SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2013, 12:25 AM   #1
Homerlasvegas
Homerlasvegas is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
Default Is this cat/flex correct??

Its a magnaflow unit .. I'm most concerned with the end that bolts to the header.. it has small piece of pipe sticking out . is this correct?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Homerlasvegas's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Homerlasvegas reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Homerlasvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2013, 08:19 AM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Is this cat/flex correct??

Yes, fit the gasket around that stub and bolt it all up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:47 AM   #3
Homerlasvegas

1998 SL2

Thanks Nuc . you are a pro ..
-H

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Homerlasvegas reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-06-2013, 05:19 PM   #4
Macgyver
Advanced Member
Macgyver has a spectacular aura aboutMacgyver has a spectacular aura aboutMacgyver has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
2001 SL1

It helps prevent the gasket from sliding off ever so slightly down the road and causing an annoying exhaust leak at the joint. It’s actually a smart design tactic on Magnaflow’s part.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Macgyver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Macgyver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:04 AM   #5
ehunter
ehunter has a spectacular aura aboutehunter has a spectacular aura about

Location: Pacifica by San Francisco – 5sp – Engine rebuild with the help of people here at 177K due to 500mi/qt oil consumption. After 2yrs I am back to 40mpg+ after discovering the refirb head I used was bad. Car runs better than a top. Now at 214k.

1996 SL2

Isn't this related to that P0420 thread? Try keep all related stuff together if you can. It will be easier for the community here to follow the chain of events.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ehunter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ehunter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:08 AM   #6
Homerlasvegas

1998 SL2

I will keep it together in the future. As it turns out. The weld is incorrect .. You may not be able to tell it from the picture.. But the plate is welded at an angle to the pipe.. on one side the pipe is flush or lower . the other side it is over .. It does not bolt up . when I put it on . the unit is about 3 to 4 inches to the passenger side of the bracket at the lower part of the engine.. I hope I don't have problems..

-H

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-07-2013, 07:01 AM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

How about posting the year and model of your car into the profile. There are fit issues with these aftermarket parts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-07-2013, 11:42 AM   #8
Macgyver
Advanced Member
Macgyver has a spectacular aura aboutMacgyver has a spectacular aura aboutMacgyver has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
2001 SL1

You probably bought the wrong pipe if the flange doesn’t line up. The SOHC and DOHC have the same flange, but the threaded studs are at different angles. I’m not sure why they did that, but their downpipes are not interchangeable.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Macgyver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-07-2013, 01:48 PM   #9
Homerlasvegas

1998 SL2

98 SL2 DOHC.

If I look at the flange . It is flush on side and the pipe extrudes about 1/4 inch on the other side. The Magnaflow site shows that the .. pipe should be even coming out. I would have assumed a "MAGNAFLOW" would be straight forward.. Thats not a knock off or cheap part ??????????????

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-07-2013, 02:27 PM   #10
Macgyver
Advanced Member

1995 SC2
2001 SL1

If you want the pipe completely flush against the flange, you’ll want to hit it with a grinder. If you don’t have a bench grinder, you can file it down by hand. Magnaflow makes good products. It looks like the entire assembly is stainless steel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-07-2013, 02:40 PM   #11
Homerlasvegas

1998 SL2

from everything i am seeing .. I truly believe the part was built wrong.. its the right number. See this link on the Magnaflow site.

http://www.magnaflow.com/02catalytic...irectfit=23956

If you look at the picture it shows the pipe coming out evenly.. The one I recieved is NOT even. one side is flush . other side is extruding...

I am waiting to hear back from the vendor...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-07-2013, 05:05 PM   #12
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Do you have 49 state emissions or are you blessed with a preCAT?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-07-2013, 11:43 PM   #13
Homerlasvegas

1998 SL2

The system is a 49 state exhaust.

BTW, Upon removal of the old exhaust (it came apart quite easily), I found that the gasket at the manifold was leaking and that NO gasket exhisting between the cat and the back pipe. I was half way hoping putting the old unit back on would take care of my P0420... No Luck . . .I really think that the welder simply had a bad day or had wrong info on the weld geometry. I am waitng to here back from PerfromancePeddler.com on this. They had to contact Magnaflow. I am hoping i can get this corrected soon..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-08-2013, 07:48 AM   #14
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The gasket behind the cat has no bad effect if missing other than a leak. The leak at the front pipe is why the cat is dead though. Long term an exhaust leak between the head and CAT destroys the CAT.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-08-2013, 10:18 AM   #15
Homerlasvegas

1998 SL2

Update, Just spoke with the folks at Magnaflow. They say it was definitely wrong. They are issueing a warranty return.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!