SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2015, 10:59 PM   #1
Samtherecordman
Advanced Member
Samtherecordman is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe
Devil LSJ Throttle Body Swap w LE5 Throttlebody Adapter Plate

On the quest for adding little more HP & Torque without purchasing a Corvette...LoL

With my 3" Short Ram Intake, the car sounds awesome and perform well. I read that the Air Intake can't swallow more air then the stock Throttle Body will allow it to pass (Bottle Neck).

So I have found this from ZZPerformance.... LE5 (2.4L) Throttlebody Adapter Plate and with the LSJ (2.0L) Throttlebody I should be able to pass more air volume.

http://shop.zzperformance.com/store/...ter-Plate.aspx

LE5 TB size: 64.6mm
LSJ TB size: 67.4mm

I got the LSJ Throttle Body new on Ebay for a lot cheaper then what ZZPerformance was asking.

Anxious to bolt it all together, should be interesting! I just hope that it just does not trow the ECM out of specification with check engine light and then requires reprogramming, I just want little more, don't want to go extreme.

What you guys think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LE5 To LSJ TB Adapter.jpg (32.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg LSJ TB.jpg (22.8 KB, 7 views)

Saturn Ion 3 Quad Coupe 3 with Sports Appearance package with Aura Pro Bass Shakers under the front seats, Kenwood Excelon Mono Amplifier and Infinity Kappa Perfect and I'm In Heaven!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Samtherecordman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Samtherecordman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Samtherecordman is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2015, 09:45 AM   #2
goaliemo
goaliemo is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-1 Sedan
2006 ION Red Line
Default Re: LSJ Throttle Body Swap w LE5 Throttlebody Adapter Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samtherecordman View Post
On the quest for adding little more HP & Torque without purchasing a Corvette...LoL

With my 3" Short Ram Intake, the car sounds awesome and perform well. I read that the Air Intake can't swallow more air then the stock Throttle Body will allow it to pass (Bottle Neck).

So I have found this from ZZPerformance.... LE5 (2.4L) Throttlebody Adapter Plate and with the LSJ (2.0L) Throttlebody I should be able to pass more air volume.

http://shop.zzperformance.com/store/...ter-Plate.aspx

LE5 TB size: 64.6mm
LSJ TB size: 67.4mm

I got the LSJ Throttle Body new on Ebay for a lot cheaper then what ZZPerformance was asking.

Anxious to bolt it all together, should be interesting! I just hope that it just does not trow the ECM out of specification with check engine light and then requires reprogramming, I just want little more, don't want to go extreme.

What you guys think?

I think you will need a tune.
So may as well boost it.

I'm just a guy that enjoys my Ions.
Try Google, first. Then ask.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to goaliemo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help goaliemo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
goaliemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 01:11 AM   #3
Samtherecordman
Advanced Member

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by goaliemo View Post
I think you will need a tune.
So may as well boost it.
My car will burn rubber without any steroïds!!! LoL

Saturn Ion 3 Quad Coupe 3 with Sports Appearance package with Aura Pro Bass Shakers under the front seats, Kenwood Excelon Mono Amplifier and Infinity Kappa Perfect and I'm In Heaven!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Samtherecordman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-04-2015, 02:02 PM   #4
goaliemo

2003 ION-1 Sedan
2006 ION Red Line

Quote:
My car will burn rubber without any steroïds!!! LoL
Youll be much happier adding the redline s/c set up to it. Youd be damn close to 200whp then.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help goaliemo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-05-2015, 01:00 AM   #5
oxyhydro
oxyhydro has a spectacular aura aboutoxyhydro has a spectacular aura aboutoxyhydro has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-3 Quad Coupe

This would be cool if this worked without any problems an give it more power!

support your local 81!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to oxyhydro's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help oxyhydro reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
oxyhydro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 01:49 AM   #6
Samtherecordman
Advanced Member

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyhydro View Post
This would be cool if this worked without any problems an give it more power!
I make Love to my thing and you make love to what you find..... LoL !!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-05-2015, 01:51 AM   #7
Samtherecordman
Advanced Member

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

PEDAL À Gaz .......!!!!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-11-2015, 01:28 PM   #8
Samtherecordman
Advanced Member

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Here is some updated Pictures.

LSJ throttle body with the ZZPerformance machined plat and adapter wiring harness.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0811a.jpg (179.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0812a.jpg (182.9 KB, 21 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-11-2015, 01:44 PM   #9
goaliemo

2003 ION-1 Sedan
2006 ION Red Line

Quote:
Here is some updated Pictures.

