SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2019, 04:13 PM   #1
lrbraner
lrbraner is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Oil change indicator

Curious as to what other members experience has been as far as the amount of miles before the oil change indicator comes on.
On my two L Series V6's it has been between 5900 and 6000 miles so far.
I have owned the 2003 LW300 for 3 years, it has 77K on it.
The 2002 L300 I have had for about a year and a half. It has 194K plus on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lrbraner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lrbraner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lrbraner is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2019, 05:27 PM   #2
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Oil change indicator

My son's L300 has been with us over 5 years now and I can't remember all the oil/filter changes I have done on it. I always reset the indicator but to be honest I don;t bother with it. I just the oil/filter at 6000 miles/6 months which ever comes sooner period. I do the same with my own Suburban, which again has the same indicator system on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 05:27 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

When driving to and from work (round trip of 20 miles), my average OCI was around 5600 miles. Retired and driving less, my last OCI was around 4k miles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:49 PM   #4
02 LW300
Advanced Member
02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

My light just flipped on last week and it has been about 4500 miles. I commute 60 miles a day and there is both city and highway driving involved.

2002 L200/5 loaded, loving my stick shift car now with KYB struts and adjustable rear control arms.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02 LW300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02 LW300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02 LW300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:10 AM   #5
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Remember that the Oil Life Monitor calculates the oil change interval based on various factors, but - interestingly - mileage is not among them. The article linked below gives useful information about this item on our cars.

https://www.markquartmotors.com/blog...-newer-models/

An earlier article from Edmunds gives another perspective on the subject from a few years prior to the one above.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-maintena...g-systems.html

Here in SoCal when I have gone long on my oil change interval I know that the OLM monitor light had not illuminated while the interval had exceeded 4K miles. That is a very rare event for me. My habit has been to keep it closer to, or at 3K miles based on the conditions where I live.

321,000 miles - Holy canolli!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:30 AM   #6
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Here's another article which supports some information from the Markquart Motors link in the above post:

https://www.autoblog.com/2013/04/05/...oil-changes-m/

and a very similar article

https://autoweek.com/article/car-new...-life-monitors

although this link doesn't directly relate to the ECOTEC 2.2L or the ELLESMERE 3.0L V6 it does suggest a cautionary note about choosing to follow the OLM's algorithm.

Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

Last edited by pierrot; 11-10-2019 at 12:44 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-10-2019, 09:19 AM   #7
lrbraner
lrbraner is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

To be clear my question was only out of curiosity.
I did not state that I used it as a gauge to change the oil.
We all have our beliefs on the oil change subject.
I personally change mine around 3500 miles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lrbraner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lrbraner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lrbraner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:00 PM   #8
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I get what these articles say (some were written 7 years ago) BUT key to "oil life" is the oil itself. I doubt any of these articles takes that into account.

I don't want this thread to degenerate into a 'what oil to use' like it has on the S Series Forum, but suffice it to say that oil technology continues to develop. Some folks use dino oil, I personally always use synthetic. I believe one has a very strong advantage over the other. Some drivers use Rotella oil which is specifically made for diesel engines rather than oil made for petrol engines. So things like further muddy the water on this topic.

Yes, types of trip also have an impact. Short commutes, where the engine never really gets hot do no favors for the engine or the oil. A car that gets a good workout on the Interstates, if properly maintained will likely be in better condition.

I know there are some folks who religiously stand by the old advice of change oil at 3000 miles. I think those days are well gone, though many will still stick to it. It's whatever floats your boat IMHO.

My Suburban which hits 250K miles in less than 1K miles has an Hour meter in the odometer system, so perhaps I should follow that instead of miles traveled. my Ex's father is a retired Merchant Navy Chief Engineer and their ship engines were maintained by Hours operated, not by knots traveled, etc, etc. So there is truth in that route.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-10-2019, 02:01 PM   #9
pierrot
Master Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

^Well said - couldn't agree more! I, too, had noticed the age of the articles linked, but was satisfied that they provided a reasonably accurate assessment of the OLM and how it works. The articles were more than adequate as "food for thought."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-10-2019, 10:28 PM   #10
rfisher
rfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: Oil change indicator- the old oil change when trick

hi sages- have 01 L100 with the 4 cyl. with 187k miles. engine runs well. only major work was timing gears and chain replacement. always change my own oil and filter every 4500-5k miles which is when the olm light comes on. always the same oil- 10-30 quaker state conventional . driving is mostly suburban driving with occasional interstate trip. seems to work well. did not know olm computer system factored in and sensed a variety of conditions other than strictly miles. never used synthetic. engine uses 1 quart between changes. car has done about 40 round trips fla-nj. have heard too many conflicting stories on whether synthetic oil use significantly extends engine life. thanks tons bob f

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rfisher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rfisher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 11:47 PM   #11
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

What will never be revealed with definitive facts restricts whether or not syn oil prolongs and is more effective than regular oil. The only reason syn vs regular will never be definitive is one fact every auto manufacturer adheres to as part of new car warranty; follow the owner's manual on oil changes whether using GMs oil life monitoring system or other manufacturers recommendations. This applies to syn oil too. By adhering to this standard, auto manufacturers are following long established standards long before syn oil was created to maintain strict conformity for vehicle warranties and reliability. Once out of warranty, no auto manufacturer cares what owners do since legally a vehicle no longer covered under a warranty isn't concerned. Any liability issues past new car warranty is not covered as the standard reply upon initial enquiries why an engine fails would be "Is this car under warranty and if not is the same maintenance procedures followed?" By sticking with long established standards of oil viscosity and recommended oil change intervals whether by time and/or mileage, using syn oil falls under vehicle manufacturers guidelines no matter how superior syn oil is compared to regular. Never mind the fact that syn oil surpasses regular oil in outperforming it in many ways, all oil manufacturers follow engine manufacturers guidelines. That is, whether using regular or syn oil, continue to follow oil change guidelines to remain within recommendations. To do otherwise makes that person the beta tester with zero backup long after new car warranty has passed. In one case, this implies a waste of money in using syn oil for the same oil change interval but on the other hand if an owner wants the best oil, using syn oil is insurance in prolonging engine life. This also means that an assumption of zero oil consumption was already part of engine history before switching to syn oil. GMs sports car, the Corvette, specifies Mobil-1 full synthetic and uses the same oil life monitoring program as the rest of the GMs family of vehicles. Because high horsepower is generated, specifying syn oil is the cheapest long term insurance against engine damage for GMs high profile car. If I'm not mistaken, no extra mileage is programmed in the 'Vette's OLM to increase mileage between changes. Using a high quality syn oil is one way to let consumers know that syn oil is recommended for some engines from the factory. No different from these same engines demanding only premium fuel for the greater power generated. Specifying one brand of syn oil is saying that one manufacturer believes in the superior qualities of syn oil.

If an engine already consumes oil, syn oil usage may increase with zero guarantees of correcting a problem that exists. Only a few accept altering oil change intervals to maximize syn oil costs to justify not changing oil at 3k, 4k, 5k or more miles. Those beta testing their engines accept the outcomes, good or bad, and probably not discuss it to avoid the debates and comfortable with being in the silent group. You might come across a reply about engine tear downs or peering into the oil fill hole as how clean an engine is, without any oil stains using syn oil. Wear on moving parts is minimal and a testimony to syn oil being superior to regular in extreme heat and cold during the crucial phase of engine operations, starting where a thin film of oil prevents metal to metal contact.

It's always a personal decision to change oil at recommended intervals whether using regular or syn oil. Altering oil change intervals whether using regular or syn oil is another step for the serious diyer willing to accept the consequences.

Last edited by fdryer; 11-10-2019 at 11:58 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-11-2019, 09:36 AM   #12
rfisher
rfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the rough

hi fd- interesting analysis. have heard rumors that switching to syn oil after a pile of miles with conventional oil will lead to heightened oil consumption. old wisdom was to switch to heavier oil (30wt or 40 wt) to slow oil consumption in an oil burner. then in the 80s that mantra was reversed and the word was to switch to a lighter, single weight oil(10wt, 20wt or 10-30 but not 10-40 which has something in it which kills or clogs catalytic converters) in an oil burner. both advices cant be true. took me a while to find back in the 70s about oil consumption guidelines in newer cars still under warranty. found out then that 800miles per quart was the standard for the industry, at least the Chrysler/Plymouth dealers. no dealer wants to bear the cost of warranty work to rebuild or replace an engine and will go out of their way to have the owner eat the cost. have seen this shysterism more than once which has contributed to my bad attitude to clip joint dealers. perhaps some have noticed it. mea culpa. thanks tons bob f

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rfisher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rfisher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 10:46 AM   #13
floridasl22002

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Depending on what side of the pond you are manufacturers quote differnt oil change intervals! GM and other manufacturers in Europe a good while ago developed longer times between oil/filter changes. 10,000 miles is the norm in Europe. Explain that and the US still with anywhere between 3000 to 6000 mile intervals?

I moved from Conventional to Full Synthetic several years ago. I have done that on 5 family vehicles. I don;t buy super expensive stuff either, just Walmarts Super Tech brand.

Whilst I don''t fully comprehend the technology in oil, suffice it to say that synthetic oil can get through seals used to conventional oil and that is why some folks get oil leaks when swapping. I have only ever that once on my Ex's Chrysler Sebring, but it was Chrysler!

Besides oil technology developing over the years, so has manufacturing and manufacturing tolerances, also CAFE standards.

