SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2013, 07:48 PM   #1
spacemanspif
Advanced Member
spacemanspif will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2
Default Starting/thrust bearing

I can't remember where and when I read it but I seem to remember that starting the car by pushing in the clutch wears the thrust bearing faster that if the safety switch is bypassed and the car is started in neutral with the clutch engaged.

I'm looking for extra info on this because I haven't found much using the search for the last 45min.

So, is it better to start the car with the clutch pushed to the floor or in the "up" position?

I'm the only one that drives my car and its always parked in neutral, I'm aware of the dangers of starting a car in gear, just looking for info. on what will help prolong the life of my powertrain.

Thanks,

-Mike

1995 SL2 5spd - Stock/MP2 trans swap - 258,XXX miles - 38mpg @ 65mph
1987 Monte Carlo SS - 5.3/4L80E swap - 13.92@103mph - 19mpg @65mph - needs POSI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spacemanspif's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spacemanspif reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spacemanspif is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #2
anmasher
anmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1996 SL2
Default Re: Starting/thrust bearing

I would tend to agree with that somewhat. It is probably not a big deal if you immediately release the clutch, then again, it is totally unnecessary wear...

Disabling the "safety" switch is high up on my priority list. Being able to push a car with the starter isn't a terrible thing, either. Starting in neutral will add a little extra load to the starter, but probably not enough to notably shorten its life.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to anmasher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help anmasher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
anmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:39 PM   #3
anmasher
anmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1996 SL2

A single ~1.5" piece of 14 AWG wire makes a perfect jumper for that connector. Use shielded wire so it doesn't accidentally short out to ground anywhere.

I noticed.... no difference at all in starting performance, but it certainly can't hurt.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to anmasher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help anmasher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
anmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:10 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The manual clutch switch is a government requirement to prevent inadvertent of cleaning up the gene pool. It may be bypassed if you want. Keep in mind that if you crank the car when it is in gear it will almost always start.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:11 PM   #5
spacemanspif
Advanced Member

1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmasher View Post
A single ~1.5" piece of 14 AWG wire makes a perfect jumper for that connector. Use shielded wire so it doesn't accidentally short out to ground anywhere.

I noticed.... no difference at all in starting performance, but it certainly can't hurt.
I bent up a paperclip that fit into each part of the plug and fit flush just to try it out and make sure I knew how to bypass it. It worked so I just taped over it and around to make sure the tape don't come off.

Most interested it what method is better for the powertrain...

-Mike

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help spacemanspif reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-07-2013, 09:12 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

If you have synthetic oil in the trans it is much better to fire it up with your foot off the clutch.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:17 PM   #7
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

How about a momentary contact switch?
Then, you (or someone else) would have to consciously bypass the clutch safety switch each time.

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 12 stalls to date (and loving it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:19 PM   #8
spacemanspif
Advanced Member

1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
If you have synthetic oil in the trans it is much better to fire it up with your foot off the clutch.
Thanks OldNuc, I was hoping you'd chime in. Right now I have Dex3 in my new MP2 but that was only to make sure that it was going to get me down the road. With a couple thousand miles on it now I'll be putting Mobil1 in it like my old trans had.

-Mike

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-07-2013, 10:20 PM   #9
spacemanspif
Advanced Member

1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpdraft View Post
How about a momentary contact switch?
Then, you (or someone else) would have to consciously bypass the clutch safety switch each time.
That is some good thinking Bumpdraft. I think I might give something like that a try, near the shifter to remind me that I need to be in neutral just in case I park it in gear for some random reason...

-Mike

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-08-2013, 10:37 AM   #10
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Let us know how it turns out.
Foot off the clutch sounds like a good idea.

I knew a lady with a Jeep and it could be started in gear...Usually somewhere like a sloping parking garage space makes your heart skip a beat!

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 12 stalls to date (and loving it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote