticking noise. Incorrect oil viscosity can also cause engine ticking at start-up. A low engine oil level can also cause ticking at start-up.
everything up to par... can't
figure it out

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-04-2018, 07:30 PM   #9
jemstudio

2007 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatbriguy View Post
Are you sure its not the timing chain? it can sound a little diesely or like a tick when the tensioner is first going bad. its on the passenger side of the engine.
gotta check that out ty

REWARD EXCELLENCE!