SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2015, 08:59 AM   #1
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to all

1995 SL1
Default She's alive! Self sensing wiper action!

I'll write this off as the most strange event ever that I recall in my SL1.

After the eastern "blizzard of 2015" deposited an inch of snow on the car Monday night, I went the next morning to clear it off while getting ready to leave. I started the car and turned the defrost on, then stepped out to clear the snow.

I had the wiper arm pivoted up to clear the windshield, and when I let it down I released it an inch or so above the windshield to knock the snow/ice off the blade.

As soon as it hit the windshield, it wiped one time and stopped.

I checked the wiper arm and it was fully off. I bounced both wipers a few times, jiggled the arm/switch, gave the panel a smack, and even tapped the UHJB a few times. Nothing.

I had cleaned the windows well and put Rain X on them before an out of town overnight stay Sunday night, knowing bad weather might be coming. I guess the car was upset that I was making the wipers unnecessary.

Alordofchaos is worthy and hides in shadows only to hone his S Series knowledge ninja skills. Swift, silent, trustworthy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2015, 09:07 AM   #2
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2
Default Re: She's alive! Self sensing wiper action!

Not sure what you mean about the wiper arm being off, other than being pivoted away from the windshield. As for the "automatic" operation, I'll bet that as you were manipulating the arms, you rotated one of them enough to turn the transmission to the point where it was no longer in the "park" position, and it sensed that it should complete a sweep.

"Blizzard" and "inch" in the same sentence reminds me of the Texas dude who posted a pic several years ago, of his Saturn in a "blizzard" that hit his town. To him, an inch _was_ a "blizzard". Up here, we call that a "dusting".....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:09 AM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

^^^^^That would be a "very light dusting" not requiring any additional action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:34 AM   #4
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to all

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Not sure what you mean about the wiper arm being off, other than being pivoted away from the windshield. As for the "automatic" operation, I'll bet that as you were manipulating the arms, you rotated one of them enough to turn the transmission to the point where it was no longer in the "park" position, and it sensed that it should complete a sweep.

"Blizzard" and "inch" in the same sentence reminds me of the Texas dude who posted a pic several years ago, of his Saturn in a "blizzard" that hit his town. To him, an inch _was_ a "blizzard". Up here, we call that a "dusting".....
Poor wording on my part regarding the arm. It was the switch arm, fully seated in the off position.

I've never had them do that, but maybe that little jolt hit at just the right angle this time. I almost always do that to knock the ice off the blades.

As for the blizzard comment, completely in jest. I've spent a bit of time up north in real weather, including some time in the arctic. That is one of the primary reasons I stay far enough south that the weather forecasters call that inch severe weather. I don't own a snow shovel, but have had to mow the grass both before putting Christmas stuff out, and after removing it from the yard.

Most government delayed a couple hours at a minimum, and some shut down for the day. I never saw any snow actually stick to the roads at all.

Alordofchaos is worthy and hides in shadows only to hone his S Series knowledge ninja skills. Swift, silent, trustworthy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote