SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2009, 07:40 PM   #1
04Vuesilver
Advanced Member
04Vuesilver is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
Default brakes dragging

Last year when I replaced my brakes, I noticed that the driver side pads were worn a lot more than the passenger side. Just last night when I was out with my wife, I noticed that the driver side brakes were dragging. The car felt quick as usual, but it felt like it was getting hung up in a lower gear, causing a lot of extra noise and a slight vibration (I doubt my wife even noticed anything). When I got out of the car I could smell the brakes burning, and noticed smoke coming from the front wheel, coming off the brakes themselves.

Anyone else have this problem? Is it a problem with my suspension (which needs to be replaced), or could this be something that stemmed from the accident almost 3yrs ago now?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 04Vuesilver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 04Vuesilver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
04Vuesilver is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2009, 09:58 PM   #2
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: brakes dragging

My guess would be that your caliper slide pins aren't allowing the caliper to slide. I recently went through this with my Mazda. I got out of my car at work one day and was greeted with the aroma of hot brakes. My left rear wheel was hot and the smell was definitely coming from there. It never happened again, but a couple days later I took apart the caliper (which wasn't easy because of its inability to slide), removed the slider pin, cleaned up the junk off the pin, reassembled the caliper with some disc brake caliper lube and everything has been fine since then.

I guess it's possible that the accident caused the slider pin to get bent, but I'd look into cleaning and relubing it first.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 12:20 PM   #3
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom92SCm View Post
My guess would be that your caliper slide pins aren't allowing the caliper to slide ... I guess it's possible that the accident caused the slider pin to get bent, but I'd look into cleaning and relubing it first.
Tom92SCm ... this is a great idea and something I hadn't thought of ... I lubricated the pins on my 05 Vue on advice of Saturn mechanic while chasing front-end clacking noise (eventually isolated to strut mounts).

04Vuesilver ... I realize you're convinced the left front brake is "dragging" and a simple test I've used (without jacking vehicle) is to coast on a smooth and level parking lot with hands off wheel ... any pull to either side generally indicates increased friction of some rolling component (brake, bearing, tire pressure).

A more scientific test is using an IR thermometer to check temperature on any brake, bearing, axle or wheel surface. I have a decent one for use in garage but many cooks (including my wife) has one for the kitchen to check temperature of water, grease, etc. while preparing meals. (Just a hint in case you need another excuse to buy).

I've attached a service manual extract pertaining to checking front disc brakes, including guide pins, in case you don't have.

Good luck.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 04 Vue Disc Brakes.pdf (68.5 KB, 46 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:19 PM   #4
04Vuesilver
Advanced Member
04Vuesilver is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line

I don't feel it dragging at all times. So I'm not sure if its just an intermittent problem, or if I just don't notice it all the time

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 04Vuesilver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 04Vuesilver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
04Vuesilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:51 AM   #5
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

The caliper could be bad also. They get corroded inside and start to stick in one position. If something were out of line from collision damage, I'm sure you would have noticed it before now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1saxman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1saxman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1saxman is offline   Reply With Quote