SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2010, 03:47 PM   #1
luckyjewelz55
luckyjewelz55 is on a distinguished road

Dizzy 2002 Saturn Vue - TONS of Issues!! HELP!

I bought my 2002 Saturn Vue AWD 6-cylinder car just over a year ago, and have since had NOTHING but problems with it. I have brought it back to the Dealership where I bought it (Milosch Dodge in Lake Orion - DON'T GO THERE!!!) over 14 times now, and I've taken it to a Saturn Dealership in Sterling Heights, and no one can seem to figure out how to fix the various issues with my car. I have given up taking it anywhere, but since my boyfriend is an engineer at GM, he has tried to fix it several times. I'm still having issues though, and would appreciate ANY help I can get from this forum... :-)

Here's what's wrong with my car:

1.) The coolant fluid light comes on for at least a minute, but sometimes longer, upon starting my car. Then, it decides to turn off once I start driving.
2.) The change oil light comes on for about 30 seconds every time I start my car, but I assume that's just something that needs to be reset, seeing as how I just had my oil changed.
3.) Upon starting my car, a MASSIVE, and I do mean MASSIVE amount of blueish colored smoke comes out of my exhaust pipe. This is one of the main things bugging me, and I've heard a number of different reasons as to why this could be happening, from "it's because the head gasket is about to go", to "your gas is mixing with water in your engine", etc. I just want to know why it blows that much smoke out, and then goes away once I start driving, and how on Earth do I fix it?? :-(
4.) My other main concern is that my car makes a REALLY loud droning noise once I begin to drive. It gets worse as I accelerate, it seems, but then once I'm going over like 70 miles an hour, it seems to not do it as much. People have said it's my muffler making the noise (but I got a new muffler about 5 months ago when I got my 100,000 mile service with Saturn), or they've said it might be my wheel bearings making the horrible noise. Does anyone have any idea what it might be? Also, my car sometimes feels as though it's going to stall when I'm coming to a stop, or accelerating after being at a stop light, and I, myself, have thought that it might be the throttle body, since I've heard that 2002 Saturn Vue's have throttle body issues. If anyone can help me out here, I'd appreciate it.
5.) My A/C comes and goes intermittently. It seems like when I'm going faster than 50 MPH, it stays on more steadily, but all bets are off if I'm stopped in traffic or going slow. Also, sometimes the passenger side floor mat will be SOAKED, so I'm not sure if my A/C has a leak or something, or what the case is there. Any guesses?
6.) My CD player sometimes just decides not to work. And it sometimes looks like the CD itself has condensation on it for some reason. I'm wondering if this is in any way related to the problem I'm having with my A/C??
7.) My back door doesn't want to automatically open anymore. If I don't push it up while it's opening, it'll just stop halfway. It's kind of hard to open it up with a bunch of groceries in my hand, so that's just really annoying too. :-(

Those are the issues that I'm having with my Saturn right now, and since I'm trying to sell it so that I don't have to deal with the POS anymore, I would LOVE any feedback I can get about how to fix these issues so I can actually sell it to someone. Please, please, please help me!! :-)

Thank you!
Julie

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to luckyjewelz55's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help luckyjewelz55 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
luckyjewelz55 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2010, 05:20 PM   #2
tiger862
tiger862 will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: 2002 Saturn Vue - TONS of Issues!! HELP!

Here are a few answers that it could be.
1. Droning Center bearing.
2. Smokes can be either valve stem seals or sludge.
3. AC is probably a leak in system. This will cause evaporator to freeze up thus causing box to freeze under dash.
4. See AC for water getting on passenger floorboard or a stop up drain tube.
5. CD moisture could also be AC
6. Stalling is probably dirty throttle body or weak rings from motor being worn out or plugs fouled. See line 2.
7. Struts on rear door are more than likely the culprit for door not opening.

Wish you the best sounds like you got a rotten deal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tiger862's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tiger862 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tiger862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:03 PM   #3
chillin05VUE
chillin05VUE is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

Whoever had it before you probably didn't do any maintainence on it. They drove it until it needed major work and then they traded it in. I believe that's what happened with mine. Had low miles on it when the previous owner traded it in. Found out it needed a new RDM and it was just out of warranty by 8 months. With yours, they didn't want to pay to have it it fixed, so they got rid of it. And you got their nightmare.

"Remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

2005 VUE V6 AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chillin05VUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chillin05VUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chillin05VUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:24 AM   #4
mrtube
Advanced Member
mrtube is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

blue smoke on startup is almost always worn valve seals or valve stems. Almost every mechanic and backyard mechanic has known this pretty much since overhead valves were invented. Its usually more embarrassing then anything. and usually doesn't hurt anything other then the environment. Just don't run it low on oil.

