SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 06-12-2015, 02:01 PM   #1
dylank
dylank is just really nicedylank is just really nicedylank is just really nicedylank is just really nice

2000 SL2
Default Possible rear suspension issue

So I recently just bought two new tires because my passenger side front tire was worn down quite a bit. It was worn evenly just had 2 or 3/32 less tread than the other front tire. Then while driving for work yesterday as I pulled into a gas station I hear a squealing and kind of grinding. OH NO my breaks need to be replaced again. Well as I pull into the clients parking lot there are several speed bumps and as I go over one I hear what i thought was grinding in the rear end. Anyways, I go to change my pads today but they were fine... So something else is going on. This winter someone slid into my driver side quarter panel cracking the plastic. I didn't think they hit the tire at all as there were no marks and the car has driven fine until now. However now I think perhaps something was bent slightly and has worn out. I can not recreate the sound though. How would I go about diagnosing what the issue is? Any ideas? Below is the damage caused by the hit and run. My car was in great shape besides that. Once I find a gold quarter panel I am gonna replace it. But i am just showing you in case it helps diagnose the issue.

dylank is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2015, 02:07 PM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: Possible rear suspension issue

Jack up that side of the car and wiggle the wheel, possible wheel bearing issue. Also possible the lug nuts just loosened up, though that tends to make a rhythmic thud rather than a squeal. With the tire off the ground you can also check the sway bar end links and feel around for anything loose feeling (other than the rubber brake hose) that might be rubbing.
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a manual
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 05:06 PM   #3
dylank
dylank is just really nicedylank is just really nicedylank is just really nicedylank is just really nice

2000 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
Jack up that side of the car and wiggle the wheel, possible wheel bearing issue. Also possible the lug nuts just loosened up, though that tends to make a rhythmic thud rather than a squeal. With the tire off the ground you can also check the sway bar end links and feel around for anything loose feeling (other than the rubber brake hose) that might be rubbing.
I jacked it up and it turns out my left rear sway bar is broken. You think that could possibly be causing that sound? I am gonna fix it either way just curious
Old 06-12-2015, 11:14 PM   #4
dylank

2000 SL2

I ended up installing the sway bar link with self boring grease fittings. Which the instructions told me to install after the sway bar link was installed. It make it difficult because they were self boring and not already threaded. But I got it installed. I notice a define difference in the ride now, mainly around corners. Stiffer is the only way I can describe it. It was very difficult to get the old bolts off. I had to buy some penetrating oil and use it several times, you also have to use vice scripts or another wrench on the back bolt in order to get it out. 15 year old rusted bolts are a pain But all is well now I think. There is still a quiet sequel but I am thinking that might be the brakes. Strange though because I inspected the pads today and they were prob 75% of normal so I am not sure what is causing that. But I haven/t heard any grinding or clunking from the back so I feel a bit better about my 600 mile drive on Sunday. Thanks again people

Tags
alignment, grinding, rear end, rear suspension