SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2008, 09:00 PM   #1
calirider
calirider is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-1 Sedan
Default Inquiry 1997 1.9L DOHC

To start off I would like to say I have never had a 4 cyl or manual before, I just got this car a few days ago.

I think my RPMs are reading wrong on the tachometer. I can be in 5th gear taching 2k and only going about 40MPH, does that sound right?

Also, most of the time when I put her into first it is a little stiff and I have to push it harder than I think is normal because sometimes it is super smooth. Do I need to grease something or is that just the way it is?

One other, if I was to do a quick drain and fill of the tranny how many quarts do I need and where is the best place to get a tranny filter?

Thanks

2004 Ion1 2.2 DOHC, Aisin 5 Speed Auto with 146,500 Miles

2004 Chevy D-Max/Ally with 114,000 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to calirider's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help calirider reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
calirider is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2008, 09:26 PM   #2
97sl2DOHCaut1.9
97sl2DOHCaut1.9 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Inquiry 1997 1.9L DOHC

I recently strted driving a 97sl21.9DOHC, however mine is an automatic. One thing I can say about these cars is that they run/shift a little funny. You may have a prob I dont know, but do all the routine mait + change faulty parts like ECTC + upper mount etc and just drive it (do a search here about ECTS/mount etc). Also these cars are designed for economy so using "better" parts like platinum plugs, expensive filters, synth oils is just flushing cash down a toilet, in fact may make car run worse (plat plugs)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 97sl2DOHCaut1.9's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 97sl2DOHCaut1.9 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
97sl2DOHCaut1.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:00 PM   #3
FredM
FredM is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

If memory serves me, I think you should be in the neighborhood of 2500 rpms somewhere near 65 mph. I haven't driven an SL stick in quite while, so someone do a sanity check for us here.

Check the cable linkages at the shifter, it should go into gear with no issues.

Spend some time with this car, you're going to realize they're quite a bit of fun to drive with the manual trans.

No filter on the manual transmission. Don't remember how much fluid the manual takes, sorry.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FredM's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FredM reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FredM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:02 PM   #4
calirider

2004 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by calirider View Post
To start off I would like to say I have never had a 4 cyl or manual before, I just got this car a few days ago.

I think my RPMs are reading wrong on the tachometer. I can be in 5th gear taching 2k and only going about 40MPH, does that sound right?

Also, most of the time when I put her into first it is a little stiff and I have to push it harder than I think is normal because sometimes it is super smooth. Do I need to grease something or is that just the way it is?

One other, if I was to do a quick drain and fill of the tranny how many quarts do I need and where is the best place to get a tranny filter?

Thanks
EDIT 47MPH at 2000 in 5th

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help calirider reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-16-2008, 10:25 PM   #5
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL

Hmmm, my RPM chart shows 1554 RPM at 45 in 5th, single cam though.
Yeah, 5th gear is long-legged, seems to be made for cruising about 65 or 70 on a level road. (70 mph = 2418 RPM)

"EDIT 47MPH at 2000 in 5th" your DOHC might spin faster than my little SOHC. I show 1623 RPM there.

LowSaturn has published a gear ratio chart somewhere. There are different ratios between SOHC and DOHC and automatics.

As for the shifter, there are several areas of potential slop there, which add up to poor shifting maybe.
The shifter itself with its bushings (one of which is prone to breakage)
The cable bracket coming loose (on the floor pan)
Cables stretched or dragging
Cable brackets loose at the transmission
Cable end bushings worn (at the transmission end)
The levers and gizmos at the shift tower worn or loose.

Suspect one of the above, because you state it goes into gear easily sometimes. OR the clutch is worn, not releasing enough, and it goes into gear easily because the RPMs happen to be correct.
Worn clutch causes hard shifting.

97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeNW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeNW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:50 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

mikeNW,
You missed the one nobody wants to hear, worn synchronizers. The design seems to have a short service life.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 11:05 PM   #7
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by calirider View Post
EDIT 47MPH at 2000 in 5th
Perfectly fine and you'll be getting mid 20 to mid 30 mpg as well.

I wish the SOHC people would stop comparing their engine rev to DOHC at the same speed. They are speaking as if they did not know SOHC's transmission gear ratio is taller than DOHC's transmission.

No filter on the manual transmission. Buy three quart of ATF to use your manual transmission. It takes 2.5 or 2.7 qt, use the drain plug to drain and dip stick tube to fill the transmission. Use the dip stick to make sure you are filling to the correct level.

85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
94 855 394xxx miles
00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 03:49 PM   #8
calirider

2004 ION-1 Sedan

Right on thanks for all the replys, this site has been great so far.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!