SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2019, 09:21 PM   #21
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2006 Saturn Vue L61 Turbo

One spec states 291 hp in a 2.0L 4 cyl with a 6-speed. Is that enough for you?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2019, 11:56 AM   #22
Nwitte
Nwitte is a jewel in the roughNwitte is a jewel in the roughNwitte is a jewel in the rough

2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
One spec states 291 hp in a 2.0L 4 cyl with a 6-speed. Is that enough for you?
Well... so far it has less tire shredding torque than the Saturn Vue. I think the awd has a lot to do with it. It's much quicker once the boost kicks in and it hits 75 mph with no effort. It has launch control but I'm a little reluctant to use it. Launches are the worst thing you can do to a car for the longevity of the drivetrain. I never launched the Vue because of this and I probably could have got a better 0-60 time on that car. I've been looking at different mods for it and there is a lot of options. I'll probably go with a Cobb access port as my first mod. You can download tunes and supposedly gain around 30-50hp and torque with tuning alone. As far as the ride feels, it's a lot stiffer and it feels like a race car. The front end doesn't come up much when you throttle it. The Vue it felt like I was looking at the sky when I goosed it. It's a great car with a lot of potential. I will probably mod it to a safe limit because I bought a redshield warranty when I purchased the car. I probably won't go over 450hp. I've been reading on other forums that's pretty much the threshold where torque gets too high and stuff starts to break.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nwitte's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nwitte reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nwitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 02:05 PM   #23
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Not criticising but you do realize you're almost comparing a car with front wheel drive against a mid-sized suv with 4wd. Forcing 4wd with turbo isn't the same as having only two wheel drive in your Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution. I think comparisons between car and suv are stretching it since the suv has the higher center of gravity issues and suspension to cope with it as opposed to cars with zero cg issues unless both take a glancing curb at speed enough to trip them into a rollover. And the suv will be more than willing to rollover.

I have the pleasure of occasionally driving my nephews Cadillac CTS-V 6-speed. I was already aware of traction control and it was never apparent whenever I tried to floor the pedal when the rear wheels would break traction. This would be in any of the first three gears. With around 550 hp available on wide tires, he tried and could only muster a squeak before traction control refused to allow wheel spin in wide open throttle. A testament to preventing anyone not prepared for the eventual visit to body and fender repair shops when losing traction and the car goes sideways. Launch control in my humble opinion, if I'm not mistaken, is the same as traction control to deliberately prevent losing wheel traction in high power application of throttle that leads to burnouts and car damage to unsuspecting drivers not willing to accept their limits in anticipating lost traction. I can state so because a friend with a late model Corvette has this 'launch control/traction control' and has a Viper.

His friend bought a Vette and discussed disabling tradition control in his Vette. My friend sternly warned him not to but this, ahem, driver decided to go ahead. The car lost traction as the rear wheels spun and went to the repair shop. Guess who's the idiot that didn't listen to the voice of reason? I asked my nephew about how to disable traction control in his CTS-V and he said it's either as simple as pressing the TRACTION CONTROL button or some procedure to disable it to allow full power to the rear wheels. I think he hasn't tried it as I warned him not to do it in the street but either an open parking lot or repurposed airport nearby with a large area of taxi ways to try his car with tc disabled so he can feel raw power as the rears spin out and smoke tires. My guess is he hasn't tried it - summer only Michelin tires are expensive and no spare tire if he suffers a blowout. I believe traction control prevents me and him from spinning the rear wheels and simply allows traction for what's basically launch control.

If you've kept up with Teslas severely beating muscle cars on drag strips, you'd be aware of how electronics has allowed non race drivers to simply floor their Teslas as electronics in traction and/or launch control takes over to put down more electric power in the 0-60 drag race while continuing to the end of a 1/4 mile strip. The difference in beating ice cars is the fact that more torque is output at zero rpm compared to ice cars requiring to rev to whatever rpm band when maximum torque is generated. The problem most conventional drivers in muscle cars don't appreciate is electronics governing how to apply traction to eliminate wheel spin. Teslas already incorporated this traction control feature to remove wheel spin in all out acceleration on dry surfaces and the only reason street drivers with practice watching timing lights can beat many conventional ice cars with few exceptions. Whether its described as traction control or launch control, electronics prevents tires from slipping that are providing traction to move a vehicle.

I'm gonna take a guess that your Mitsu with launch control is basically a way to prevent excessive power resulting in wheel spinning at launch when pedal is floored by several ways already known about abs and traction control. To prevent wheel spin on dry surfaces when flooring the pedal, the abs uses traction control to detect onset of wheel spin, turns to the ecm to retard electronic timing while in extreme cases like all out acceleration, applies abs to prevent the spinning wheel from spinning. The exact opposite of abs while emergency braking. Breaking traction is wheel spin so the abs with traction control or launch control simply applies any combination of slowing the engine to reduce wheel spin, apply braking to the wheel trying to spin and still allow acceleration in controlled conditions for maximum traction as speed increases. Tesla has proven it day and day out on tracks with good drivers against many muscle heads not acknowledging the power of electronics.

Last edited by fdryer; 08-07-2019 at 02:15 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-07-2019, 07:42 PM   #24
Nwitte
Nwitte is a jewel in the roughNwitte is a jewel in the roughNwitte is a jewel in the rough

2006 VUE 2.2L
Happy Re: 2006 Saturn Vue L61 Turbo

@Fdryer, my last post was kind of misleading lol... it's the Evolution that has the AWD I meant in my previous post. 😄 The Saturn Vue was the base model FWD four cylinder with no traction control feature (the reason it pulled so hard). I've figured out to completely disable the traction control on the evolution but theres also that damn torque monitor feature that works within the car's ECM programming (seeming like TC is still on when it's off). The Cobb access port I've just purchased completely disables the torque monitor and also frees up some horses in the process. Disabling these should be dangerous enough and should bring some tire shredding back when I want it! 😎

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nwitte's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nwitte reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nwitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:15 PM   #25
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If disabling traction control to spin wheels is your thing, ignore my last post.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!