SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2002, 01:29 PM   #1
vebix
vebix is on a distinguished road

Default Car Wash

How does the paint job on a Saturn hold up in a standard brush car-wash? I have a black VUE, and I would like to keep it as microscratch-free for as long as possible. Should I make an effort to find a brushless car wash?

And if so - anybody know of a good one in the South Hills of Pittsburgh? (preferably one I can sit in the car during the wash, cuz I'm still a kid at heart)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vebix's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vebix reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2002, 01:37 PM   #2
pkschul
Advanced Member
pkschul is on a distinguished road

black will show scratches before any other color... I would avoid a brush wash if I were you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pkschul's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pkschul reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-06-2002, 01:51 PM   #3
WKDave3
WKDave3 is on a distinguished road

when i got my satty repainted this summer (factory color, but not by a dealer) the guy strongly advised me against automatic car washes and even the high-pressure DIY washes...said it's really not good for the paint on any car

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WKDave3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WKDave3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-06-2002, 02:44 PM   #4
Harry
Advanced Member
Harry is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
Arrow

Hand washing/drying causes scratches too so you really can't win. The only way not to scratch your paint is not to wash it at all. FWIW, I hand wash my cars sometimes and go through touchless most of the rest of the time, rarely a soft-cloth wash.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Harry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Harry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-06-2002, 03:02 PM   #5
skijay
skijay is on a distinguished road

I am worried about my Medium green VUE and scratches. The first car wash was using the rinse only from the auto wash. I did not want to go through the autowash. Sometime soon I will need to handwash my VUE!!!

WKDave3....I like your signature.

http://www.geocities.com/mtorford2000

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to skijay's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help skijay reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-06-2002, 03:46 PM   #6
erick295
erick295 is on a distinguished road

I've never done anything but hand wash. Washing by hand won't scratch the paint if you're careful, but those brushes sure will.

Automatic washes... *twitch*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to erick295's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help erick295 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-06-2002, 03:48 PM   #7
Bertillion

The best one I found was the one pass Century III Mall across from Boston Market on Route 51. I guess a white car shows scratches just as well as a black one. It has done the best job for me in the area, but it may be a longer drive then what you are looking for. They are called Body Beautiful Car Wash and it is 100% soft cloth. Maybe there is something similar in your area.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bertillion's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bertillion reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 12-06-2002, 04:02 PM   #8
PaganBassist
PaganBassist is on a distinguished road

I hand wash when I can. I sent away for that silicon blade car dryer, and I have to say it works great! Won't scratch the paint, and drys so fast it's not funny.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PaganBassist's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PaganBassist reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-06-2002, 07:35 PM   #9
vebix
vebix is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Bertillion
The best one I found was the one pass Century III Mall across from Boston Market on Route 51. I guess a white car shows scratches just as well as a black one. It has done the best job for me in the area, but it may be a longer drive then what you are looking for. They are called Body Beautiful Car Wash and it is 100% soft cloth. Maybe there is something similar in your area.
Thanks for the info - That may not be to bad a drive for me. I actually bought my VUE at Saturn of Pleasant Hills, which is right up the street from there. I'll add it to my list of places to check. Here's another one I found:

http://www.mrmagiccarwash.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vebix's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vebix reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-06-2002, 08:00 PM   #10
Rob1956
Rob1956 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

I have always hand washed in the warm weather and gone thru a touchless car wash when the cold months arrive. I had my gold sl2 for 5 years and the paint was good as new. I'm doing the same for my 03 VUE.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rob1956's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rob1956 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-06-2002, 09:07 PM   #11
RustyJCNC
Advanced Member
RustyJCNC is on a distinguished road

I usually use the Power self wash, and the little brush that they have there for the tough spots. I try to avoid the nasty cloths etc.

I have been using the squeege dryer I got at Wal-Mart. It seems to work very well, but I am always paranoid about the thing picking up dirt and scratching the paint.

I think I have the closest color to black...the Dark Green L300.

-j

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RustyJCNC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RustyJCNC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-07-2002, 10:48 PM   #12
gaf3
gaf3 is on a distinguished road

I've always heard that the best way is to rinse first with a light spray, then wash by hand, using a sponge that you rinse out very, very often, and to dry with a real chamois, also rinsed often.

During the winter, I'll go to a do-it-yourself. It's very hard finding true touchless washes. Either they are really brushless (using cloth instead), or they wind up having employees doing a final dry with towels. I used to go to a gas station that had a funky automatic (the car stays still, while the mechanism makes several passes back and forth over the car), but they took that down for a more conventional cloth automatic.

