SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods

Old 03-22-2017, 11:48 AM   #1
Sh1tb0xHero
Sh1tb0xHero is on a distinguished road

1999 SW1
Default Adjustable Lower Control Arms - Sw1

I've been a stalker on this website for a year now, so this is my first thread here. Yay! I've been tinkering on this car for quite a long time and figured I'd do something wild before the engine dies on me.

Recently installed a 2 inch spacer into my sw1 with camber bolts. I went to get the alignment done and the mechanic couldn't get it to stock.

I was wondering if there is anyone in the forums who could enlighten me on where to get some adjustable LCA's. Hopefully my project to turn my wagon into a rally/tool car won't come to an end with this stupid alignment issue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nfh jf.jpg (72.0 KB, 12 views)
Sh1tb0xHero is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2017, 12:41 PM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: Adjustable Lower Control Arms - Sw1

Your nearest welder, probably provided you're willing to sign a "release from liability" type form. The LCA is an integral part of the front suspension, unlike other makes where it just kinda flops about.

Might be able to slot the hole in the knuckle, top one if negative camber is needed and bottom one if positive camber. Probably need to round off the top/bottom corners as well to make room for the rotation. I wouldn't call this idea road legal nor safe so...don't be surprised if the knuckle breaks in to piece's.

You can re-drill the strut mounts on the car to '98-'04 Subaru and bolt in '98-'04 Forester struts. Pretty sure stock Impreza struts would give you a lift, Forester struts are another 2" taller than Impreza (and the fronts are identical other than the ABS cable mount location on the stiffer-springed '00-'04 H6 Outbacks).
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 01:13 PM   #3
Sh1tb0xHero

1999 SW1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
You can re-drill the strut mounts on the car to '98-'04 Subaru and bolt in '98-'04 Forester struts. Pretty sure stock Impreza struts would give you a lift, Forester struts are another 2" taller than Impreza (and the fronts are identical other than the ABS cable mount location on the stiffer-springed '00-'04 H6 Outbacks).
I've already invested on spacers. I had a local machine shop make them for me for a few hundred bucks. I would have gone with the forester struts but wanted a quick solution without drilling holes in the wheel well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
Your nearest welder, probably provided you're willing to sign a "release from liability" type form. The LCA is an integral part of the front suspension, unlike other makes where it just kinda flops about.
I've already considered this option, currently trying to find an off-road mechanic who'd do it. That is the one thing that I don't like about the early Saturn's. LCA connecting to the sway bar and all. As for slotting the knuckle, that is out of the question. Modifications to the knuckle aren't legal in my state as far as I know. Just ordered some camber plates, so gonna see if that will work.

Thank you, if anyone has any other input feel free to post your insight!
Old 03-22-2017, 09:28 PM   #4
Sh1tb0xHero

1999 SW1

I found out why the alignment did not go through. The boneheads at the shop used a 2003 L series as a base model instead of the Sw1. I wish I had looked on the printed out sheet sooner. Hopefully they'll do it correctly this time.

If anyone ever gets an alignment, make sure they use the correct car model.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:49 PM   #5
outsiderX
outsiderX is on a distinguished road

Hope that totally resolves the problem. Update us
outsiderX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:18 PM   #6
Sh1tb0xHero

1999 SW1

I Managed to drill some holes in the struts themselves as well as drill some grooved holes in the plate where the rear LCA's connect to. Camber came in alright!

Now onto bigger tires.
1999 Saturn Sw1 3" lifted 170,000 miles - Gambler Project Car

Tags
alignment, camber, lifted, lower control arm, sw1