SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2001, 08:05 PM   #1
zorro477
zorro477 is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Need help w/ ignition lock cylinder-93 SC2

I own a 1993 SC2. I recently had problems with an electrical short and decided to fix it myself.

In order to trace the electrical short, I disassembled my steering column. During which I removed the ignition lock cylinder. Every thing was going well so far. However to trace the elctrical short I needed to start the car since the problem only happened while the car was running. I got it started by turning the mechanism that connects the ignition lock cylinder to the ignition switch (is there a name for that assembly ?).

However, when I attempted to shut the car off by turning the same piece backwards, it wouldn't turn far enough to shut the car off. I then had to remove the ignition switch, and turn the switch it self to shut the car off.

Now I can't turn that mechanism back to the "ACC" position; and it has to be there in order align the ignition lock cylinder for reinsertion.

What's the trick to turn it backwards?

Please help me if you can.
Thanx.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to zorro477's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help zorro477 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2001, 10:58 PM   #2
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Should turn. Hows the position of the steering wheel?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-18-2004, 06:49 PM   #3
Hiddenlites
Advanced Member
Hiddenlites is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2
Dizzy How this for digging up an old thread?

I am having the same problem mentioned above. But in this case I was installing OEM cruise control. I removed the lock cylinder so that I could remove the lower half of the steering column cover. After I found my wiring, I wanted to check to make sure I had power everywhere I was supposed to.

To cut to the chase. I needed to have the ignition switch in the run position. Instead of digging my keys out of my pocket and reinstalling the lock cylinder, I turned turned the tab inside the lock cylinder housing to RUN. I was successful in getting the switch to RUN, but now I can't return the switch to ACC (or LOCK, obviously), but it will turn to START. During my course of trying to correct the problem I removed the ignition switch from the steering column and tried turning the tab from both ends. I have also tried turning the steering wheel while trying to return the tab to the ACC position. It seems there is some sort of locking mechansim preventing me from turning the tab back to ACC. If anyone can help me out, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm all out of ideas.

1993 Saturn SC2 75k
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2008 Saturn VUE Redline 175k sold 7/8/16
2013 Honda Accord Coupe
2016 GMC Acadia

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Hiddenlites's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Hiddenlites reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-18-2004, 07:30 PM   #4
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

UM..PUSH IN and turn with what ever tool you are using...just like you have to push in on the key...

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-18-2004, 07:44 PM   #5
Lucas1
Advanced Member
Lucas1 is on a distinguished road

yeah, if you push in and turn is should work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Lucas1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Lucas1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-18-2004, 10:31 PM   #6
Hiddenlites
Advanced Member

1993 SC2

Yes, I have tried that using a pair of duck-billed pliers. I feel like if I turn it any harder, I am going to twist the tab. Is it possible that I damaged the steering wheel locking mechanism when I broke the steering wheel nut loose, and this why I can go back to ACC? When I did this, I used my 1/2 driver and there was no cussing involved.

1993 Saturn SC2 75k
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 Honda Accord Coupe
2016 GMC Acadia

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Hiddenlites reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-18-2004, 10:55 PM   #7
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Few stupid questions... Car in PARK? (Automatic) Key release tab depressed? (manual)

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-18-2004, 11:14 PM   #8
Hiddenlites
Advanced Member

1993 SC2

Manual tranny on a '93 SC2. I was unaware of a key release tab. I've never had to do anything to pull the key out other than to push it in as I turn the car off. I'll go check around some more.

1993 Saturn SC2 75k
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 Honda Accord Coupe
2016 GMC Acadia

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-18-2004, 11:28 PM   #9
wolfman

INSIDE the cylinder that the lock fits in toward the bottom you will see a small groove, inside that groove is a tab that is depressed by the installed lock that will allow it to rotate if depressed by said instaled lock. Study the removed lock and you will see what I mean.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-19-2004, 12:46 AM   #10
Hiddenlites
Advanced Member

1993 SC2

I checked things out. I'm still haven't gotten anywhere, though. I can tell you what I see, as we may not be looking at the same thing.

At the bottom of the cylinder that the lock fits into there is a small cube shaped metal tab. It slips down into a hole and rests in the down position from gravity (it's not spring loaded) I can reach the bottom of the tab and push it up through a square hole that is on the IP side of the column lock assembly. I don't see a way that this tab can be moved mechanically, so I am guessing that this might be part of the park interlock system on an automatic model.

When I rotate the ignition switch shaft to run, I can see a semi-circular rod at the bottom of the lock cylinder housing toward the steering wheel side (approximately 8 'o clock position). This rod is spring loaded and can be pushed in towards the iginition switch side of the lock cylinder. I tried pressing this rod in with a paper clip while trying to rotate the shaft back to ACC (while pushing in on the lock cylinder side and pulling on the ignition switch side). No luck.

I'm considering disassembling the damn steering wheel lock assembly as my next resort. I read in another thread that the bolt heads holding it together need to be chisseled off. Anyone know if Saturn sells these bolts seperately from the steering wheel lock assembly?

1993 Saturn SC2 75k
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 Honda Accord Coupe
2016 GMC Acadia

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-19-2004, 02:35 AM   #11
wolfman

Don't slap me (or yourself) but Saturn "S" series ignition locks have four positions turning from LOCK toward the dash (clockwise when looking at the lock) LOCK-ACC-RUN-START. If you are turning the tab toward the dash and getting to RUN, it is ALREADY IN ACC BEFORE you start to turn it. There is NO switch postion on the "otherside" of LOCK. In ACC the RADIO will play but the dash lights (idiot lights) will be OFF. In LOCK, NOTHING save the dome and head/parking lights and OEM clock will work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-19-2004, 07:00 PM   #12
Hiddenlites
Advanced Member

1993 SC2

Yes, I am aware of the four positions on the lock. In my previous post I stated that the spring loaded pin is visible while the shaft is in the RUN position. I should have said while it is in the START position. It was getting late and there wasn't too much to rejoice about yesterday. If I rotate the shaft as far as it will go counter clockwise, with respect to the ignition lock side and connect my battery, the idiot lights are on. The flat side of the shaft will go back as far as eleven o' clock. By looking at my ignition lock, I gathered that I need to get the flat side of the shaft to go back to nine o' clock.

Wolf, I really appreciate your help thus far, and keep the suggestions coming. We're getting close to solving this puzzle.

1993 Saturn SC2 75k
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 Honda Accord Coupe
2016 GMC Acadia

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-19-2004, 08:03 PM   #13
wolfman

Guess I need some clarifying information. Can you turn the ignition switch with your tool counterclockwise far enough that the dash lights go OUT? The turn from fron RUN to ACC amounts to a VERY slight turn, less than 1/4 of an inch or so. ..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-19-2004, 09:39 PM   #14
Hiddenlites
Advanced Member

1993 SC2

No, I can't get the dummy lights to turn off. I just confirmed this by reinstalling the ignition switch and connecting the battery. Now, I am absolutely sure that the only two positions that aren't locked out are RUN and START.

1993 Saturn SC2 75k
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 Honda Accord Coupe
2016 GMC Acadia

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-20-2004, 01:06 AM   #15
wolfman

OK that helps. There is a travel "moderator" (for lack of a better term) built into the ignition switch (not the lock) it is what requires you to push IN on the key to turn it back to ACC or LOCK from run. It takes a deliberate effort to do so so as to prevent the driver from "accidentally" turning the running car off by bumping or turning the key unintentionally. You will need to manipulate the igntion switch to accomplish what you need to do. Assuming the igntion switch was functioning "normally" before you took out the lock, it IS doable without hacking it apart, it unfortunately will become a somewhat frustrating series of trial and error. If I had the disassembled lock in front of me, I could probably do it or offer better instructions but here goes. To get the key to turn from RUN to ACC with the lock installed the key must be pushed IN approx. 1/8-1/4 of an inch or so. What I cannot remember is if it is actually the switch below the lock that moderates the turn or if it is built into the lock cylinder. It is one of those things that needs to be depressed while you turn the switch back. I know that is of limited help (sorry) but maybe it will help if you think of it this way: If the installed lock can make it happen, there is a way to do it.... an objective study of the lock cylinder and sleave/switch and some trial and error will eventually find it. Sorry I can't be of more help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-22-2004, 12:49 AM   #16
Hiddenlites
Advanced Member

1993 SC2

The mystery has been solved!

Coming soon to the How-To Forum:
How to get the ignition switch tang back to ACC after you moved it to RUN with the ignition lock cylinder removed!

1993 Saturn SC2 75k
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 Honda Accord Coupe
2016 GMC Acadia

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-23-2004, 01:51 AM   #17
Hiddenlites
Advanced Member

1993 SC2

The repair procedure is given in the The steering wheel lock does not return to ACC! thread.

Wolf, thanks for help and your willingness to understand the problem. The tech I spoke with my local Saturn dealer had done the same thing as me in his early days, and fumbled with the mechanism for an hour before he got the tang freed. I decided that I had spent enough time playing with the lock mechanism, so I took things apart. This whole situation kind of reminds me of a booby trap you see in a Indiana Jones movie.

Anyway, Wolf, by now I must owe you a case of beer!

1993 Saturn SC2 75k
2004 Chevy Silverado Z71
2013 Honda Accord Coupe
2016 GMC Acadia

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-11-2005, 07:45 PM   #18
Frodo
Frodo is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Need help w/ ignition lock cylinder-93 SC2

I had the same thing happen to me, I set the booby trap off by starting the car with the ignition switch cylinder out. The ignition switch was locked in the run position, it would turn to start, but not back to ACC which is where you need it. I just fixed it. This is what I did... Negative Batt is disconnected. I first took the starting switch off on the left side off the column (2 small bolts). This allowed the ignition switch to remain on start without springing back. I used an awl to fiddle with the mechanism inside the switch. You will feel and see it unlocking, with another awl in the circular hole I pushed in on the switch and turned counter clockwise, It snapped back to the Acc position. From there just slide you new lock in.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Frodo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Frodo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread