SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2006, 01:40 AM   #1
rvjer
rvjer is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L
Question Oil Monitor not for change interval??

Just had my 06 FWD V-6 Vue in for another problem and the service writer told me with 4300 miles I was past due for an oil change. She said not to go by the oil monitor, but it must be changed every 3000 miles.
Anyone ever heard of this ? She claimed the Factory was going to change the owners manual in the near future. Just want to know if I'm still ok waiting for the oil monitor or do I need to change oil ASAP.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rvjer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rvjer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rvjer is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2006, 02:07 AM   #2
Bigdaddy94sc2
Bigdaddy94sc2 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan
2005 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Oil Monitor not for change interval??

Depending on how you drive the vehicle and how severe the conditions are ( all stop and go or alot of highway) you can follow the light if you want to. It will hurt nothing.....

GM, Saturn, and ASE certified Technician. Always glad to try to help, just ask!!! Now own an 06 ION.2 as of 7/2/06 with 2988 and counting (7/28/06) 13131 as of (1/8/07) 24901 as of (7/30/07)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bigdaddy94sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bigdaddy94sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bigdaddy94sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 08:09 AM   #3
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvjer
...She said not to go by the oil monitor, but it must be changed every 3000 miles... She claimed the Factory was going to change the owners manual in the near future...

WRONG WRONG LIE LIE.

The oil monitor has been in use for years not only in the VUE, but in many other GM vehicles. It's calibrated for the specific powertrain. The service writer was just trying to get you to spend more $$$.

It's sad that some people in positions like that continue to spread the 3K oil change myth.

#1 Rule: Follow the owner's manual (change intervals, oil type, etc.).

It won't hurt to change your oil sooner, but it's bad for your wallet and the environment. Whether or not it will actually help to change your oil sooner has been a hotly debated issue on these forums with little consensus. There's those of us who trust the light, and those who insist on shorter intervals out of tradition and "peace of mind."

2008 BMW 328i
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 08:53 AM   #4
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

This is a good way to start a fight. You can go by the oil monitor to keep your warranty intact, or go by the 3,000mile interval which all of the GM mechanics that I know recommend. I go by 3,000miles (10,000kms) on all of our vehicles. My mom has an '05 VUE and just had it's second oil change and it's approaching 10,000kms. I've got synthetic in my '02 SC1 so I've extended the interval some, but I'm still not waiting ofr the light.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 08:56 AM   #5
Bill Murray
Master Member
Bill Murray will become famous soon enough

1997 SC1
1997 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvjer
She claimed the Factory was going to change the owners manual in the near future.
Actually she should have said part of her compensation is based on selling maintenance services.......as the amount of warranty work has declined and the dealer profit margin has been squeezed by the factories and internet knowledgeable consumers, there is a lot of emphasis on service as a dealer profit center.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bill Murray's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bill Murray reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bill Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 08:58 AM   #6
agoldslsaturn
agoldslsaturn is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1
1995 SL2

Dads buick has the oil light, its been done everytime the light is on, never a problem. Seems to me that they want you to spend money.

Think about it, if you light comes on at 6k miles, then you would only pay the $30 for one oil change not the $60 for two so they lost $30...Plus they can try to get you for something else they find wrong...

Until just recently i only changed my filter every 9-10k miles. Why? because I was adding so much oil that I didnt feel the filter needed to be changed (I was right, 99% of the time filter was fine, due to clean oil flushing right through ). Could you imagine what saturn would have said? They lost $90 bucks in a way.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to agoldslsaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help agoldslsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
agoldslsaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 11:15 AM   #7
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

If they are going to be changing the owner's manual, I guess I should expect to see something official from GM mailed to me stating not to go by the OLM anymore. But somehow I doubt what that service writer told you was true. Most of them are idiots and I think you found one. My 1991 Mazda 626 had in the owners manual to change it every 7500 miles. The 3000 mile oil change interval is one of several things: marketing ploy by oil companies and service stations, a left over habit from days of crappy motors and oils, and a hotly contested item of debate for internet forums of every make and model.

Use the light as a guide. It was programmed by much smarter people than the service writer you spoke with.

