SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2019, 08:07 AM   #1
rfisher
rfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the rough

Default comparing the Lseries V6 to the 4 cyl

hi sages - have a 4 cyl in my L100 since new and think it is a pretty good engine. a few friends have an L but with a V6. seems they have had to do a lot more expensive work on it than in mine. seems to me the 4 is more desirable since: 1 gets better mpg 2. easier to work on 3 more durable 4 more likely to find stickshift models(never saw a stick in V6 L series- do they exist?) 5 durable steel timing chain in 4 while engine killing timing belt in V6 6 4 cyl models more common in junkyards than V6 models, making parts more available . gm seems to be phasing out many parts for the L series as are after market vendors. moe says its easier to get parts for his 31 model A than the Saturn. so my bruthas is my analysis accurate? thanks tons bob f

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rfisher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rfisher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2019, 11:22 AM   #2
02 LW300
Advanced Member
02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: comparing the Lseries V6 to the 4 cyl

Your reasons are the reasons I drive an L200 stick rather than the Lw300 I bought before. The L61 was used in several GM car lines and the v-6 was limited to some Saab, Cadillac and the Saturn L300.

2002 L200/5 loaded, loving my stick shift car now with KYB struts and adjustable rear control arms.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02 LW300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02 LW300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02 LW300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 09:13 AM   #3
rfisher
rfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the rough

hi 02lw- have seen v6s in L series but all had automatics. have heard on this forum that some L v6s have the 5 speed 3 pedaler. that must be one fast mutha. looking at you tube and seems if one has to replace the bcm in their L, it is located behind the glove compartment box which would require removal of the box and the door. seems that it comes out by disconnecting 3-4 multipin connectors. seems dealers and indies want a fat payday to install and reset it. listened to the steps on you tube and it doesn't seem that bad. replacing the clutch slave cylinder would be more hellacious. enticing to contemplate since don't like being pearl harbored by dealer for 800 for bcm job. when the day comes will probably try for a junkyard bcm. what think LW? thanks tons bob f

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rfisher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rfisher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:39 AM   #4
02 LW300
Advanced Member
02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

When replacing with a used bcm there is a relearn for the security system. The odometer is stored in the bcm. I have started my car and disconnected the bcm and it continued to run however it would not restart until I installed the original bcm. Many body functions are controlled by the bcm, dash functions and accessories. I would imagine the the sunroof would not work if I installed a bcm from a non sunroof car. But the bcm could be programmed with a dealer type programmer to make it work.
The big thing is the odometer if you care on a car this old. I have a 2000 LS1 that that shows 695,000 miles and I have read that the odometer function is usually the first failure. Changing the 1 to a 6 in the first column. I bought this car and the long time owners said it had about 200,000 miles on it.

2002 L200/5 loaded, loving my stick shift car now with KYB struts and adjustable rear control arms.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02 LW300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02 LW300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02 LW300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:15 AM   #5
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

There's no doubt that the L61 2.2L engine is less expensive to maintain and far easier to work on. There is much more open, unused space in the engine compartment. Replacement parts availability for this engine is still good since it was a corporate engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02 LW300 View Post
Your reasons are the reasons I drive an L200 stick rather than the Lw300 I bought before. The L61 was used in several GM car lines and the v-6 was limited to some Saab, Cadillac and the Saturn L300.
One more Saturn model to include: the VUE, '02-'03.

322,000 miles - Holy canolli!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 12:02 PM   #6
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Background information on the V6 used in the L series. Designed by GM, it was built at the Ellesmere Port assembly plant in the UK and became known as the Ellesmere engine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genera...2%B0_V6_engine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 08:49 PM   #7
Russet
Russet has a spectacular aura aboutRusset has a spectacular aura about

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The bigger and more cylinders the more it is complicated to fix and repair that the nature of motors. There are trade off from 4 to 6 and from 6 to 4

1. mpg- I4 but my V6 gets 25-27 mpg overall
2. power when needed - v6
3. A/C - v6 has more power reserve when needed
4. more moving parts to fix v6
5. both valves strike will require head work
6. I4 before chain fix had issues
7. V6 change timing on regular basis to prevent major problems
8. money wise v6 cost more to get on used Saturn V6 over I4.
9. last but not least if you don't maintain either engine it won't last!
10. The smaller the displacement engine the harder it works to move more larger Sedan. v6 wins here hands down.

For me I owned two v6 Saturn a LS2 then L300 and my folks have a V6 as well and for power and ooph we like the v6. And when using A/C having a v6 with the extra power is a needed plus.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Russet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Russet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Russet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 12:58 AM   #8
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Trade offs, indeed! Your points here are well taken, Russet.

I had a conversation several years ago with a friend of mine who'd purchased a 2010 or 2012 Dodge Challenger with a V8. He explained why he chose that engine option over the V6. It came down to two points: the V6 had only 2-3 MPG greater than the V8, but the larger engine gave him much greater HP and torque. I was told that the highway driving typically gave him 28 MPG which he was more than happy with in this car. With that he said, "No one has ever asked for LESS power." That's what led him to choose the stronger engine. Frankly, I agree with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russet View Post
...9. last but not least if you don't maintain either engine it won't last!...
I could not agree more!!

Russet correctly pointed out that there are trade offs one must accept depending on what engine an L-Series car has in it. While I'm pleased with my 2.2L engine and its longevity I would certainly like to have more HP. Unfortunately, that didn't exist when these cars were built and while later ECOTEC engines (including the 2.4L) did get significantly more HP it also led to a lower MPG rating.

For the time being, I still want my higher MPG rating.

322,000 miles - Holy canolli!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is online now   Reply With Quote