SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2012, 09:15 AM   #21
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Aftermaket Air Intake for 2.4L Ecotec ???

you have to scare it into puckering... lol. I hope you are just having typos, but to clarify, I don't care about the intake diameter as a whole, only where the MAF sits, and only the inside diameter. you could always go the route I did and get it tuned to use the new intake. it definitely sounds like you have the problem of the MAF tube being the wrong size.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2012, 09:31 AM   #22
Samtherecordman
Advanced Member
Samtherecordman is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post
you have to scare it into puckering... lol. I hope you are just having typos, but to clarify, I don't care about the intake diameter as a whole, only where the MAF sits, and only the inside diameter. you could always go the route I did and get it tuned to use the new intake. it definitely sounds like you have the problem of the MAF tube being the wrong size.
I'm french, typing english....

When you change exhaust system component... you change the back pressure
When you change the intake system component... you change the __________
How would you call that?

This 3" pipe is affecting the amount of air being input into my motor. As well I have a Jet Performance MAF. I did keep the OEM MAF sensor, should be some where, I salvaged the original one.

Saturn Ion 3 Quad Coupe 3 with Sports Appearance package with Aura Pro Bass Shakers under the front seats, Kenwood Excelon Mono Amplifier and Infinity Kappa Perfect and I'm In Heaven!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Samtherecordman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Samtherecordman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Samtherecordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:43 AM   #23
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

damn frenchie, lol, jk. the intake tube doesn't have as much of an effect on the airflow. afaik, there are no "intake pulses" that need to be set up like the exhaust does. but it would be a problem of too much velocity, not enough volume.

back pressure is bad. what you don't want to effect is scavanging in an exhaust.

what happens is the air is metered at the point the MAF sensor is inserted into the intake tube for the purpose of fuel management. it's measured by a little wire that vibrates. if the air is too turbulent, the vibration is too inconsistent to effectively manage the fuel. when the tube is too big, the wire vibrates at the wrong frequency. the computer needs to be taught this new frequency and be taught what it means for airflow so it can put the right amount of fuel into the engine.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-29-2012, 09:57 AM   #24
Samtherecordman
Advanced Member

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
damn frenchie, lol, jk. the intake tube doesn't have as much of an effect on the airflow. afaik, there are no "intake pulses" that need to be set up like the exhaust does. but it would be a problem of too much velocity, not enough volume.

back pressure is bad. what you don't want to effect is scavanging in an exhaust.

what happens is the air is metered at the point the MAF sensor is inserted into the intake tube for the purpose of fuel management. it's measured by a little wire that vibrates. if the air is too turbulent, the vibration is too inconsistent to effectively manage the fuel. when the tube is too big, the wire vibrates at the wrong frequency. the computer needs to be taught this new frequency and be taught what it means for airflow so it can put the right amount of fuel into the engine.
I also have purchase an exact same shape and size K&N Filter Cone that will replace the Cardboard/Paper one that came in the GM Performance Kit. I so believe in K&N Filter much more then any paper filter out there... But I did not try it yet!

Saturn Ion 3 Quad Coupe 3 with Sports Appearance package with Aura Pro Bass Shakers under the front seats, Kenwood Excelon Mono Amplifier and Infinity Kappa Perfect and I'm In Heaven!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Samtherecordman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-29-2012, 10:02 AM   #25
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

K&N are bad filters. the oil coats the wire and makes it read wrong, and can even destroy the sensor. if you run this intake, get an aem dryflow. it's medium gray and cloth. it flows more air than stock, and is washable.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-29-2012, 10:18 AM   #26
Samtherecordman
Advanced Member

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

I'm still stuck with my dilemma of fabricating this air box which will allow to suck cold air from my stock inlet from under the bumper and at the same time have another inlet sealed from the Ram Air Intake under the Hood!!! It will suck air from the stock intake under the bumper and part from the Ram Air Hood which is what I wanted to do in the first place. Knowing there is no such kit out there to realize this, this is GM Performance kit was as close as I could get for a Start.

Should I build this box out of Aluminum at a local shop, build it myself out of Fiberglass or use an existing OEM Air box out of a Junk Yard modifying it to my needs.... ???

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-29-2012, 10:46 AM   #27
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

I would let it suck the air from under the hood. in the winter, the warmer air is an advantage, and in the summer, it's not that much warmer than outside air temperature, only a couple degrees. where you live, the air temperature isn't going to make much of a difference. if you have to do this, I would build the box out of aluminum and seal it around the hole with rtv instead of running a pipe through the hole. this will let you get more air in.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-29-2012, 01:34 PM   #28
SilverSpectre
SilverSpectre is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe
2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samtherecordman View Post
Allright... well after receiving my GM Performance Intake last week, I took out the OEM air box etc. Replaced it with the short ram. The MASS Air Flow sensor fits perfect, the orverflow oil pipe does to, put the filter free to air and started it up. At first the car did not ran great for the first couple seconds and then it adjusted itself.

I when out for test drive and I noticed its hell louder then it used to be, with my Magnaflow Muffler anyhow. The car had almost no Torque power.... and I had to floor the accelerator to the floor to accelerate just a bit. I realize that the box that comes in the kit connects on top of the OEM Air Box in the Cobalt. so it is used in conjunction with the OEM air box. Since the Ion Air Box is not the same as the Cobalt this is where my next challenge stands.

What I will do in a later time is to get an OEM air box from a Junk Ion and modify it. In my case I will put the cone in my OEM box and find a way to suck some air out of the original inlet coming from under the bumper and create another opening that will seal to under my hood where my Ram Air Hood would connect once the hood is closed.

Quiet a challenge under my hand, this might not happen by tomorrow.

So for the time being I put back the intake and the OEM air box as it was, as it worked better that way.
This is very interesting. Almost makes me not want to try this thing out now.

Keep me posted and send some pics so I can get an idea of what I could do to fix these issues if I go ahead with this.

I was also planning on getting the 2.4l intake manifold upgrade as well. Did you ever consider do that too?

2007 Saturn Ion 3 QC - "The Silver Spectre"
Resurrected 12/29/11

OZ Allegerita Wheels, FE5 Suspension w/ adjustable end links, Eibach Pro Kit, Progress Rear Sway Bar, TWM Short Shifter

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SilverSpectre's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SilverSpectre reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SilverSpectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:44 PM   #29
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

WHAT?? You shouldn't try this, it doesn't work. They actually have the 2.4, it sounds like you don't. The only way to fix this is to get the right intake or tune the engine to make it accept the new intake. You<reading.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-29-2012, 01:59 PM   #30
Samtherecordman
Advanced Member

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
WHAT?? You shouldn't try this, it doesn't work. They actually have the 2.4, it sounds like you don't. The only way to fix this is to get the right intake or tune the engine to make it accept the new intake. You<reading.
Its to find out Why it does not work properly.

First i can't hook it up to my OEM Air Box cause it will not fit. So it sucks air directly from under the Hood.

Second I did use MAF sensor which I have had for 3-4 years from Jet Perfromance and always had good results.

Third the Diameter of the Intake Tube is 3" and not what it should be.

All theses are factors.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #31
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

No, air is air. It doesn't matter if it comes from your air box or under the hood. The engine just doesn't care. I'm telling you because I've done this before. The size if the tube where the maf sensor attaches is everything. My car ran just fine with the right diameter tune in my intake. any bigger or smaller and the sensor can't cope. But don't listen to me. You wouldn't be the first person to ruin your engine because you didn't listen. I'm done trying to help you of you won't listen to me, I've done this before. Been there, done that.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-30-2012, 11:31 AM   #32
SilverSpectre

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe
2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
I was talking about the 2.4l manifold upgrade kit (made specifically for 2.2 l engines) INSTEAD of the short ram intake.

Resurrected 12/29/11

OZ Allegerita Wheels, FE5 Suspension w/ adjustable end links, Eibach Pro Kit, Progress Rear Sway Bar, TWM Short Shifter

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SilverSpectre reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-30-2012, 12:30 PM   #33
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

You're clearly completely lost a to what this thread is about. Envied thread is about the 2.4, the 2.2 is a completely different engine

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-30-2012, 02:39 PM   #34
SilverSpectre

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe
2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
You're clearly completely lost a to what this thread is about. Envied thread is about the 2.4, the 2.2 is a completely different engine
Wow. Fail.

Resurrected 12/29/11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-30-2012, 03:45 PM   #35
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Samtherecordman, do you even have a 2.4?

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-30-2012, 04:04 PM   #36
Samtherecordman
Advanced Member

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Samtherecordman, do you even have a 2.4?
it is a 2.4 L engine. yes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-01-2012, 12:15 PM   #37
DigitalSaturns
DigitalSaturns is on a distinguished road

I'm so happy I was able to get a Fujita true CAI for my 2.4L ION before they dissappeared. Five years and not a problem.

Fujita CA 3000 is what it says on the box.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DigitalSaturns's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DigitalSaturns reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DigitalSaturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:25 PM   #38
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

The problem is gm have the ion a smaller maf tube, so the cobalt intake won't work on ions, and visa versa.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-01-2012, 03:18 PM   #39
Samtherecordman
Advanced Member

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Its A Money Gimimicks !!! LMAO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-05-2012, 10:18 AM   #40
Samtherecordman
Advanced Member

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Today I attempted to reinstall my Air Intake this time with the K&N Air Filter Cone at the end of the the Tube.

Well I learned something this time cause the Check Engine Light came on and it given me a Code.

The code was DTC P0171- Fuel Trim System Lean.

What is happening is that I'm entering more air then fuel and the mixture burns lean. This would explain the lack of torque on a earlier try cause the fuel delivery cannot keep up with the amount of air being input.

If I want to keep this setup, what are some of the possibility I could try? Change the Injectors? How would I up the fuel pressure?
You guys know what I mean right?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Sam

REWARD EXCELLENCE!