SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2006, 02:28 PM   #1
defy69
Advanced Member
defy69 is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-1 Sedan
Default blinker issue

so my front right blinker wont blink. it will come on as a DRL but when i flip the stick on the steering colum, the IP arrow blinks double time.

any ideas? i really need to get this fixed soon, so any help is appreciated

http://www.ionforums.net/garage.php?mode=view_vehicle&CID=27
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2190499

"you never really learn to swear until you start driving"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to defy69's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help defy69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
defy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2006, 02:33 PM   #2
delivery man
Advanced Member
delivery man is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Re: blinker issue

The same thing started happening to my ION about a couple of weeks ago. I haven't figured out what is wrong yet though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to delivery man's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help delivery man reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
delivery man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 05:00 PM   #3
robert4380
robert4380 is on a distinguished road

Are you sure you don't have a tail light out? Sometimes that'll cause the blinker on the dash to go faster. Also, it could be a problem with the daytime running light socket itself. My '05 Ion had a similar problem. Sometimes it would light up, and sometimes it wouldn't. Maybe hitting a bump in the road would jar it enough to work for a bit and then it'd go out again, who knows. Anyway, the guy at the Saturn dealer told me there's a "campaign" on daytime running lights, so it was replaced under warranty (Almost every GM car out there, particularily Silverado pickups, seems to have at least one running light burnt out). If they do replace the socket, just make sure they REALIGN THE HEADLIGHT correctly. I've tried to have them fix it twice and every time I pull up to my garage door with my headlights on I can tell it's crooked.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to robert4380's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help robert4380 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
robert4380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 05:25 PM   #4
okhalid83
okhalid83 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan

yeah check for any blown bulbs...if any of the bulbs are gone whether its front or back...it will cause the lights to blink faster

06 ION-2 Sedan 5 speed- miles increasing

* 20% Tint all around *
* RACTIVE Dual Tip Exhaust *
* 8000k HID kit *
* 17' Drag DR14 wheels on 225/45/17 *

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2374384

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to okhalid83's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help okhalid83 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
okhalid83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 09:24 PM   #5
defy69
Advanced Member
defy69 is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-1 Sedan

none of the bulbs are broken, that was the first thing i check. the tails are fine and they blink when i flip the switch. its just the front that wont blink when its suppose to but will operate as a DRL

http://www.ionforums.net/garage.php?mode=view_vehicle&CID=27
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2190499

"you never really learn to swear until you start driving"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to defy69's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help defy69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
defy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 09:26 PM   #6
joshq
joshq is on a distinguished road

check the fuse

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to joshq's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help joshq reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
joshq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:59 PM   #7
bakerman
bakerman is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan

I also had the same thing happen.I read here somewhere that if you have something plugged into your 12v outlet(mine was the one facing the rear seats) that it messed it up some how.I had a heated seat cushion plugged into it and every so often this would happen.I stopped using it and it never happened again.Things that make you go Hmmmmm!!!!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bakerman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bakerman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bakerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 01:48 AM   #8
Bigdaddy94sc2
Bigdaddy94sc2 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan
2005 VUE 3.5L

Does replacing the bulb make the problem go away? They are dual filament bulbs, using one for the DRL, and another for the Signal..... Probably just that, and if not, you have spares and are only out $4 or so.

It could also be some of the things mentioned, but try replacing the bulb first.

GM, Saturn, and ASE certified Technician. Always glad to try to help, just ask!!! Now own an 06 ION.2 as of 7/2/06 with 2988 and counting (7/28/06) 13131 as of (1/8/07) 24901 as of (7/30/07)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bigdaddy94sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bigdaddy94sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bigdaddy94sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 06:24 AM   #9
jmettee
jmettee is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy94sc2
Does replacing the bulb make the problem go away? They are dual filament bulbs, using one for the DRL, and another for the Signal..... Probably just that, and if not, you have spares and are only out $4 or so.

It could also be some of the things mentioned, but try replacing the bulb first.
BINGO! This is the problem.....the bulbs on the Ion that are turn signal are dual-filament. They work as parking light (& DRL) as well as turn signal.

So the blinker may not work, but the DRL or tails will.

Replace the bulb & the problem will go away. The problem is a burned turn signal bulb filament.

J

2003 SATURN Ion QC3m
"Giggity Giggity Goo" -Quagmire

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jmettee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jmettee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jmettee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 11:47 AM   #10
wiseguy3501
wiseguy3501 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Did you try changing the blinker fluid???

J/K!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wiseguy3501's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wiseguy3501 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wiseguy3501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 12:09 PM   #11
JC2002SILVERSC2
JC2002SILVERSC2 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2

i would buy a new bulb and put it in. it sounds like a blown bulb.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JC2002SILVERSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JC2002SILVERSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JC2002SILVERSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 04:06 PM   #12
delivery man
Advanced Member
delivery man is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmettee
BINGO! This is the problem.....the bulbs on the Ion that are turn signal are dual-filament. They work as parking light (& DRL) as well as turn signal.

So the blinker may not work, but the DRL or tails will.

Replace the bulb & the problem will go away. The problem is a burned turn signal bulb filament.

J
Unfortunately, that isn't the problem with mine. I have replaced bulbs with no luck. I went to trouble shoot it the other morning and it had started working. Then when I started the car and was pulling out of the driveway, I checked it and it didn't work. It is probably something that I can't fix myself, but I will try this weekend.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to delivery man's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help delivery man reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
delivery man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 03:42 PM   #13
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan

If the DRL Light "recall" was performed on the vehicle you might check that the added connections installed behind the DRL lights are making good contact and check for any loose wires...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lgodave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lgodave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lgodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 04:05 PM   #14
NOLA-Vue
NOLA-Vue is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE
2006 VUE 2.2L

The 03' and 04' MY IONs, if not some later ones have had this issue. About a year or so ago I took mine in for the recall because the original bulb had failed. Nothing was done to my ION, and I accepted that because of a thread on here that mentioned that an inspection of some wires in the trunk area would determine if a ballast/resister or harness wire needed changing out. Apparently, my ION was supposed to have had the mid-year modification so the only changed the bulb out with a so called "upgraded" bulb. Wouldn't you know that bulb only lasted about a month or six weeks!

Rather than take it back to Saturn I just bought some Sylvania LL (Long Life) bulbs at Wal-mart. They last about 6 to 9 months and then burn out. I have also had the experience of "now they work, and now they don't" which seems to be related to the broken filiment making contact again for a little while. My solution is just to carry a few extra bulbs in the car and replace them myself as needed. Don't need the aggravation of dealing with the Saturn store for that.

"The principle difference between a man and a dog is that if you take a dog in and make him prosperous, he won't bite you!" - Mark Twain

2008 Aura XE-4
2006 VUE 2.2L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NOLA-Vue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NOLA-Vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NOLA-Vue is offline   Reply With Quote