I'm curious what kind/type of engineer your boyfriend is for GM? What does he do for them?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mrtube's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mrtube reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mrtube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 12:41 PM   #5
gptunah
gptunah is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L

Had that "Blue Smoke" thing with an older car and it turned out to be plugged oil return lines (the oil that lubes the upper part of the engine needs a way to get back to the oil-pump to be filtered then recycled). The valve cover gaskets will probably need to be replaced anyway, so just make sure the oil return lines are open and that oil will drain down from there. When they are blocked (or partially blocked), and the engine has high mileage, the oil will have time to seep through the worn valve seals into the combustion chamber. This will cause the blue smoke, until it burns off.

Good luck with your Vue. They need a lot of attention, repairs, and maintenence to keep them running, at least mine does, and there are many posts to read on this forum. The challange is great but i like the way it handles and performs when its free of problems. Winter driving is a lot more fun and it goes anywhere i want to go. i've also made too big of an investment to let it go now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gptunah's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gptunah reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gptunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 12:44 PM   #6
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger862 View Post
Here are a few answers that it could be.
1. Droning Center bearing.
2. Smokes can be either valve stem seals or sludge.
3. AC is probably a leak in system. This will cause evaporator to freeze up thus causing box to freeze under dash.
4. See AC for water getting on passenger floorboard or a stop up drain tube.
5. CD moisture could also be AC
6. Stalling is probably dirty throttle body or weak rings from motor being worn out or plugs fouled. See line 2.
7. Struts on rear door are more than likely the culprit for door not opening.

Wish you the best sounds like you got a rotten deal.
Some of your numbered responses don't match up to well to the question numbers.

1- the coolant level sensor could be stuck or going bad. I'm not sure where it is on that motor. It's probably integrated into the coolant expansion tank. You might be able to remove the tank, drain it, clean it out and that might solve the problem.

2- the OLM (oil life monitor) needs to be reset. Simply changing the oil does nothing to the light. The OLM doesn't actually sample the oil to determine if it's good or bad- it just uses an algorithm to determine it. Refer to your manual for the procedure.

3- valve stem seals. All the responses from your friends are just plain dumb. How do you fix it? Rebuild the head. Do you need to fix it? Not really. Just keep tabs on the oil level and don't let it get too low.

4- the droning is either wheel bearings or most likely the rear drive shaft center carrier bearing. As for the stalling, I don't know.

5- ?

6- ?

7- The lift struts are bad. Easy to replace. Get them from an autoparts store or rockauto.com. The dealer prices for these are roughly twice what it will cost at an autopart store.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 04:53 PM   #7
chillin05VUE
chillin05VUE is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom92SCm View Post
Some of your numbered responses don't match up to well to the question numbers.

1- the coolant level sensor could be stuck or going bad. I'm not sure where it is on that motor. It's probably integrated into the coolant expansion tank. You might be able to remove the tank, drain it, clean it out and that might solve the problem.

2- the OLM (oil life monitor) needs to be reset. Simply changing the oil does nothing to the light. The OLM doesn't actually sample the oil to determine if it's good or bad- it just uses an algorithm to determine it. Refer to your manual for the procedure.

3- valve stem seals. All the responses from your friends are just plain dumb. How do you fix it? Rebuild the head. Do you need to fix it? Not really. Just keep tabs on the oil level and don't let it get too low.

4- the droning is either wheel bearings or most likely the rear drive shaft center carrier bearing. As for the stalling, I don't know.

5- ?

6- ?

7- The lift struts are bad. Easy to replace. Get them from an autoparts store or rockauto.com. The dealer prices for these are roughly twice what it will cost at an autopart store.
And remember, you did buy a USED car. Not everyone babys their VUE like me and probably others here. Some and not mentioning any names, take theirs really off-roading in JEEP country and post videos for us to get jealous over (just kidding) and others, like my Mrs., just drive cars until they die without so much as changing the oil. So, without knowing the whole history of your VUE, you don't know how it was treated. And from the sounds of things, it wasn't treated very good.

I'm curious, did you take this vehicle to a good mechanic for a going over before you bought it? It seems like a good shop would have found these problems before you bought. One thing I always tell people, spend $100 and get the vehicle checked BEFORE forking over $1000- $100,000.

I've seen it before where someone is selling a vehicle and tells the buyer "this vehicle has never been in an accident and the engine runs like new" only to find that the vehicle was once 2 different cars and it runs like new because they pour thicker oil into the engine to quiet the knocking.

Rereading your post, problem #5: Have you checked your cabin airfilter? It may be clogged up and the force at 50 is helping the air move through but at lower speeds, the force is not as great. Problem #6: Maybe time for a new radio. Go to crutchfield.com and select from their assortment. They'll send you everything needed to do the install right and they offer free shipping.

"Remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

2005 VUE V6 AWD

Last edited by chillin05VUE; 10-02-2010 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: Problems 5 and 6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chillin05VUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chillin05VUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chillin05VUE is offline   Reply With Quote