--Tom

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 11:40 AM   #8
rvjer
rvjer is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

Thanks for the confirmations, I kind of thought she was just trying to get more service from me but in this case I have a free oil change coming from this dealer anyway.

rvjer

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rvjer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rvjer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rvjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 12:29 PM   #9
GearGuy
Advanced Member
GearGuy is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

Dumping the factory fill of oil at 3000 miles may not be a bad idea though...
I can't remember if there was something in the manual regarding an early change (at 3000 miles) of the factory fill of oil...
But it seems like a cheap bit of peace of mind to swap for fresh oil after roughly 3000 miles of "break in".

Yeah, I know. Most of the real break in is done those first few miles before a car gets to the dealership. Some state that the engine is even run at the factory with break in oil before it gets installed into the vehicle. Could be, I don't know myself.

But break in will continue at an ever decreasing rate as the new parts mate together and I don't think the filter will catch the smallest of the particles. You will see numerous comments in the forums that "gas mileage will improve after the engine breaks in..."

So it seems reasonable to me to make the first change around 3000 miles.

After that, I agree that the people that put together the OLM software must have based the program on a good collection of research. And that program is going to become more and more "conservative" as the protective qualities of oil improve with further development.

Except for the dealer oil change at 3,000 miles, I do my own oil changes. My Vue got Havoline 5W-20 and a PureOne filter at 6,000 miles. I might do an oil analysis close to 9,000 miles to verify that break in is still not occuring. Then I'll step up to synthetic oil and extended (beyond 3,000 miles) oil changes and I'll see where this falls with the OLM light.

2006 Vue 3.5L FWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GearGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GearGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GearGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 02:18 PM   #10
remigh
remigh is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearGuy
Dumping the factory fill of oil at 3000 miles may not be a bad idea though...
I can't remember if there was something in the manual regarding an early change (at 3000 miles) of the factory fill of oil...
But it seems like a cheap bit of peace of mind to swap for fresh oil after roughly 3000 miles of "break in".
I agree with GearGuy and have taken that approach- changed the factory oil and filter out at 3000 miles, now I will watch for the Oil Monitor light, next change expected to be at about 10K to 11K miles...roger

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to remigh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help remigh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
remigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 03:50 PM   #11
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerb
WRONG WRONG LIE LIE.

The oil monitor has been in use for years not only in the VUE, but in many other GM vehicles. It's calibrated for the specific powertrain. The service writer was just trying to get you to spend more $$$.

It's sad that some people in positions like that continue to spread the 3K oil change myth.

#1 Rule: Follow the owner's manual (change intervals, oil type, etc.).

It won't hurt to change your oil sooner, but it's bad for your wallet and the environment. Whether or not it will actually help to change your oil sooner has been a hotly debated issue on these forums with little consensus. There's those of us who trust the light, and those who insist on shorter intervals out of tradition and "peace of mind."
Spencer has been drinking the OLM koolaide for a while now. Techs I have talked to have all quietly said to IGNORE IT, and change the oil just as you would any other vehicle. (And that is what they do on their personal vehicles...and what I do on mine)

I wonder if they do change the owner's manual if he will follow it then?

(Grimaces in anticipation of Spencer's ranting responce)

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 03:58 PM   #12
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Argh! wolfman found this topic!

Yes, if they change the manual I will gladly follow it.

Our ranting responses can be found elsewhere in the forums.

I had a recent thought. If someone with ZERO knowledge of oil change patterns, (traditional 3,000 mile changes, etc.) bought a new VUE, would they have any reason not to follow the light? The only reasons to change it differently are because of tradition ("I've always change my oil at X,XXX miles) or personal experience. If anyone has experience with this specific vehicle (the VUE) that tells you otherwise, I would love to hear about it. Real world usage is more important that what engineers find through testing (although they do extensive real-world testing), but I haven't found any evidence to contradict what is recommended in the manual.

