SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2008, 07:30 PM   #1
C130Flyboy
C130Flyboy is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
Default '98 SL2, Hard to turn key in ignition - will not start

Another problem with my 98 SL2 with 123,000 mi. I went to start the car and the key had a hard time at first turning the ignition. Once it did, all check lights came on and then nothing. No start. Battery is good, Car is in Park. I thought this may be related to the security system, this checked out ok too. I removed the key a few times and turned the steering wheel to unlock it and then the key slid in like it should and the car started. Is this the Key? or could this be the ignition switch?

Last edited by C130Flyboy; 03-09-2008 at 07:31 PM.. Reason: Year was incorrect.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to C130Flyboy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help C130Flyboy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
C130Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2008, 08:44 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: '98 SL2, Hard to turn key in ignition - will not start

Check the threads for '98's having the first lame anti-theft system by way of a starter relay interrupt wired haphazardly and taped into the wire bundle along the steering column. There's a picture of it floating around to identify the common '87' relay. It may be faulty and preventing the starter from powering up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:35 PM   #3
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Actually it was '97. And it doesn't sound like it's the problem, if the key turned and the engine started normally after turning the wheel. A fresh key (DON'T get a copy of your original; have a NEW one cut based on the VIN) might help, but it might just be a case of "Doctor, it hurts when I do this....well, then, don't do that." IOW, when you remove the key, don't turn the wheel to lock the column, or if you do, turn the wheel again to "unload" the column lock from the ignition cylinder when you go to start it again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 10:39 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I hate it when I have to be reminded I'm wrong, again!? Thanks M.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote