SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2012, 09:39 AM   #1
Good_Apollo
Good_Apollo is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1
Default 1996 SL1 bucking/jerking while cold in 3rd and 4th

Hey guys, 1996 SL1. Rebuild engine with about 40k. Run perfect until recently, has an oil pan leak but that is unrelated and I have started another thread on that.

I have noticed the past 2 days that while cold, the car bucks/jerks on acceleration in 3rd and 4th gear. It has done it in 2nd gear once but it is pretty consistent in 3rd and 4th. Seems to pretty much go away once the car is warmed up. There is no SES light on. It bucks and feels like a misfire, but I don't think the engine is missing.

The car idles perfectly fine, around 750rpm and I can rev it up to redline with no jerks/misses in neutral.

I'm really hoping this isn't a trans issue

EDIT: Forgot to mention, plugs/wires were replaced at time of rebuild. NGK copper used. Coil pack is original as far as I know, but like I said I'm not thinking it is an ignition issue, I would think it would throw a blinking SES if it were misfiring

Last edited by Good_Apollo; 04-22-2012 at 09:44 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Good_Apollo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Good_Apollo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Good_Apollo is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2012, 02:15 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 1996 SL1 bucking/jerking while cold in 3rd and 4th

Try the following two suggestions in separate tests; a temporary blocking gasket for the egr valve and removing the O2 sensor. The blocking gasket for the egr valve is to remove any interference from the egr valve causing exhaust gases from mixing with fresh air in the intake manifold and causing stumbling without any error codes. The same can be said of a clogged catalytic converter.

Removing the O2 sensor will allow an alternate exhaust path flow if the catcon is clogged, preventing normal exhaust flow. A constipated exhaust system won't generate any error codes and cause stumbling problems. How old is the catcon?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
Good_Apollo

1996 SL1

Thanks. The cat is probably the original, I put a new downpipe on but not a cat. However, I would think the issue would happen all the time if it was a clogged exhaust, really only happens when cold it seems. I did just change my plugs and the #3 plug looked a little rough, drove and it didn't do it but everything was already fairly warm. Tomorrow morning will be the test I guess.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Good_Apollo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-23-2012, 08:18 AM   #4
Good_Apollo

1996 SL1

Well, with new plugs it ran fine this morning in 35 degree weather. I think it was a bad plug, but they only had about 35k on them. what kind of life do you guys get out of plugs?

Side note, now I have to start digging through grounds, battery cables, etc. I have a dash lights flickering issue that has come back, it stopped doing it for almost a year.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-23-2012, 08:35 AM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Spark plugs ehh? Maybe the rebuild fouled them? Others should have mileage numbers for you on spark plug life.

As far as grounds go, try starting with all the main ones that you can see. Main battery ground to the chassis and engine then work towards the inside, console and instrument panel, etc..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:35 AM   #6
Good_Apollo

1996 SL1

Just a quick update, did a few quick image searches at work this morning and the buildup on the #3 plug looks to be oil deposits, not lean. Makes sense since my valve cover was leaking profusely around that plug. Should get more life out of these plugs now that the valve cover is fixed I would think.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-23-2012, 09:26 AM   #7
magtec
Advanced Member
magtec will become famous soon enough

1995 SW2

a valve cover gasket leak cannot foul spark plugs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to magtec's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help magtec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
magtec is offline   Reply With Quote