2008 BMW 328i
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.

Last edited by spencerb; 04-18-2006 at 04:04 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 05:39 PM   #13
remigh

2006 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-3 Quad Coupe

If the OML was just counting miles, I would ignore it. Since it tracks oil life using a more intelligent method, it seems foolish to totally ignore it. Short of testing the oil, it is probably the best possible indicator of when the oil is done.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help remigh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-18-2006, 05:54 PM   #14
burnout
Master Member
burnout is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom92SCm
My 1991 Mazda 626 had in the owners manual to change it every 7500 miles.
Right there is proof that there is zero reason to change it at 3000 miles. How can this even be contested?

NINETEEN NINETY ONE and they are recommending 7500mi intervals! 1991!!!

'13 VW CC 2.0T
'99 Volvo S70 AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to burnout's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help burnout reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
burnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 06:10 PM   #15
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Just changed (about 1/2 hour ago) the oil on the 2005. (2.2L) 4514 miles. If anybody wants to send me the $$$ for a UOA, I'll be glad to save it for them. Somehow I think the recommendation will either be to stick with the interval, or shorten it.....

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 06:21 PM   #16
Kevin94SL
Kevin94SL is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan

I love when this gets brought up... This is such a loaded question. Different people will tell you different things. For all intents and purposes, just follow the bull they feed you in the owners manual. This will protect any warranty. For myself, it will remain every 3000 miles, or, two changes for everytime the light comes on.

Kevin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kevin94SL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kevin94SL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kevin94SL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 07:43 PM   #17
burnout
Master Member
burnout is on a distinguished road

Too bad that "bull" in the owners manual has been proven to provide perfectly adequate protection for your engine. Got an instance where it caused a sludgemonster, or somebody had their engine seize because of it? (Or any ill effects came from following the owners manual?) I didn't think so.

Everybody says that the owners manual is to get you through the warranty period, but NEVER has any proof to back it up that it isn't good for their car.

'13 VW CC 2.0T
'99 Volvo S70 AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to burnout's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help burnout reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
burnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 09:39 PM   #18
burlyvue2
burlyvue2 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

The term "severe vehicle service" comes to mind. There was a time when maintenance schedules included how hard the vehicle was used. Taxi's, delivery vehicles, police cars and my Vue...LOL.

3k miles is what the Saturn tech's write on my oil change sticker. I use it and after 95k miles my Satty still rox.

Not sure about the comment on environmental concerns regarding 3k oil changes but Saturn does recycle the oil and whatever California demands.

They wash the Vue and badda bing badda boom.... out da door for another 3k of cruizin' in the Vue. The oil light thingy has only come on once and that was because some hungover Saturn tech forgot to reset it. (Kidding !)

My wife's LW300 V6 never gets 3k before the date of the next oil change. Still change the oil though but a couple of times let it ride for an extra month.

Basic thing for Vue maintenance is to make sure the oil/filter gets changed as often and as hard as you drive yours.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to burlyvue2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help burlyvue2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
burlyvue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 10:31 PM   #19
remigh

2006 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman
Just changed (about 1/2 hour ago) the oil on the 2005. (2.2L) 4514 miles. .
Wolfman- I haven't checked your previous posts, are you a Dino or Synth user?

my approach over the past 20 years or so is 3K on Dino, 5K on Synth blends, and 7K on full Synth oils. my cars always get a mix of driving, some city and some longer trips, plus no real heavy towing, never had an engine problem- 5 saturns, 2 chevys, 1 pontiac, and a mazda.

So the OML in our Vue and Ion fit my pattern perfect, 7K to 8K on full Synth is fine by me, especially in the Ion with its 6Qt crankcase (does the 2.2L Vue also take 6Qts?).

For the Vue, we get the monthly e-mail from On-Star with the current oil life status (% left), so it will be possible to track and graph oil life versus miles as we get close to the next oil change, the OML coming on will not be a mystery for this vehicle....

cheers...roger

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-18-2006, 10:48 PM   #20
IMkenNY
IMkenNY is on a distinguished road

My experience with Saturn service writers on oil change intervals has been:

If I am paying for the oil change.......3,000 miles or less!

If saturn is paying for it (Redline Ion maintenance package).................wait until the oil change light comes on!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to IMkenNY's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help IMkenNY reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
IMkenNY is offline   Reply With Quote