SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2015, 09:55 PM   #1
Melissa
Melissa is on a distinguished road

Default 2003 Saturn Ion 2 - add aux input to stereo?

To start, I'm a complete and total newbie when it comes to working on cars in any capacity... so you'll have to excuse me if I'm unclear, or otherwise asking a very silly question.

Basically, I'd like to have an auxiliary input in the stereo of my 2003 Saturn Ion 2, so that I can plug my phone into it and play music through my car's speakers. To my knowledge, the stereo that I have has not been replaced or modified. Is this possible? If so, could someone kindly provide instructions on how to do this?

Thanks for your help!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Melissa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Melissa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2015, 10:24 PM   #2
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Re: 2003 Saturn Ion 2 - add aux input to stereo?

If you want to keep the factory radio, I would recommend installing an FM modulator like the iSimple IS31. It connects directly to your radio's antenna connection so the sound will be static-free and good quality. It's pretty cheap and fairly easy to install.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 178K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 185K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:34 PM   #3
Melissa

Thanks so much! I'll give it a go.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Melissa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-20-2015, 09:30 AM   #4
kevin.st56
kevin.st56 has a spectacular aura aboutkevin.st56 has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Sedan

if you have a tape deck, then you can buy a "tape" that has an aux cord that comes from it.
that's what we are using in my fiancé's santa fe.

like this
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/271034...-1/s-l1000.jpg

03 ion-2 Sedan 5sp
94 Honda civic automatic "VTEC yo"
05 Santa Fe 2.7L (Fefe) {Wrecked}

"A problem clearly stated, is a problem half solved."

♕KCCO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kevin.st56's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kevin.st56 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kevin.st56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 01:36 PM   #5
Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin.st56 View Post
if you have a tape deck, then you can buy a "tape" that has an aux cord that comes from it.
that's what we are using in my fiancé's santa fe.

like this
Oh my goodness, that is brilliant!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-20-2015, 07:54 PM   #6
oxyhydro
oxyhydro has a spectacular aura aboutoxyhydro has a spectacular aura aboutoxyhydro has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-3 Quad Coupe

I cant believe that i still have my tape aux thing from 10yrs ago,i use to use it in a home stereo to connect my ipod to!...

But most of the isimple fm modulators are pretty good or you could just buy a cheap deck with a aux input, im getting a isimple bluetooth( dont remember the model number) one soon so i dont even have to worry about pluging my phone in all the time an keep my factory radio for a decent price.

support your local 81!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to oxyhydro's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help oxyhydro reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
oxyhydro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:19 PM   #7
Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyhydro View Post
I cant believe that i still have my tape aux thing from 10yrs ago,i use to use it in a home stereo to connect my ipod to!...

But most of the isimple fm modulators are pretty good or you could just buy a cheap deck with a aux input, im getting a isimple bluetooth( dont remember the model number) one soon so i dont even have to worry about pluging my phone in all the time an keep my factory radio for a decent price.
I'd never heard of the cassette aux converter before— I actually laughed when I saw how clever that is! The FM modulator does look like a somewhat more permanent solution, but after doing some research, it seems outside my capabilities for now.

I went ahead and ordered a cassette converter online, and am eagerly awaiting its arrival! Thank you all for your help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-21-2015, 06:17 PM   #8
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

I recommended the FM modulator because these radios can be picky when using a cassette adapter. The cassette radio is designed to monitor whether or not the tape is being played properly. If the mechanism inside the adapter doesn't operate smoothly and properly mimic a real cassette, the radio will think the tape has a problem and will eject it as a precaution.

FWIW I have used a cassette adapter in a 2003 Ion with no problems so I hope it works for you though.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 178K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 185K miles

Last edited by ruley73; 08-21-2015 at 06:27 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote