SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Support Forum for Canadian Saturn Owners
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-04-2010, 10:33 AM   #1
patchouly
patchouly will become famous soon enoughpatchouly will become famous soon enough

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default L200 Parking Brake Issues

I have a 2001, L200. It's a great little car! However, when I bought it, I was unable to engage the parking brake. I would pull up on it but it wouldn't be far enough for it to ratchet. Well, I continued to procrastinate with this issue until yesterday.

So, yesterday, I decided to find out one way or the other what was going on. I pulled on the parking brake as hard as I could and actually got it to click three times. When I released the brake, the car rolled. The "parking brake warning light" was on, but the brakes weren't engaged. So, I released the parking brake and tried again. After several attempts, the brakes seemed to "partially" engage. Problem was, when I released them, the warning light went off, but the brakes were still engaged.

I got down under the car (or as much of me that would fit LOL), and sure enough, the cable to the rear driver's side brakes, was rusted. I wiggled and pulled on it and heard a tension/squeak noise. After checking the car, it seemed to have released "most" of the way ( it still seems to squeak, very quietly, a little bit).

Looking at how the cables hang down on each side and knowing that I live in Canada with it's cold winters, the rusting issue is not a big surprise.

My question (you knew there had to be one eventually, right?) is, has anyone else had this issue? Did you have the cables replaced and, if so, how much did it cost?

Thanks in advance guys! This looks like a great forum and a fantastic resource for we Saturn owners!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to patchouly's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help patchouly reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
patchouly is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links