saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 08-06-2011, 09:20 AM   #1
bobyjones
Advanced Member
bobyjones is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
Default clutch/pressure plate racing rpms issue

my problem is right now i think my pressure plate is bad again, from id rather not say, for example my rpms race when going 50-70mph in 5th gear when im gassing it good.. err sl2 5speed 1999 here

what is this again? they told me it was the pressure plate last time they put my new clutch in which only has 30k on it max

who knows the exact cause of this? or are there many causes?
bobyjones is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2011, 09:58 AM   #2
bobyjones
Advanced Member

1999 SL2
Default Re: clutch/pressure plate racing rpms issue

also, been driving it for a year since i noticed the symptoms, its only happened 4 times, because I know not to gas it below 60mph in 5th gear already, the transmission has a welded dif pin and 230k on it the clutch has 20-30k
Old 08-06-2011, 10:40 AM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The stock clutch will slip under those conditions. It was discussed on here some time ago as it happens in heavy traffic when passing at 75+ also. If the engine is reasonably stock then a mild upgrade will fix the problem. Something like these Stage 1 clutches, eBay item# 160499479567. Much more than stage 1 will cause different problems that you will not enjoy either.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:23 AM   #4
bobyjones
Advanced Member

1999 SL2

"The stock clutch will slip under those conditions. It was discussed on here some time ago as it happens in heavy traffic when passing at 75+ also. If the engine is reasonably stock then a mild upgrade will fix the problem. Something like these Stage 1 clutches, eBay item# 160499479567. Much more than stage 1 will cause different problems that you will not enjoy either. "

i had a racing clutch "supposedly" before and that was a cheap piece of crap with an extra spring in it so i got a new luk clutch a year ago, ive honestly thought that my car was broken this whole time.. ha..

so anyhow does that harm the transmission or anything if you cause that racing rpms problem?
Old 08-06-2011, 11:59 AM   #5
td1238
Master Member
td1238 will become famous soon enoughtd1238 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

Funny. I'm guessing that my clutch is original. At any rate my '99 SL2 has over 223k on it and the clutch does not slip at all.

One thing that will help is knowing your engine and matching speeds properly before engaging the clutch. I cringe whenever I hear people racing their engines while engaging the clutch. When people ride in my car, they swear it's an automatic.
td1238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:07 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

No but it cooks the diaphragm spring and it will loose temper and allow more slip at lower RPM/load. Finding beefed up clutches is an art, don't shop by price tag or reports from people without credibility. All you need is what they like to call stage 1 but there are many different designs and some are near impossible to drive around in traffic with. Shock loads are hard on the driveline and engine suspension.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:25 PM   #7
bobyjones
Advanced Member

1999 SL2

is the diaphram spring on the clutch or pressure plate? does this boil down to i should get a beefed up pressure plate? the clutch i took out and still have was from korea, nds or something, the guy who fixed it showed me a spring on the pressure plate he said was bad, or going..

or do i need a clutch pressure plate combo?

my original problem occured when i was driving with excessive weight in the car into and out of traffic in boston(absurd),so I had to take out the racing clutch the other guy put in who owned the car before, it seems to me at 75mph+ theres no slipping and 70 and below slip, so isn't that the opposite of that manufacturers defect that you mention?

Last edited by bobyjones; 08-06-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:32 PM   #8
bobyjones
Advanced Member

1999 SL2

old nuc let me know
Old 08-06-2011, 08:05 PM   #9
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Some designs of clutches tighten up at high RPMs, usually some type of "racing" clutch. They are not satisfactory for street use. The diaphragm spring is the thing with all the fingers on it. The other end is attached to the pressure plate.

The entire assembly is called the clutch cover and is comprised of a diaphragm spring, pressure plate and stabilizing links. It is the spring that cooks. Yes, a stage 1 clutch is usually a standard friction disk and a beefed up diaphragm spring that applies more pressure on the friction disk.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:05 PM   #10
jim147
jim147 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
2008 AURA XE

If they are not getting the free play set properly or you are riding the clutch it will over heat and cause your problem.

I changed the clutch on my 99 SC2 at 270,000 miles because I thought it needed it. I would throw it back in if I needed to without a worry.

There is or used to be a place in Kansas City that would build you a clutch that wouldn't slip. I'm sure you would tear something else up with that clutch, I did. It wasn't in a Saturn but i killed that torque arm and rearend pretty quick.

jim
jim147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:53 PM   #11
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Every Saturn made has a self adjusting hydraulic actuator that runs with zero clearance. There is no adjustment at all.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:19 AM   #12
bobyjones
Advanced Member

1999 SL2

so am i better off waiting till this thing goes completely or fixing it before i do torque converter damage, it seems pointless to buy another clutch/plate combo i already have two the original one i got with that car and the luk clutch combo, i already have two clutch disks, one with extra springs inside the four clutch springs, any idea on a good pressure plate? or is it the same price to buy the combo(probably)
Old 08-07-2011, 09:04 AM   #13
OldNuc

1998 SC2

There is no torque converter in a manual transmission. You need a heavy duty clutch cover. That is what you get with what is commonly called a Stage 1 clutch kit. The problem is not the friction disk it is the cover assembly specifically the strength of the diaphragm spring.