SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2012, 01:08 PM   #1
goose737700
goose737700 has a spectacular aura aboutgoose737700 has a spectacular aura about

Default dragging brakes

Ok guys This weekend I decided to do the front brakes, ceramic pads and new rotors.
I put them on torqued to specs and went for a drive. initially they felt good, but were smoking quite a bit. after a few miles they began to drag and smoke real bad....by the time i got home the brakes (both front) were dragging real bad so back to the garage, took them off inspected everything. the new clips were cooked as were the pads. So after working on vw's for years and never having an issue like this, I'm stumped. The calipers slide nice when everything is reassembled and cool. is there anything obvious i am missing here?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to goose737700's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help goose737700 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
goose737700 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2012, 11:16 PM   #2
RedGeminiPA
RedGeminiPA will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: dragging brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose737700 View Post
Ok guys This weekend I decided to do the front brakes, ceramic pads and new rotors.
I put them on torqued to specs and went for a drive. initially they felt good, but were smoking quite a bit. after a few miles they began to drag and smoke real bad....by the time i got home the brakes (both front) were dragging real bad so back to the garage, took them off inspected everything. the new clips were cooked as were the pads. So after working on vw's for years and never having an issue like this, I'm stumped. The calipers slide nice when everything is reassembled and cool. is there anything obvious i am missing here?
There are caliper slide pins that need heavily greased. Other than that, I'm not sure. Hopefully one of the others with more experience can shed some light.

Avid Apple, car and vacuum enthusiast. Don't hate! ;)

Current:
'04 FWD 3.5L

Previous:
'05 AWD Red Line
'02 L200

http://www.facebook.com/SaturnFansNorthEast

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RedGeminiPA's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RedGeminiPA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RedGeminiPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:09 AM   #3
pdough
Advanced Member
pdough will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L

Caliper pins. Check them for ease of movement. They should slide easily, and if they bind, they'll put a punishment on the pads. I've pulled mine and greased them more than a few times. They take a beating on this car, and need greasing every brake job since the fronts do so much of the breaking on this car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pdough's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pdough reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:04 AM   #4
goose737700
goose737700 has a spectacular aura aboutgoose737700 has a spectacular aura about

I checked the pins and they slide real nice so i didn't lube them, I'll give it a try. I might have found a possible cause in the flexible brake hose on the rt side. It looks good but when I try and compress the pistons i have to bleed that caliper. the left side retracts nice and easy. I have read that a lot of gm vehicles have a problem with the inner hose lining separating and acting as a check valve, which is just how this is behaving. It is either that or some other blockage in the system. Has anyone else experienced this? I'll be lubing the pins and resurface the rotors before the new hoses arrive. Does anyone have a hydraulic schematic of the brake system? The Haynes book is a joke.
Thanks for your help.
Jay

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help goose737700 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-29-2012, 09:59 AM   #5
RedGeminiPA
RedGeminiPA will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 3.5L

It probably won't make a difference, but what year and engine?

Avid Apple, car and vacuum enthusiast. Don't hate! ;)

Current:
'04 FWD 3.5L

Previous:
'05 AWD Red Line
'02 L200

http://www.facebook.com/SaturnFansNorthEast

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RedGeminiPA's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RedGeminiPA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RedGeminiPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:02 AM   #6
tiger862
tiger862 will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L

If you let calipers hang while you did brakes then there is a possibility that the hose collapsed. Have seen that a time or two.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tiger862's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tiger862 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tiger862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:04 PM   #7
goose737700

i always hang them from a strap, so that is what is so confusing. also this is a 28,000 mile 2007 2wd, v6.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-29-2012, 01:26 PM   #8
tiger862
tiger862 will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L

Wow that is low mileage for brakes. I would change line if it is only one wheel then flush system. Sounds like to be when you compressed the caliber you forced fluid backwards into master cylinder and got a clog and now it is not releasing. May have to put new master cylinder and flush whole system. The way I do it is release the bleeder while compressing caliber and then check for pedal after done. If it needs bleeding then I open all bleeders and gravity bleed system if you don't have abs. Once they start draining clear fluid I am done and close off each one. Not the normal way but works best for me since I don't have second person to pump up pedal. Have uses vacuum hand held several times and that works also. Always a good idea to flush system after each brake job.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tiger862's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tiger862 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tiger862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:49 PM   #9
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

I would suspect part of the problem is with the caliper pins, and their lubrication.

