SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2007, 08:16 PM   #1
redsaturn13
redsaturn13 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Car wash?

I know im gonna regret posting this thread, but it got me thinking so whatever. I don't know if this is true or not, but i heard somewhere that with saturns, you can't take them through an automatic carwash b/c of something to do with the fact that our cars are made of plastic. We have to manually wash them ourselves.(which is what i do anyway) So far I have steered clear of the carwashes just in case, but just out of curiosity, has anyone else ever heard this before?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to redsaturn13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help redsaturn13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
redsaturn13 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2007, 08:19 PM   #2
yukisho
yukisho is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Car wash?

Took mine through a few auto car washes. Nothing happened.

[url=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2621639]Check Out My Ride[/url]
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2621639

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to yukisho's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help yukisho reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
yukisho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:59 PM   #3
Pete93SL1M
Pete93SL1M is on a distinguished road

No problem with most carwashes. However, the ones with brushes are abrasive to paint of all kinds and should be avoided. For best care, wash it by hand but don't be afraid to run it through a carwash once in a while.

The only danger I have seen are some that use strips of fabric- at "just the right" angle, speed, direction these can grab your non-moveable side mirror and tear it right off the car. I've seen it happen several times!

..aka GMinTheDriveway
Former Saturn Sales Consultant
Give me choices in powertrain, great handling and decent MPG and I will buy a Saturn again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pete93SL1M's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pete93SL1M reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pete93SL1M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:17 PM   #4
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsaturn13 View Post
I know im gonna regret posting this thread, but it got me thinking so whatever. I don't know if this is true or not, but i heard somewhere that with saturns, you can't take them through an automatic carwash b/c of something to do with the fact that our cars are made of plastic. We have to manually wash them ourselves.(which is what i do anyway) So far I have steered clear of the carwashes just in case, but just out of curiosity, has anyone else ever heard this before?

I did neber heard dat1 Bubba.........................

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnSdn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSdn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnSdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 12:12 AM   #5
yukisho
yukisho is on a distinguished road

If you do it, take your antenna off. I had mine get bent over on me on two seperate car washes. Those are rather expensive to replace. Seeing the thickness of paint that is on the car, if you have a small chip in the paint they can take a larger chunk out. Just do it by hand. It's the best way. That way you get everything nice and clean.

[url=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2621639]Check Out My Ride[/url]
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2621639

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to yukisho's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help yukisho reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
yukisho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 07:03 PM   #6
papado1
papado1 is on a distinguished road

Whenever you take ypur car to Saturn and have your car washed they use automatic washers. Haven't had any problems as of yet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to papado1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help papado1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
papado1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 07:17 PM   #7
ottmwz_finest
Advanced Member
ottmwz_finest is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan

You could say this about any car. Not every car is the same shape (no brainer) and the auto washes are designed for no particular model. There are going to be height and shape factors that may make you have to take things into consideration. For example, every damn auto wash around me here doesn't wash the back part of the trunk or the rear bumper at all. Everyone elses car looks great all around... The front and sides look great on mine! My guess is that these washes are desiged for shorter cars...I try to stay away form auto wash unless it's frigidly cold in the winter. Glad to hear that you take some pride in the ION and use a little elbow grease to clean it up like I do ...

hundred miles an hour switching lanes like WHOA

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ottmwz_finest's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ottmwz_finest reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ottmwz_finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:19 AM   #8
kilcher
Advanced Member
kilcher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by papado1 View Post
Whenever you take ypur car to Saturn and have your car washed they use automatic washers. Haven't had any problems as of yet.
Not all of them do.

SixFlagsForum.com
VeggieBoards.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kilcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kilcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kilcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 07:55 AM   #9
06ion3
06ion3 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

My saturn dealer washed my car by hand every time I bring it in, well if I would let them(and I have a few times in the winter), but my car never needs a wash, I don't let it get dirty....

My Saturn Goal, to make my ION look diffent to saturn people, but to make it look off the lot to your average person.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 06ion3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 06ion3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
06ion3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 05:02 PM   #10
cdavidhess
cdavidhess is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan

I have taken my Saturns through car washes with brushes for years. I've never had a problem. Actually, I don't think I ever washed my 2003 or 2006 Ion any other way.

2008 Toyota Yaris sedan, manual
2006 ION3 manual, 2.4L
2003 ION2, 2000 LS1, 1996 SL2, 1994 SL2,
1993 SL2, 1991 SL2 (all manuals)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdavidhess's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdavidhess reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdavidhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 10:44 AM   #11
Alant2b
Alant2b is on a distinguished road

My rear bumper looks like a war zone, I assume the brushes have removed the paint but rest of car never have a problem.

Funny when I used to get free car wash from saturn and they used big floor broom to wash the car I used to get lots of scratches. The car wash doesn't hurt the car except for teh rear bumper.

However, rear bumper was replaced - maybe from body shop not primed plastic carefully before painting or paint not apply paint correctly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Alant2b's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Alant2b reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Alant2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 08:02 PM   #12
Schultzy
Schultzy has a spectacular aura aboutSchultzy has a spectacular aura about

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by papado1 View Post
I wish they all did. It looks like they washed my Vue with a roof shingle

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Schultzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Schultzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Schultzy is offline   Reply With Quote