SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2016, 01:07 AM   #1
Bob McIntyre
Bob McIntyre is on a distinguished road

Default 2002, L200 Security Light & Service Engine Light

Hello and please help,

I have a 2002, L200 with almost 163,000 miles on it. I bought it with 56,000 miles on it. I take very good care of my cars. My previous car was a 1993 Ford Probe GT bought new that I put 256,000 miles on it and then gave it to my nephew.

Now to the L200 problem. At 58,000 miles in 2008 I had a remote starter installed at Pep Boys with the required Passlock bypass module and everything has been good. This past spring/summer as the sun would set and the car would be parked outside the Passlock System would set off the factory alarm sounding the horn and flashing the lights. If I reset it, it would usually just do it again until the car would cool down. Leaving it unlocked was the only solution. I diagnosed it to be the BCM. I purchased a new BCM on eBay for less than a rebuilt one. I had it installed at a dealer so that all should have been programmed properly. This DID fix my problem.

Now I just started with a different problem. Prior to using the remote starter this winter, I have had a couple of instances where the car would not start. After waiting a while it will start. Now I am getting the Security Light followed by the Service Engine Soon Light coming on after I start the car and drive it for anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes. Most times if I turn the car off and back on the lights go out and don't come back on.

Could this be a wiring issue, a programming issue, an ignition cylinder lock issue, or could the remote starter be failing in some way?

All of it appears to function correctly even the remote starter.

One other strange thing. My Fasten Seat Belts Light and chime stopped working a long time ago. It was intermittent but now it does not function at all. I can't remember if the light is LED or incandescent but I pulled the instrument panel a good while back and checked all of the lamps. And like I said the chime doesn't work either.

It has a new fuel pump, fuel filler neck, and fuel cap. All replaced for other reasons. I replaced the front sub frame because of rust. Fuel tank straps and shield were replaced due to rust. Power steering pump has been replaced too. I even replaced all of the woofer speakers in the doors because the factory paper cones deteriorated. Regular oil changes and all other regular maintenance.

Any help would be appreciated.

Questions are welcomed.

Bob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bob McIntyre's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bob McIntyre reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bob McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2016, 04:19 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2002, L200 Security Light & Service Engine Light

The DRL/high beam/odometer/turn signals/backlights are bulbs, the rest are LEDs. The annunciator comes from the bcm. I have an aftermarket remote start too and sometimes it fails. Mine has a valet switch I can use; it defeats remote starting when it's turned on. Prior to winter use when I remote start, I'll cycle r/s randomly. When it fails I enter the car and depress brake pedal - this disables r/s immediately otherwise a conflict between Passlock and r/s triggers security and locks out starting for ten minutes (security flashing). Sitting in a freezing car waiting ten minutes with IGN on to pass before being allowed to startup is no fun so stepping on the brake pedal disables remote starting to allow immediate manual starting. If r/s works, I'll try it a few times to be sure it's operational.

My guess is there's a conflict between your r/s and security as you can startup, drive with security and ses lights on, shutdown and restart with those lights staying off. If you don't have a valet switch, you might be able to reset communications between security and r/s by removing the inline (?) fuse for r/s when IGN is off, wait a few seconds then replace the fuse. This may or may not correct an intermittent problem. You may be able to leave this fuse disconnected and use the car normally. In theory, r/s systems should be wired so it's not intrusive to factory wiring to interfere with Passlock security and allow normal car use if r/s failure occurs and/or main power to it is removed (fuse).

GM's Passlock security is fine as a theft deterrent system with only one weakness that seems to elude most thieves. Passlock, in conjunction with aftermarket remote start systems, always takes precedence and demonstrates it by detecting anything out of sequence from specific procedures related to security. Remote start using a bypass module allows bypassing Passlock temporarily until the ignition key is inserted and turned on. Passlock is never disabled when r/s is used - most r/s systems have a timer to run engines for a programmed amount of time then shuts down engine running and returns to standby mode while Passlock remains enabled at all times remote start is used if the driver forgets or is distracted. Mine is preprogrammed for ten minutes, plenty of time to precool or warm up the interior and defrost windows for ice removal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 05:56 PM   #3
Bob McIntyre
Bob McIntyre is on a distinguished road

I found this, see way below, from another web site. These people had the same exact problem on a L100. And as far as I can tell no remote starter. After I did a lot of reading I tried to do the security to BCM relearn procedure. However when I turn the key to run on my car the only lights that remain on are the SES light and the Battery Symbol light. Everything else comes on and goes out. This was after the night before when I had a no start and I waited a bit and then it started. I tried a few other things but I really can't remember what I did. And if the bypass module for the remote start does not have the code from the Passlock system, the remote start will start the car for a split second and then the car shuts off. But this is not the case. The remote start works properly. I know how to reprogram the bypass module because I had to do it when the battery went dead and needed to be replaced. And here is an interesting note. When the Chevy dealer replaced and programmed the new BCM for me they never disconnected the battery when this was done. And today I noticed that I think that my headlight switch is going bad, again. I had this problem almost 3 years ago. When it is dark out and the handbrake is released the headlights come on. If you reapply the handbrake the headlights should go back off. Eventually the hi beams will come on and stay on even when the car is not running. If I am remembering correctly the switch fixed both problems. I had tried the different relays but that was not the problem because manual switching works okay. I am also going to switch out the key that I usually use. The one that I usually use feels a bit rounded.

Electrical problem
2002 Saturn L100 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 204000 miles

The car is getting spark, fuel, everything. But while you are driving it, the security light comes on with the service light as well. We have had this car since June 2010 and it's September 2010 now. There has been 3 times that it has not started, and the Security light was blinking the whole time you were trying to start it, all 3 times. I didn't know what to do today. I went on here looking for answers, and didn't find any.

I went back outside and when I turned the key, the security light did NOT come on and it started just fine. This car reminds us EVERYDAY (a few minutes after your driving) that the security system needs serviced. Is there ANY WAY TO DISABLE THE SECURITY? I hate it, it keeps the car from starting at the worst times possible.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bob McIntyre's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bob McIntyre reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bob McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 08:40 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Ignition keys have no effect on security - it's a key to fit the lock cylinder, period. Search within these forums for more info.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote