SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2015, 06:53 AM   #1
Jesse Pinkman
Jesse Pinkman is on a distinguished road

2001 SL2
Default 01 Sl2 service (wrench) light and security light just came on. what's wrong now lol?

So thus morning I stopped to get some fuel for my 01 Sl2 ans right as I pulled in a service light came on (wrench, not service engine soon) along with a security light.

After doing a little research I've come to find the codes for this light can only be looked up at a dealership and after calling Chevrolet and being quoted 109.99 for just a scan read. That is not going to be an option for my broke just turned 24 self (literally it's actually my birthday today lol)

What is more than likely the cause of these codes?

I did some looking into this and a lot of people said it's usually a bulb out. I checked my high beams, low beams, turn signals and so forth but nothing.

My big question is should I worry about this? Like literally I'm Broke for the next week or two until I get paid and am just curious if this is going to leave me stranded on the side of the road somewhere.

Any advice from the awesome knowledgeable people on this forum would be great.

Seriously, you guys are awesome. Helped me fix my saturns, save me money and lean stuff on more occasions than I can count lol.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jesse Pinkman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jesse Pinkman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jesse Pinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2015, 07:21 AM   #2
Jesse Pinkman

2001 SL2
Default Re: 01 Sl2 service (wrench) light and security light just came on. what's wrong now l

This*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Jesse Pinkman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-13-2015, 07:35 AM   #3
mattwithcats
mattwithcats has a spectacular aura aboutmattwithcats has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2
Default Re: 01 Sl2 service (wrench) light and security light just came on. what's wrong now l

Stop by AutoZone, Advanced Auto, or almost any Auto parts store, and they will read the code for free.

Then you can google it, or post it here, and we will try to help you fix it.

Code readers, basic version, are around $50 (Actron 9125)...

2002 Silver SL2, manual, 5th gear swap (.605), 79,900 miles, black badges,
205/60R15 "H" rated tires, 5mm spacers rear...
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30, NAPA 41516...
NGK BKR6E-11 spark plugs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattwithcats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattwithcats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 07:51 AM   #4
lamping.ap
Advanced Member
lamping.ap will become famous soon enoughlamping.ap will become famous soon enough

1998 SC2

The WRENCH light by itself most often indicates an instrument panel bulb is out...

Onto to your issue. Could be bad battery connection, Bad BCM, or a lock cylinder on its way out, among other things. The light on isn't killing the car, just telling you that the passlock system is "broken" or disabled. See if it happens again, or start poking around. Others may have more info.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=191902

EDIT: Wrench light means possible body codes, that cannot normally be read by a basic scanner or parts store.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lamping.ap's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lamping.ap reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lamping.ap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:19 AM   #5
Jesse Pinkman

2001 SL2

Where should I start poking around and how should I go abouts doing it? Electrical is a whole new game for me lol.

Are these bulbs in the dash? If so how do I locate them and get the dash apart. And is the pass lock going to eventually disable my car from turning on?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-13-2015, 08:59 AM   #6
dano92sl
dano92sl has a spectacular aura aboutdano92sl has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC2
2008 AURA XR

Wish I had an answer for you. Mine has done it for several years now (02 SC2). Goes off with a restart then comes on randomly. Can go away for a month or come on during each drive. Thought it related to the old battery, but a new one (when needed) didn't fix it. Could be some type of ground issue or just a gremlin in the passlock system. I have learned to live with it as there is no effect on anything else. Haven't seen a fix posted here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dano92sl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dano92sl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dano92sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:13 AM   #7
Jesse Pinkman

2001 SL2

UPDATE: Car would not start, noticed security light was blinking. Did a bit of research and found the bypass/ reset. Did that once and got the car started again.

Does this help diagnose the problem?

-Jon

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-13-2015, 04:10 PM   #8
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

You have two issues, Passlock and wrench codes. Two separate issues. Passlock flashing quickly while starting is not telling you it's faulty or disabled. It flashing/blinking quickly is telling you it detected a theft attempt and goes active, sending a tamper mode signal from the bcm (where Passlock resides) to the pcm, disabling injector operation; the engine will turn with starter use but never fire up. In this case, leaving ignition ON for 10 minutes will allow the timer to reset Passlock by changing the security status. Cycle the ignition switch off and a restart should allow normal starting and driving. While it may be annoying, as long as it doesn't occur often, live with it. If it occurs more often, Passlock may be an issue or more likely the bcm may be announcing its demise. Search around here for what the bcm does. Passlock to my knowledge does not turn on the wrench light.

Passlock wiring and sensors are in the steering column surrounding the ignition lock/switch and rarely fails. More confusion is made of this, blaming Passlock for being locked out than understanding its role in security to prevent car theft. It can be said GM and other car manufacturers made headway into factory theft deterrent systems. Starting with GM's Corvette with the resistor chip embedded into the ignition key back in the 80's. Variations of this simple factory system has brought out another chip in the key, the RFID/transponder key almost every car manufacturer uses for enhanced theft protection.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 08:07 AM   #9
Jesse Pinkman

2001 SL2

There is a new issue
This car is NOT wanting to start. it will turn over, start for a second and die. Security light is NOT on. When it does start to keep it going I have to slam on the gas and rev the snot out of it for a few seconds until will run on its own.

I am so befuddled by this and have no clue what could have caused it.

Could it still be the security system still? because honestly I've never had this issue before yesterday

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-14-2015, 08:13 AM   #10
SL19302
Master Member
SL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to all

2000 SW2
2002 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Pinkman View Post
There is a new issue
This car is NOT wanting to start. it will turn over, start for a second and die. Security light is NOT on. When it does start to keep it going I have to slam on the gas and rev the snot out of it for a few seconds until will run on its own.
Sounds like the engine is now getting flooded, Have you replaced the coolant temp sensor and inspected its connector? Also have you replaced the fuel filter with a WIX replacement and checked fuel pressure for proper operation? The reason I ask is Gen 3's are very picky about that filter.

2015 Subaru Forester Limited "Prinny"
2000 SW2 Still Running Strong- 160K Traded In
2002 SL1 Still has Its Training Wheels on at 88K Traded In

CHECK YOUR OIL!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL19302's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL19302 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL19302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:02 AM   #11
Jesse Pinkman

2001 SL2

Haven't replaced the coolant temp sensor or any of the filters. Where are they located? I did try turning this car over like 10 to 15 times before figuring out that passlock issue yesterday. Could that perhaps have caused this? Where is the filter and how do I check to see if it's the problem?

Also I don't have the tools I believe the check the psi of the fuel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-14-2015, 11:36 AM   #12
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

1-Search for richpin videos.

2-Try Autozone for loaner tools; strut spring compressor, fuel pressure gauge, etc..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote