SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2005, 04:24 AM   #1
bobbyrae
bobbyrae has a spectacular aura aboutbobbyrae has a spectacular aura about

1993 SL2
Default How to identify the specific models: SL, SL1, SL2??

I have searched and couldn't find a thread on this, but I would guess there is one somewhere. I am asking since I am in the market for one of these cars and have gotten a bit confused as to how to differentiate a SL from a SL1 from a SL2.

I am also asking because it seems strange that they put no badges on the cars the way Honda will put DX, LX, EX so we know the trim levels. And sometimes owners and dealers really don't know what model they are selling! They will call it an SL when it is really an SL2, etc.

So far, I can see that the SL2 has the DOHC engine, painted bumpers, a big reflector across the trunk, and usually alloy wheels, while the SL1 has the SOHC engine, dark gray bumpers and wheel covers. But what about that base SL model? And are there any other differences?

Thanks!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bobbyrae's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bobbyrae reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bobbyrae is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2005, 07:12 AM   #2
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: How to identify the specific models: SL, SL1, SL2??

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyrae
....while the SL1 has the SOHC engine, dark gray bumpers and wheel covers. But what about that base SL model? And are there any other differences?

Thanks!!
You're correct on your SL2 vs SL1. For the SL, take an SL1 and remove the power steering, passenger side mirror and power windows and locks. It's possible that a base model SL only comes with a manual transmission.

--Tom

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 09:40 PM   #3
steve-o
steve-o is on a distinguished road

1996 SL
2000 SL1

sl has optional power steering and optional air conditioning, auto trans not an option. black bumpers standard.
sl1 supposedly came with nicer interior, but my 96sl has cloth on doors and more comfortable seats than wife's 00 sl1.

mine came with pass. mirror, a/c (not working), manual trans, and am/fm/cass.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to steve-o's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help steve-o reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
steve-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 09:45 PM   #4
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

get the vehicle identification number (VIN) and have a Saturn retailer look up the model information for you.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 11:21 PM   #5
paulygon
paulygon is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

my friend has a manual sl2, same year as mine, without alloy rims, power locks or fogs. before his i didnt know there was a lot difference in trim you could get at the sl2 level, i knew leather and roof was an option, but power locks?? it also didnt have a tape deck, just a tuner. i gave my tape deck to him and got an aftermarket mp3cd player. i would assume his speakers aren't the premium ones either...mine were, but the two in the back were blown so i took them all out.

i would never buy a s-series if it wasn't a "2". i know the sohc gets better mileage, but i just dont think i would be able to stand the interior or even the non-matching bumpers.

apparently there's also a "homecoming edition" of sorts? whats the dif between the loaded up sl2 like mine (leather, sun, fogs, power everything) and the homecoming edition?

Paul H
My car and I have started to look like each other

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to paulygon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help paulygon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
paulygon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 12:30 AM   #6
Token
Advanced Member
Token is on a distinguished road

1994 SW2

The easiest way to distinguish between these models is to open the hood.

"Some days your the dog, some days your the hydrant."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Token's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Token reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Token is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 12:31 PM   #7
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRic 02sc2
get the vehicle identification number (VIN) and have a Saturn retailer look up the model information for you.
Or save yourself a trip and look here:

http://www.differentracing.com/tech_...in_decode.html

The fifth digit tells exactly what trim level it is.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 01:47 PM   #8
ASE_Tek0312
ASE_Tek0312 is on a distinguished road

The SL2 has an MP3 transmission that is built for the DOHC engine power band and the SL1 has an MP2 transmission that has the gear ratios set up for the SOHC power band. The DOHC redline is 6500 and the SOHC redline is 5500. The DOHC is rated at 124 HP and the SOHC is rated at 100 HP. Early SOHC (1st gen) were TBI and rated at 85 HP. The SL2 bumpers have holes for foglamps. ummm thats all I can think of...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ASE_Tek0312's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ASE_Tek0312 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ASE_Tek0312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 09:22 PM   #9
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

I am also asking because it seems strange that they put no badges on the cars the way Honda will put DX, LX, EX so we know the trim levels.
Thanks!!
badges? we don't need no stinking badges!

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 06:35 AM   #10
Satman
Satman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRic 02sc2
badges? we don't need no stinking badges!
Yes, we do need badges. I can't tell what I'm driving.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Satman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Satman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Satman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 09:58 AM   #11
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satman
Yes, we do need badges. I can't tell what I'm driving.
Do you put your name on your underwear so you dont forget your name too?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-09-2005, 09:14 PM   #12
JADEDSL2
JADEDSL2 will become famous soon enough

Location: Sullivan, Missouri, USA, North America, Northern West Hemisphere, Earth, Solar System, Left Galactic Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Galactic Cluster, Universe

1993 SL2
1991 SL2

Poor rookie. Learn a little about your car to know what you're driving. It's more interesting having to do homework on the car anyway. That way at least you know what you have under the hood. I ran into a guy the other day who was driving a 98 Jeep Wrangler. (I work for a Chrysler dealership) I asked him what engine he had in order to look him up a part, and he told me, "I think it's a v-8." I wanted to smack him for being an idiot, and not knowing about his own vehicle. Moral is, learn about your own car.

"1G8ZJ5472MZ134321"-my Jaded, I will never forget.
"1G8ZF5594PZ249184"-Trinity, for three are now one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JADEDSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JADEDSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JADEDSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 12:55 AM   #13
JS593
JS593 is on a distinguished road

1992 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JADEDSL2
Poor rookie. Learn a little about your car to know what you're driving. It's more interesting having to do homework on the car anyway. That way at least you know what you have under the hood. I ran into a guy the other day who was driving a 98 Jeep Wrangler. (I work for a Chrysler dealership) I asked him what engine he had in order to look him up a part, and he told me, "I think it's a v-8." I wanted to smack him for being an idiot, and not knowing about his own vehicle. Moral is, learn about your own car.
wranglers, are they not a V6-V8 applicable jeep? (at least i thought they were, but i could be wrong)

92 SL1 SOHC TBI
Custom intake
Alpine deck, speakers, amp
JBL Sub
Ultimate amp
Volometer gauge mounted in dash
Magnaflow exhaust
....DEAD.... Car towed away Jan 18 2007. RIP

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JS593's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JS593 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JS593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 01:19 AM   #14
Low Saturn

2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS593
wranglers, are they not a V6-V8 applicable jeep? (at least i thought they were, but i could be wrong)

Nope. The newer Wranglers at least are 4 and 6 cylinders. But there are kits to drop in a 350.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-10-2005, 04:20 AM   #15
JADEDSL2

Location: Sullivan, Missouri, USA, North America, Northern West Hemisphere, Earth, Solar System, Left Galactic Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Galactic Cluster, Universe

1993 SL2
1991 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS593
Well, actually, it IS possible to cram a 3.9L v-6, a 5.2L v-8 (318), or a 5.9L v-8 (360) into some of the mid 90's jeep wranglers, but they come standard with either a 2.5L inline 4, or a 4.0L straight six. V-6 and V-8 mods to these are not very common, but I have seen it done. now, some of the bigger jeeps, yes, come with v-6 and 8's. but those are new models, carrying 3.7L v-6's (jeep liberty engines), 4.7L v-8's (1/2 ton truck engines), and 5.7L Hemi's. And the SRT-8 Jeep Grand Cherokee is toting a 6.1L 425 hp Hemi. Good question man.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help JADEDSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-10-2005, 01:09 AM   #16
85_SS
85_SS will become famous soon enough

1993 SC1
1996 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue
You can always jot down the VIN and look it up on Carfax or Kelley Blue Book. That the insurance company doesn't have it right is unconscionable; they should have ALL that information dead-bang right, based on the VIN. Ditto with dealers, but yeah, I once saw an SW1 being sold as an "SC2 Wagon"
Carfax info is very inaccurate from my experiences - made stuff up, and missed a lot too. Insurance companies are often wrong, at least mine is. I had two Monte SS's at the same time. The 8th digit engine code denotes them as an SS - yet they had one titled as an SS and one not. I questioned them and she said that is what thier books state, and suggested leaving it since its somewhat cheaper. Normally I would argue, but if something ever happened it is their fault since the VIN itself tells them its an SS. I have agreed value insurance for $200/yr now anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JADEDSL2
This rookie did learn about them right off the bat My point is if you are just shopping around for them, it makes it difficult to learn by observation/advertisements since nobody knows what they are Nothing makes sense if everyone is calling it the wrong thing.

For example go look on autotrader - to find all SC's, you will have to look at that year range of saturns - if you search specifically for SC you will miss a lot of them and you will get a lot of SL/SW's too... All I knew is I wanted a 91-96 2-door because thats the body style I like so that is all I looked at, regardless of what the seller called it.

1996 Saturn SC1 -5spd Daily Driver
1993 Saturn SC1 -5spd RIP 1.28.2010@290,549km
1985 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS -5.7L/SShaker Hood/WCT5 5spd
1970 Pontiac GTO -Judge Recreation/YZ RAIII400/M20 4spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 85_SS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 85_SS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
85_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 04:23 AM   #17
JADEDSL2

1993 SL2
1991 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85_SS

This rookie did learn about them right off the bat My point is if you are just shopping around for them, it makes it difficult to learn by observation/advertisements since nobody knows what they are Nothing makes sense if everyone is calling it the wrong thing.

For example go look on autotrader - to find all SC's, you will have to look at that year range of saturns - if you search specifically for SC you will miss a lot of them and you will get a lot of SL/SW's too... All I knew is I wanted a 91-96 2-door because thats the body style I like so that is all I looked at, regardless of what the seller called it.
Yeah, I understand that, but if you know what you're looking at, you have the advantage, and the ability to laugh at the idiots who try to sell their cars mislabeled. I've even seen things as extreme as marketing a 95 SW1 automatic as a 99 SC2 manual. Some people are stupid, it's a fact. I wasn't trying to diss anyone, by the way. I hope I didn't come across as a prick or anything.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-14-2005, 04:04 AM   #18
jambra1
Advanced Member
jambra1 is just really nicejambra1 is just really nicejambra1 is just really nicejambra1 is just really nice

1999 SC2
1999 SL2

Quote:
I have searched and couldn't find a thread on this, but I would guess there is one somewhere.
And you would guess correctly. These are just some of the numerous threads found by using the Search function with "difference SL1 SL2" as the keyword parameters.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48491

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48808

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54109

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43593

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35304

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9926

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jambra1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jambra1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jambra1 is offline   Reply With Quote