SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2010, 07:42 AM   #1
manualman
manualman is on a distinguished road

1995 SL
Default Engine ticking noise

First the symptoms and history:
2002 SL, 121k miles. Power is normal for a SOHC and gas mileage is superb (37-38mpg in my suburban chicago typical commute).
The engine makes an an alarmingly loud ticking noise from about 1700rpms to about 2100 rpms especially. It's actually worst when the engine is fully warmed up. It has only gotten very slightly worse in the last 20,000 miles of driving. About a year ago, I convinced myself it was the timing chain and replaced it. The chain WAS at full tensioner extension, and replacing the whole timing set eliminated A faint noise, but had no effect on THIS one. I did the oil pump while I was in there too (cheap), but the old one turned out to be fine anyways. Nothing in the oily area looked TOO bad. A fair amount of varnish and a very small amount of scorched looking buildup on exhaust rocker arm #2, but no sludge balls or other scorched oil buildup.

The serp belt appeared original and i didn't like my odds on the idler pulley, so I replaced the belt, idler, serp tensioner and water pump (since I was in there and had no idea of pre-98k maintenance history on the car). No effect on the noise.

At this point, I think it is lifters. Shouldn't a lifter problem be most noticeable at idle when oil pressure is the lowest? I hear nothing unusual (it's a Saturn!) until 1700 rpms or so. The clicking DOES seem to be at a rate about half of engine rpms, so that would be consistent with lifters (a swag since I obviously can't count that fast). The noise recedes past 2100 rpms or so (or at least is drowned out in more typical Saturn thrashy noises).

So please comment on my next battle plan. First, how does one check oil pressure on these cars? I've never done it on any, so I imagine I have a gage to buy and a port to locate somewhere (where?). If my pressure seems OK (ruling out excessive main bearing wear), I guess I need to take the valve cover off again and have a closer look at the lifters. What am I looking for? Rock Auto has a "Rock Products" lifter right now for $13 each. Anybody know if these are decent products? Seems too good to be true when the other aftermarket brands are more like $30 and up. If OK, it might be worth it to me to just buy 8 new ones. I really don't feel like doing this twice, so do you think it would be worth it to have a spare rocker arm on hand? Rock doesn't list these and OEM would be ~$50 with shipping.

How are Saturn valve guide seals? Since I'm in there is it worth my while to replace those while I'm at it or do they often last 200k (the car DOES burn 1qt/1,200 miles)? What else should I keep my eyes on?

The car DID have the typical third gen intake manifold gasket issue that i recently recognized and fixed. The OEM gasket appears to have been flapping in the breeze of the #1 intake passage for 100k+ miles. Seems like that would make things lean at idle and rich at high throttle. Any increased chance this might have toasted a valve on me?

Thanks for any input!

Last edited by manualman; 09-09-2010 at 07:49 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to manualman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help manualman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
manualman is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2010, 09:03 AM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Engine ticking noise

Remove the belt and from a cold start run the RPM up and see if the noise goes away. You have a bit less than 3 minutes before you are going to over heat the engine.

This is the only way to isolate the source.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:31 PM   #3
manualman

1995 SL

Having once owned a 95 SOHC that suffered a cracked head, I'm rather gunshy about running without a water pump for even 3 minutes.

But I have tried pulling the belt from a warm engine for 30 seconds or so and the noise is unchanged. It's NOT a belt driven accessory. I should have mentioned that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help manualman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-09-2010, 09:32 PM   #4
off-track
Master Member
off-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Have you tried using a stethoscope to see if you can localize the noise? Since you've already replaced the TC I'm leaning towards a collapsed/stuck lifter as well? Another member suggested that the valve seals are a weak point as well (his words). Maybe a re-man head from Clearwater would be the best move?

FWIW, my rebuild experience was that several lifters stuck/collapsed, the valves were cupped and the springs were at/out of service limits. That was a "strictly to spec" evaluation though..

1997 - SL2, barebones, 161k, Auto - Rebuild complete and.. burnt a valve 20k later Arrgh!
Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to off-track's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help off-track reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
off-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:44 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

You can use a screwdriver as a stethoscope to locate the noise. Valve seals do not cause noise whatever condition they are in. Clogged lifters do though.

Springs break from winding an engine up to the point it whistles.

There are rocker shafts in a SOHC that break and that causes noise. there are also 2 lifter guides that get out of position and then you get noise. So the thing to do is try and isolate the noise to a intake side/exhaust side and cylinder.

If it is a stuck lifter check valve they can be disassembled and cleaned.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-09-2010, 10:24 PM   #6
off-track
Master Member
off-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

HF, $3.28 for a steth with the "sale price" and a 20% off coupon from the Sunday paper. It works MUCH better than a screwdriver (but that will also do in a pinch).

1997 - SL2, barebones, 161k, Auto - Rebuild complete and.. burnt a valve 20k later Arrgh!
Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to off-track's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help off-track reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
off-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:17 PM   #7
manualman

1995 SL

The really frustrating thing is that I just can't seem to localize the noise. Neither screwdriver nor doctor's stethoscope seems to help. All points on the valve cover sound the same (slightly ticky, but not THE source I'm searching for).

