SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2007, 03:02 PM   #1
64Pete
64Pete is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
1997 SL2
Default 97 SL2 Disc Brake Parking Brake problem

Hi,
New to list, and I swear I looked in the archives for this problem!!

The car is a 97 SL2 with 4 wheel disc brakes.
I'm the family mechanic so not the regular driver of this car.
The report I got from the driver was that parking brake was applied extra hard and now does not seem to work right.
The cables are not broken, the springs not missing, the actuating levers move freely.
The left rear caliper seems to apply pressure to piston when the lever on caliper is pulled.
However the right side caliper does not seem to do anything when lever is pulled.
Can hydraulic brake still work but parking brake be siezed and we didn't realize it? (but the lever moves ok-same as left side)
Does not seem to be common, couldn't find anything like this in archive.
Repairable, or just go get a rebuilt caliper?
Thanks.

Pete

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 64Pete's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 64Pete reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
64Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2007, 07:09 PM   #2
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2
Default Re: 97 SL2 Disc Brake Parking Brake problem

The cable could be stretched. Also did you check to see that the cable is still attached at the handle end? Also check to see that it still has it mounting tab and that its bolted to the underside of the car. Just infront and inside of the rear tire.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 Saturn SC2
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 07:41 AM   #3
wrenchtnr
wrenchtnr is on a distinguished road

1992 SL

The e-brake return spring mounted on/by the caliper is exposed to a lot of water /dirt/salt. Is it functioning smoothly? Hit it with penetrating fluid and work it repeatedly, it can probably be salvaged.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wrenchtnr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wrenchtnr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wrenchtnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 09:19 AM   #4
64Pete

2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
1997 SL2

Thanks for replies.
This is not the cable.
I was manually operating the lever on the calipers with a large pair of channellock pliers.
Left side works right side didn't seem to.

Pete

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 64Pete reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-28-2007, 10:20 AM   #5
wrenchtnr
wrenchtnr is on a distinguished road

1992 SL

Well if the brakes work at the caliper level but not from the handle inside that means the problem is the cable.

Is there a lot of slack? Have you tried tightening it, (two nuts behind the brake handle)? I don't recall the exact cable run, but their may be brackets which hold the cable taut is the cable still in those?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wrenchtnr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wrenchtnr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wrenchtnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 02:21 PM   #6
bgates2b
bgates2b is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
1994 SL2

Well, he said that he was unable to move the right side with a pair of pliers, so it is stuck. You might get them unstuck by working them and spraying the spring with some penetrating oil. On my 94, I found it allowed the brake to drag so bad that smoke would pour from the rear well. I wound up having to replace the cable and the caliper because the heat from the caliper dragging fubared the cable.

"Congratulations on your brand new 2007 Acura" - Tenisha, the On*Star rep that handled my call during the Aura's delivery

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bgates2b's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bgates2b reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bgates2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 09:19 AM   #7
64Pete

2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
1997 SL2

From my original post:
"The cables are not broken, the springs not missing, the actuating levers move freely.
The left rear caliper seems to apply pressure to piston when the lever on caliper is pulled.
However the right side caliper does not seem to do anything when lever is pulled.
Can hydraulic brake still work but parking brake be seized and we didn't realize it? (but the lever moves ok-same as left side)"

Update:
Apparently it's possible to actually break the mechanism in the caliper that applies parking brake.
Installed rebuilt caliper, all is well, parking brake holds car on steep hill in both directions.

Pete

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-02-2007, 09:29 AM   #8
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

There's a "Tee" in the cable where it splits in two, so if one side froze in the "brake off" postion the other side will still sort of work, but the handle will be harder to pull b/c of the leverage involved. Glad you got it squared away.

You'd be happy to know GM is moving to "top hat" rear discs that have tiny parking brake drums inside... they finally noticed how unreliable their 1990's systems were.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 09:29 PM   #9
bgates2b
bgates2b is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64Pete View Post
Update:
Apparently it's possible to actually break the mechanism in the caliper that applies parking brake.
Installed rebuilt caliper, all is well, parking brake holds car on steep hill in both directions.

Pete
OK, that would do it. I understand the most common way of breaking that mechanism is to use a C-clamp to push the caliper piston back in on the rear brakes. You're supposed to screw the piston back in with a spanning tool or I use a set of needle nose pliers and it works great.

"Congratulations on your brand new 2007 Acura" - Tenisha, the On*Star rep that handled my call during the Aura's delivery

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bgates2b's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bgates2b reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bgates2b is offline   Reply With Quote