SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2019, 01:21 AM   #1
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Oh no...a CV axle has to be replaced. Could I do it myself?

The short answer to my question above is no. I had gotten to the point of needing to separate the inner CV joint from the transaxle at the driver side, but ran into trouble while working with this in my garage. I found it necessary to elevate the front end much higher than I usually do when doing work on the underside of the car. While attempting to pry the inner CV joint out of the transaxle it seemed that the car was no longer adequately stable above me. (Having said this, in the last few years I've made it a habit to set up a back up pair of jack stands in case the one's bearing the weight should fail.) So I found myself having to put it all back together and take the car to my preferred local mechanic today. He installed the part which I'd already purchased and only charged me $85.00 - a very reasonable price!

While I believe that I could've done this job on my own, I must first find some way of making the car more stable above me. If that can't be done then this job will remain among those which will have to go to a mechanic with a really nice hoist to put my car on and do the work for me. Oh well...

To be clear, I am not complaining. I'm glad that my mechanic was able to help me.

322,000 miles - Holy canolli!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2019, 11:52 AM   #2
02 LW300
Advanced Member
02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Oh no...a CV axle has to be replaced. Could I do it myself?

Yes having a hoist and a shop makes most under car repairs much easier.

2002 L200/5 loaded, loving my stick shift car now with KYB struts and adjustable rear control arms.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02 LW300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02 LW300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02 LW300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 01:13 PM   #3
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02 LW300 View Post
Yes having a hoist and a shop makes most under car repairs much easier. (emphasis by pierrot)
Me thinks this is an understatement!

322,000 miles - Holy canolli!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

Last edited by pierrot; 11-03-2019 at 01:19 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 02:55 PM   #4
focusofheart
focusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
...While I believe that I could've done this job on my own, I must first find some way of making the car more stable above me. If that can't be done then this job will remain among those which will have to go to a mechanic with a really nice hoist to put my car on and do the work for me. Oh well...:...
Personally, I am just thankful you have some common sense regarding your own safety.

Saturn 1998 - SL2
Singer 1952 - 301A

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to focusofheart's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help focusofheart reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
focusofheart is offline   Reply With Quote