Pulling the valve cover doesn't scare me, but is it likely I could ID a bad lifter or rocker by appearance if I can't find it by noise?

Any chance a clutch issue could make clicky ticky noises? The clutch engagement is definately not as smooth as my last Saturn was. Grabby and chattery if you don't feather it JUST right. Could a worn or bent pressure plate finger make odd noises like this? (I've never opened up a clutch, but till now assumed it wasn't clutch related since the noise is the same whether I rev to 1800 in neutral with foot off the gas, have it in gear at 1800 with foot off the clutch pedal or rev it to 1800 with foot ON the clutch pedal. I figured that a clutch issue would make different sounds in those different scenarios)

I'm no expert, but it wouldn't be a rod knock, could it? It's more of a clicking/ticking than something I would call a knock, but I've never heard a rod knock. What's that sound like?

Last edited by manualman; 09-09-2010 at 11:24 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-10-2010, 10:20 AM   #8
Sciroccoboi
Sciroccoboi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by manualman View Post
The really frustrating thing is that I just can't seem to localize the noise. Neither screwdriver nor doctor's stethoscope seems to help. All points on the valve cover sound the same (slightly ticky, but not THE source I'm searching for).

Pulling the valve cover doesn't scare me, but is it likely I could ID a bad lifter or rocker by appearance if I can't find it by noise?

Any chance a clutch issue could make clicky ticky noises? The clutch engagement is definately not as smooth as my last Saturn was. Grabby and chattery if you don't feather it JUST right. Could a worn or bent pressure plate finger make odd noises like this? (I've never opened up a clutch, but till now assumed it wasn't clutch related since the noise is the same whether I rev to 1800 in neutral with foot off the gas, have it in gear at 1800 with foot off the clutch pedal or rev it to 1800 with foot ON the clutch pedal. I figured that a clutch issue would make different sounds in those different scenarios)

I'm no expert, but it wouldn't be a rod knock, could it? It's more of a clicking/ticking than something I would call a knock, but I've never heard a rod knock. What's that sound like?
Rod knocks are dull hollow sounding like a woodpecker and (usually) get much much louder as RPM's increase.

Have you checked your exhaust manifold for cracks?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sciroccoboi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sciroccoboi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sciroccoboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:36 AM   #9
OldNuc

1998 SC2

When you place a screwdriver or scope on the valve cover or the valve cover studs and the noise is not much louder then it is not originating from the valves or valve gear. You can probe along the lower regions of the block to listen for bearing knocks. Probe up higher for wrist pin knocks and piston slap.

Probe back on the bell housing and the front of teh transmission. If it is the clutch you will hear it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-12-2010, 12:09 AM   #10
manualman

1995 SL

UPDATE

I couldn't localize the noise with the stethoscope, but it sure sounded like a lifter issue to my (admittedly untrained) ear.

So I pulled the valve cover and rocker arm shafts to have a look. Intake rocker arm #1 was quite chewed up on the under side where it had been hitting the lifter guide plate. (There's my noise!) This can only happen if the lifter is not extended properly, I decided to disassemble and clean my lifters. Sure enough, intake #1 lifter was seized up. Took an hour to get the thing apart. Check valve works fine, but the inner bucket was seized in place. I cleaned it up the best i could for now and will order a new one (since the clearances on this one just seem too tight.

Anybody used the cheap $13 lifter Rock Products? Why so cheap?

Maybe this is why the car has been making so much exhaust soot too? Inadequate intake valve opening would make a rich condition, right?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-12-2010, 08:44 AM   #11
OldNuc

1998 SC2

You found the problem. Go to the J/Y and salvage a hand full of parts from a dead engine. They are cheap and you want to replace the lifter, guide plate, rocker, and possibly the shaft. Use Berrymans carb cleaner in the gallon can to soak the used parts in to clean them up. They will com out looking like new.

Cheap aftermarket parts tend to be of loose tolerance and may or may not function correctly. Used OEM is better. And that may very well have been the cause of the additional soot.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-12-2010, 12:44 PM   #12
manualman

1995 SL

Do new/cleaned up lifters need pumping up manually before installation or will they prime themselves?

Any suggestions for online junkyards in case I can't find a handy U-pull with a SOHC? Did all years SOHCs have roller lifters or was that a late build mod?

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-14-2010, 01:46 PM   #13
manualman

1995 SL

Update:

My old lifter cleanup job did NOT resolve the ticking. Must be a bad lifter somehow.

Victory Auto Wreckers in Bensenville, IL was the ticket for me - barely. Seems they have few to zero wrecks and only get cars from people faced with more repairs than the car is worth. They had ONE SOHC (looked like a third gen exterior, but still the rear defrost button on top of the interior center pod - that's 1999, right?). The engine was fairly blackened inside, but (as usual for SOHC) the #4 rockers were nice and clean and #3 were marginally OK. I bagged the right 4 lifters, 3 rockers (only one of mine looks chewed up, but might as well have spares!), a lifter guide plate, a rocker shaft and, while I was at it, the vacuum line for the air pump (mine is busted and taped back together). $20. LOVE it!

Next up, find some of this Berryman's carb cleaner in the 1 gallon bucket and clean these babies up.

Still wondering, should I be able to pump a good lifter (submerged in clean oil) by hand until it hardens up if it is good? Basically I'm wondering if there is a way to tell a good one from a bad one before re-assembly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-14-2010, 02:01 PM   #14
OldNuc

1998 SC2

There is a check ball in the lifter. If it is solid and extended then the ball is holding. If it is springy it has air in ti but holding and if it is collapsed you have no idea. Pull them apart and soak them till clean. Any parts store has the Berrymans carb cleaner. Comes in a gallon can or a 5 gallon can. All you need is the gallon.

The roller is standard, one size fits all 91-02.

This is DOHC but you get the idea. http://www.differentracing.com/tech_...es/lifter.html They can be difficult to get apart.

After cleaning fill the non ball end about 1/2 full of 15w-40 oil and assemble. The valve spring and cam will squeeze out the air if you let it set for a while and when you start it up the racket will not be deafening. they eventually fill with engine oil as there is a pressure feed to each lifter.

Is the Atomic Junk Yard still on the far south side? They used to have several of everything.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-14-2010, 05:03 PM   #15
manualman

1995 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Is the Atomic Junk Yard still on the far south side? They used to have several of everything.
This is my first visit to a junkyard, so I'm not sure what else is out there. I AM sure that I was the only guy in office clothes there at lunch hour pulling internal engine parts. The counter guy looked at me, then did a double take looking at the engine parts. "How'd you get these and not get dirty?" Gotta love Saturns (even when they're broken).

They had a second gen SL2 with an armrest that looked like it had just come in. I know those are rare out there!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-14-2010, 07:01 PM   #16
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Should have told him you have an advanced degree in telekinesis.

The last time I was there it was still in existence but that was about 25 years ago.

Atomic Auto Recycling Inc
3001 S Kedzie Ave, Chicago, IL 60623
(773) 847-0400

the Internet knows all....

Last edited by OldNuc; 09-14-2010 at 07:09 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-16-2010, 09:33 AM   #17
manualman

1995 SL

More Mystery, Drama and Tragedy:

So I swapped out my old rocker arms, lifters, shaft and lifter guide plate and reassemble. Doggonit, the new rocker arms STILL hits the guide plate! The lifter is pumped up nice and firm, so I no longer think it is a bad lifter to blame. Something about this head just seems to be a little off. The rocker arm shaft is just fractionally too close to the lifters.

I decided to play around with various combinations to see if maybe there was variation in the rocker arm thickness to blame. Nope. My last idea was to take my spare lifter guide plate and grind off some of the steel along the outside edge to increase the clearance to the rocker. This piece isn't subjected to real loads, so I figured it had a milimeter of steel to spare and stay structurally sound enough to do its job (prevent the roller lifters from turning in their bores).

By now I had installed and removed the rocker shaft about 5 times, it's past midnight and I have no way to work the next morning if I don't finish. I should have known better. I clipped the rocker shaft to the spring that holds down the guide plate, aligned the rockers and holes and proceeded to install the rocker arm shaft bolts. Snugged them all up gently, got the torque wrench and gradually started tightening things. Spec is 19 ft-lbs. At about 15#ft on the bolt between #1 and #2 intake rockers I feel that horrible CRUNCH. Doh! I had carelessly allowed the guide plate spring clip to be between the rocker shaft and the precision fitted aluminum rocker shaft seat cast into the head. The pressure from the bolt pulling the now too wide shaft down into the seat split the aluminum casting right through the bolt hole.

Amazingly, I did not curse, puke or pee my pants. Too shocked. Removed the shaft and that bolt hole is hopeless, a whole chunk of head casting snapped right off at the rocker arm seat. Stunned silence....

I cleaned the wreckage out and got to thinking. No way to repair it, the only RIGHT thing to do is go buy a new head. On the other hand, there ARE still 4 perfectly good bolts left to hold this thing on.... What the heck. Bolted the rest up, finished up and went to bed (fitfully).

It fired right up this morning and ran normally (still with that faint 'tink' as the rocker still taps the now 1 mm smaller guide plate). But now the rocker shaft span between bolts is TWICE as long as Saturn intended. That ain't good. Nothing failed on the drive into work, so my interim plan is to impose a self limited 3,000 rpm redline and start saving my pennies for a cylinder head. Or if I get another 20k miles out of this cripple (making 145k), I'll just call it quits when the shaft lets go and sell it as a "mechanic's special." How long you think I got before the shaft fatigues and snaps?

Moral of the story: Quit working at midnight and don't get sloppy just because you've now done something 3-4 times and pulled it off. Never did figure out how that rocker could be tapping the guide plate. Must be a deformed head to begin with.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-16-2010, 10:01 AM   #18
OldNuc

1998 SC2

There is a design change in the SOHC head in mid 2000. This may be the actual cause of your problems. I would think finding a good used head would not be real difficult or expensive.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!