LSJ throttle body with the ZZPerformance machined plat and adapter wiring harness.
And how is that idle?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-11-2015, 01:48 PM   #10
Samtherecordman
Advanced Member

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
And how is that idle?
Idles perfectly fine to about 700-800 RPM like it used to, Prrrr like a kitten and roar like a lion.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-11-2015, 02:53 PM   #11
oxyhydro
oxyhydro has a spectacular aura aboutoxyhydro has a spectacular aura aboutoxyhydro has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Looks nice

support your local 81!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help oxyhydro reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-12-2015, 12:41 AM   #12
goaliemo

2003 ION-1 Sedan
2006 ION Red Line

very nice...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-20-2015, 03:09 AM   #13
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Youll be much happier adding the redline s/c set up to it. Youd be damn close to 200whp then.
You can get damn close to 200 hp with a 2.2, some parts, and a time. With a 2.4 some parts and a tune, you should have a good amount more power than a stock lsj, not to mention it should be faster also because of the vvt and NA power band. If you supercharged a 2.4, 350hp is easy.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:20 AM   #14
goaliemo

2003 ION-1 Sedan
2006 ION Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post
You can get damn close to 200 hp with a 2.2, some parts, and a time. With a 2.4 some parts and a tune, you should have a good amount more power than a stock lsj, not to mention it should be faster also because of the vvt and NA power band. If you supercharged a 2.4, 350hp is easy.
I forgot he had the le5 in there.
Thank you for knowing that. Idiots on other sites tend to think that its difficult to be quicker than a stock lsj with an le5. Doesn't really take that much work. Even wanting to stay NA.
Some say 06 and early 07s have forged internals in the le5. How true that is, I don't know.

If I would've known a year ago what I know now, I would've taken an le5 sedan over my redline.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-20-2015, 09:44 AM   #15
Samtherecordman
Advanced Member

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Yes Agreed!

2006–2007
Saturn Ion
175 hp (130 kW) @ 6200 rpm
164 lb·ft (222 N·m) @ 4800 rpm

The LE5 is a larger 2.4 L—2,384 cc (145.5 cu in)—version of the Ecotec. Both the 88 mm (3.5 in) bore and 98 mm (3.9 in) stroke are larger, and Variable Valve Timing on the intake and exhaust improve low-end torque. Compression is 10.4:1. Power is 164–177 hp (123–132 kW) and torque is 159–170 lb·ft (215–230 N·m). The engine uses a reinforced "Gen II" block.

Like 2006 ion2 said, from 175Hp to 200Hp is only 25Hp difference, when you think about it, it does not take major & extensive modification to achieve that.

Love the the new Bigger Gas Pedal Butterfly (TDB)... LoL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-20-2015, 10:06 AM   #16
oxyhydro

2005 ION-3 Quad Coupe

You all think this will work on a 05

support your local 81!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-20-2015, 10:23 AM   #17
Samtherecordman
Advanced Member

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

The main reason I would suggest to NOT supercharged your ride is because fuel economy is going to take a major dump like 10 MPG as opposed to turbocharging for example.

The key difference between a turbocharger and a conventional supercharger is that a supercharger is mechanically driven by the engine, often through a belt connected to the crankshaft, whereas a turbocharger is powered by a turbine driven by the engine's exhaust gas. Compared to a mechanically driven supercharger, turbochargers tend to be more efficient, but less responsive. Twincharger refers to an engine with both a supercharger and a turbocharger.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-20-2015, 10:30 AM   #18
Samtherecordman
Advanced Member

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyhydro View Post
You all think this will work on a 05
Look at what ZZPerformance has to offer. You can always call and ask questions.... http://shop.zzperformance.com/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-20-2015, 01:36 PM   #19
goaliemo

2003 ION-1 Sedan
2006 ION Red Line

In theory I would love to twincharge. But I don't think I can financially afford to do it right now. I have a few turbo parts laying around, and I came up with a somewhat decent way to set it up. But still, at the end of the day, I can turbo swap or upgrade to a tvs 1320 for probably around the same price and get the same numbers.
It would more so be for the cool factor of being able to say I did it.
On the plus side though, a big turbo with no lag sounds wonderful.

I considered testing with the stock supercharger pulley on the LSJ and pushing the cobalt ss/tc k04 to its limits, just as an experiment because it can be had so cheap.
With that, can I hurt the turbo? yes.
Can I destroy the supercharge snout? yes.
Can I pop my motor? yes.

It CAN and HAS been done. It is all in the tune, and how much I can push my motor before it pops.

If someone wants to donate the rest of the parts I need for the turbo, a wideband, and hptuners, I will gladly test it out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!