I keep my pins well lubricated and they developed irregular wear patterns. I ordered new pins for my next brake service.

There's people on this forum that even replace their pins with every brake service. IMO they should just be inspected for pits, and unusual wear, like the photo I attached.

Since I did not have replacement pins on hand, I smoothed the irregularities on these pins and lubed the heck out of them and reinstalled them. They have been fine for the past 6 months.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:20 PM   #10
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Calipers/hoses routed correctly to prevent kinking, rubbing against the inside of the tires when turning full right/left??

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:11 PM   #11
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

The strangest thing is that it's happening on both brakes...

Could the new ceramic pads be too thick? Did you have problems installing them?

My EBC ceramic Green Stuff pads looked thicker than a semi-metallic or standard brake pad...

How did you depress the pistons? During a pad replacement I always use a large c-clamp to depress the pistons to make sure its fully depressed.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:34 AM   #12
goose737700

Default Re: dragging brakes Done!

Sorry for the Delay in posting, but I took a vacation in the middle of this ordeal.
I am at a loss as to what caused the problem but it only got worse. After all the suggestions I ended up greasing the slider pins and bleeding the brakes again, took it for a test drive, and ended up cooking the brakes again, They got so hot that both ABS WS sensors melted and caused an open circuit. So By then my new flex hoses arrived and I decided to replace the rt front caliper.
So new rt caliper and hose, and replaced the lower slider pins the ones with the rubber sleeves with plain pins, new wss from oreiley autoparts, and back on the road. The car was braking great right up to about 5 mph, then the abs kicks in and no brakes. so now i'm really p.o'd. Man what a pain. The sensors I got from O'reily were 1040 ohms and the mounting faces were clean, so i decided to take it to the dealer thinking that I was out of options. Well it turns out the sensors required for this Vue ohm out at 1860 ohms, quite a difference (720 ohms). So I bought the AC delco sensors and put them on and voila it works. I'll be contacting the autoparts store and letting them know about their product, but I'm just glad its done. This has been the most frustrating automotive job I have ever done, and I've done quite a few. Thanks for your help all of you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-18-2012, 01:05 PM   #13
newbievueowner
newbievueowner is a jewel in the roughnewbievueowner is a jewel in the roughnewbievueowner is a jewel in the roughnewbievueowner is a jewel in the rough

2006 VUE Red Line

Pretty sure a seized caliper likely caused the issue. I had this happen on my 05 twice when driving before I decided to replace the caliper. Problem went away. Popped the piston out and there was corrosion on the cast iron that was likely making the fit too tight.

You could tell when driving it as it was dragging and a little sluggish and the brakes were very hot. Normally you can touch them with your hand if they are working properly, these you could feel the heat radiating from 8"+ away!

Saturn Vue: The 250 HP tupperware

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to newbievueowner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help newbievueowner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
newbievueowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:51 PM   #14
SaturnIONSLVUE
Advanced Member
SaturnIONSLVUE is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan
2006 VUE 3.5L

I have this same problem with my 2005 Jeep Liberty. But it just started out of no place. Had the Breaks replaced in September, and then about a month ago the rear disk brakes locked up smoking hot. Returned the car to the place I had the breaks done in September. Took the breaks apart no problems found, but locking up after driving so they replaced the break line drivers side rear and front pads and rotors and flushed the system. It worked fine until the other day when I drove the car 50 miles on the highway when the rear passenger break locked up. Let the car sit when I was at my event when I drove the car home the breaks did not lock up at all. So I am very confused as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnIONSLVUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnIONSLVUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnIONSLVUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:33 AM   #15
newbievueowner
newbievueowner is a jewel in the roughnewbievueowner is a jewel in the roughnewbievueowner is a jewel in the roughnewbievueowner is a jewel in the rough

2006 VUE Red Line

99% sure you probably have a stuck/sticking piston in the caliper. Probably some water/misture in the original brake fluid, causing some corrosion to the cast iron.

Saturn Vue: The 250 HP tupperware

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to newbievueowner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help newbievueowner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
newbievueowner is offline   Reply With Quote