When I first began driving in Britain, the oil of choice was Duckhams 20/50 dino oil. Engines were built to, lets say fairly loose tolerances. That sitiution has continued for many years, but along come the likes of Honda and engine manufacturing took a leap forwards with closer tolerances. That brought about changes to oil weights and we saw 5W/50, 10W/50 etc. Now with CAFE standards increasing and mileage figures having to improve, manufacturers engine tolerances are getting even tighter, so much so that heavier oils cannot do their job in such work areas and additionally the weight of the oil leads to lower mpg figures. the solution has been the creation of the lightweight oils we see nowadays such as 0W/20. All these developments lead to changes and I cannot believe for one moment that manufacturers will still stick i9n the dark ages of 3000 miles changes any more.

On a final note, if you read about the BMW 6 series (not the new current one, but the model just replaced) you will find that it has a reputation all its own for oil consumption. It is not a design defect but BMW explain that is how it was designed TO consume oil between changes. The amount consumed would lead most car owners to get their cars checked out for wear!

On a very final note, oil and filter changes are just another part of the maintenance program of our cars. All cars are different and all owners are different. Some are fastidious to the point of being anal, the other end of the spectrum are the owners who so long as the dash is full of McDonalds boxes they are good. I think most of us are somewhere in that huge mid-point. As a consequence, opinions will be as great and varied as there are changes in the weather. There is NO exact answer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-11-2019, 12:57 PM   #14
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

rfisher, as pointed out by floridasl22002, European oil changes are at much higher mileage. I've noticed that over the years and decided long ago to adopt a personal change of oil in my L300. As mentioned previously, I don't recommend changing oil outside of recommended suggestions from owner's manuals or deviating from GMs OLM (oil life monitor) using advanced algorithms to tailor each engine to a conservative oil change interval to allow less stress on owners forgetting when to perform oil changes and rely on automated systems to turn on the oil change light. Much like GM attempting to introduce daytime running lights in the USA yet failing to gather legislation for mandatory adoption across the board, the unique OLM seems to be working as designed with little to zero negative impact. That is, GM owners either cling to 3k mile oil changes (very outdated and a waste of resources) or adapt to the OLM indicator with an eye on how many miles accrued before the OLM turned on. Other than manually resetting the OLM indicator, I and members here find the OLM one step better towards customized oil change intervals. Longer than the old standard of 3k miles begun when engines were manually machined with more or less loose tolerances. Computerized machining in the last twenty or thirty years create tighter tolerances while oil formulations changed for the better. Both improvements led the way to lower emissions levels prolonging engines much more than before.

A little known fact was left out of early synthetic motor oil discussions that I bring up from time to time. Older engines before synthetic oil was formulated used non synthetic seals. Regular motor oil is compatible with these older seals but they couldn't swell with syn oil. Regular motor oil helped seals swell, ensuring against leaks. When syn oil was tried, these older seals simply didn't swell up and leaked out new syn oil. Blame went to syn oil when engine manufacturers knew non synthetic oil seals wouldn't work with syn oil. Specifically speaking, the rear crankshaft seals were some of the initial problems of seal leaks. The seals were fine but incompatible with syn oil. The solution? Engine manufacturers quietly went to seal manufacturers and demanded synthetic seals. Once incorporated, regular or syn oil can be used interchangeably and mixed without issues. This piece of engine history occurred about forty years ago. Virtually every EFI engine uses seals compatible with regular or synthetic oil. The chemistry industry can be thanked for this. As to mechanical wear like piston rings, scuffing cylinder walls and wearing down crankshaft journals, the thin film of oil is relied on to separate metal to metal contacting each other. Syn oil has better film retention than regular as shown in many snapshots of side by side comparisons of engines using regular oil against a similar engine using syn oil. Wear occurs less with syn oil. Europeans holding a much higher oil change interval are more environmentally concerned than America. (let the debates begin). Syn oil cannot correct wear and tear of mechanical parts occurring before syn oil is tried, period. When incorporated on new engines, syn oil has demonstrated little to no wear with engine tear downs showing like new parts. Machining processes, chemistry and oil formulations have improved well past the old standard of 3k mile oil changes. Syn oil manufacturers won't waste time convincing the vast majority of owners in America to adopt higher oil change mileage since auto manufacturers are already specifying around 5k-7.5k miles between oil changes. Oil manufacturers tout up to 15k mikes of oil use when using syn oil but declare following engine manufacturers guidelines to hedge against any backlash that would void new car warranties. Keeping oil up to 15k miles goes along with European oil change intervals but scares many in America......... I replace my oil filter at every OLM indicator. I replace oil at every other OLM indicator. Do the math. I'm just over 108k miles with a perfectly smooth idle as the day I bought the car and zero oil consumption issues.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-12-2019, 08:54 PM   #15
Russet
Russet has a spectacular aura aboutRusset has a spectacular aura about

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Mine and my parents Saturn L300 so far are going at 5K miles oil change light. Mine is 198K and folks are 160K.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Russet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Russet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Russet is offline   Reply With Quote