With my ten year old SL1, I tend to stick to the dealer washes only, but I expect that to change when the new VUE arrives.

Gary

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gaf3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gaf3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-08-2002, 11:35 AM   #13
JanCan
JanCan is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Those soft cloth washers - they can snag big rust chunks of an old car, then spend the rest of the day dragging it across every car. I don't use em.

WKDave3 said, "the guy strongly advised me against...the high-pressure DIY washes...said it's really not good for the paint on any car". The high pressure wand is only bad for paint if used too close to the surface - it can actually strip paint - so you have to be very careful using them.

I live in a high salt-use area, so it MUST be washed off, so you've got to wash your car in the winter, you can't do a wash in your driveway when it's freezing, you can't use auto-brush or auto soft-cloth, so IMO the high pressure wand is the best solution. And you can get in underneath and in the wheel wells where it counts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JanCan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JanCan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-08-2002, 12:45 PM   #14
Bertillion

Quote:
Originally posted by mportune
Thanks for the info - That may not be to bad a drive for me. I actually bought my VUE at Saturn of Pleasant Hills, which is right up the street from there. I'll add it to my list of places to check. Here's another one I found:

http://www.mrmagiccarwash.com
If you buy a 2003 entertainment book it gives you savings on both of these car wash places. You can save $8.00 off of their best car wash. With twelve coupons per car wash you can potentially save $192.00 dollars! The entertainment book only costs $20.00 dollars and you can use it all over the Pittsburgh area. Every major city has these. Most restaurants and movie theatres have some type of coupon in there for you to use. Unless you don't like using coupons that is.

http://www.entertainment.com

It's $30.00 if you buy it off the website.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bertillion's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bertillion reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 12-08-2002, 11:21 PM   #15
RustyJCNC
Advanced Member
RustyJCNC is on a distinguished road

For the last two years I bought one of those books. Not from that particular site, but similar. I always end up having used about $10.00 worth and forgetting about it before it expires and runs out requiring me to buy another book.

I guess I if I had a life, I'd use it. I'm not getting one for 03.

-j

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RustyJCNC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RustyJCNC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-08-2002, 11:32 PM   #16
ProDarwin
Master Member
ProDarwin is on a distinguished road

My car has been through a good many car washes, been hand washed plenty of times, been down a gravel road 5 times a day, and even been off roading. I must say that this car is very scratch resistant. After 10 years of complete neglect for the paint, it still looks good, except for a small spot on the back bumper.

So, if you take better care of your car than I do, you probably don't have much to worry about.

-Travis

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ProDarwin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ProDarwin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-08-2002, 11:56 PM   #17
ProDarwin
Master Member
ProDarwin is on a distinguished road

Here is how it looks after 10 years of neglect:

-Travis

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ProDarwin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ProDarwin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-09-2002, 11:52 AM   #18
DubLifeH2o
DubLifeH2o is on a distinguished road

if your worried about the micro scratches and paint swirls in your car my advice would be to not drive it or wash it Its gonna happen no matter waht you do, Black shows every little blemish you could think of, White on the other hand hides dents and scratches very well! you can use a cleaner wax after washing or a poliching compound to help with the swirls but even then, its not gonna eliminate them!
stay away from drive through car washes, the brushes drag dirt and debris all over your car and the touchless ones just rise you down and when you dry it just rubs the dirt that wasnt completely rinsed away(if using a chamois) And if you dont dry it witha chamois it just air drys and you can see all the dirt and dust that it didnt wash away! hand washing is the best and you can never avoid the swirlys

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DubLifeH2o's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DubLifeH2o reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-09-2002, 01:29 PM   #19
saturnPr!de
saturnPr!de is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

at saturn we wash all cars with a soft bristled broom, seal it and dry it off with a squi-gee and then dry it off with a shamy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnPr!de's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnPr!de reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-09-2002, 02:07 PM   #20
gaf3
gaf3 is on a distinguished road

Default OT: Entertainment book

Quote:
Originally posted by Bertillion
If you buy a 2003 entertainment book
I got a Boston area one from Waldenbooks for $25 (though the prices do vary depending on city). Better yet, if you can find a charity that sells them, you may prefer that.

However, I returned it because theater coupons that were good at the box office are gone, replaced by coupons that need to be mailed in to exchange for theater tickets. That ruined the value for me.

Gary

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gaf3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gaf3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread