saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > Classifieds

Old 10-03-2015, 04:01 PM   #1
Brendo613
Brendo613 will become famous soon enough

1996 SW2
Default Saturn SW2 project car

Please see my eBay ad for full details.

The time has come for me to sell my beloved project, a 1996 Saturn wagon. I've had this car for more than 10 years and I learned a lot rebuilding it. Unfortunately, the car has begun to burn coolant. I suspect the cylinder head, though head gasket failure is a possibility. I work as a mechanic and would like to think that I did replaced the gasket correctly.

When I rebuilt the engine, I installed a new crankshaft, had the block bored 1mm over, installed new pistons, rings, main & rod bearings, installed new gaskets & seals all around, installed a rebuilt cylinder head from J & C in Virginia, and have used the car for about 10,000 mi since. There are new engine sensors all around (TPS, CPS, ECTS), a new ICM, new coils, wires, and plugs. The fuel injectors are new units. I cleaned every engine ground connection and used dielectric grease to protect them. I installed a manual steering rack, put synthetic ATF in the manual transmission, installed a stage 2 clutch, installed a lightened flywheel, and all new motor mounts. The exhaust system starts as a 4 into 2 into 1 stainless steel header by OBX, which I welded to a Magnaflow hi flow cat, 2 18" Magnaflow resonators, into a Flowmaster 60 series muffler. I love how this 4 cylinder sounds - stout, healthy, and not buzzy or anemic. The car is a blast to drive.

In the suspension I have Eibach lowering coils, giving a 1.3" front and and 1.1" rear drop. They sit on new Monroe Sensatrac shock towers, on new KYB shock tower mounts. I replaced the worn control arms and tie rods with Moog units. The worn front and rear torsion bar bushings are urethene units from an Energy suspension kit, the rest of which is included in the sale. New trailing arm end links have been installed as well.

The interior - I removed the upper interior panels, painted them red, and reinstalled them. The rear speakers are new. The headliner fabric was sagging, so I removed it and painted the foam board flat black. The interior lights will come with the sale, but one has broken clips. They are tough to remove without damaging!

Since I rebuilt the car, I have enjoyed driving it immensely. It pulls very nicely, and surprisingly for a 1.9 liter bored out to a 1.95 liter. The car weighs less than 2,600 lbs, if I'm not mistaken. I'm sure I'm forgetting to mention some other repairs I've done to the car, but perhaps this attention to detail and level of care you see evident is enough to convince you that this is not a beat-up, beat-on car. I always respected and cherished this machine. Unfortunately, I won't have time to pull the cylinder head and have it magnafluxed, nor to see if my head gasket install was faulty. If you have the time, a head job can be done with the engine in the car. The timing chain cover is accessible through the front passenger inner fender well, which removes easily. If you have a spare engine, you are set. Just make sure you replace the valve cover gasket - they are prone to leakage, which will seep oil through the engine-to-bellhousing connection and cause clutch slippage. This is how my engine rebuild started!

I encourage you to visit the car, take it for a short test drive, to price out shipping options on uship.com., and to ask me any questions you may have. I have many spare sensors, the factory service manuals, a Haynes manual, a spare set of wheels & tires (tires are old), and maintenance records dating back over 10 years, all of which come with the car. Thank you for your time, and I hope to find a good home for this wonderful project.
Brendo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links