SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 12:17 PM   #1
skijay
skijay will become famous soon enough

Default crossbars

Once they are on the VUE are they easy to remove and put back on?
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2003, 12:41 PM   #2
boone
boone is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L
1997 SL2

Although the Vue is my first vehicle with a roof rack, I found it fairly easy to remove the rack. They give you a hex-head tool which you use to remove a plastic end-cap from the rail. This is to provide access to the rail groove for adding attachments. Once the plastic cap is out of the way, there's a screw below it that threads into the roof bolts. It was easy to remove and replace.

I wanted to remove the racks and place them in the holes at the opposite ends of the vehicle, but the dealer didn't install threaded bolts there. I called and asked about it and they told me that you can't install the bolts in the holes at the very front or back, just the in-between ones.
Old 01-08-2003, 01:04 PM   #3
skijay

So, In other words I can have the dealer install the cross bars for me and when I want to take them off for the winter or to wax my car, they are easy to take off and put back on again.

The one dealer I talked to told me that once they are on, they are on and they can only take them off. I was leaning toward getting a trailer hitch & hitch mounted carrier, but they stick out to much. It will turn my VUE with a bike carrier into the length of an Excursion!!! (not really)
Old 01-08-2003, 01:24 PM   #4
pkschul
Advanced Member
pkschul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by skijay
So, In other words I can have the dealer install the cross bars for me and when I want to take them off for the winter or to wax my car, they are easy to take off and put back on again.

The one dealer I talked to told me that once they are on, they are on and they can only take them off. I was leaning toward getting a trailer hitch & hitch mounted carrier, but they stick out to much. It will turn my VUE with a bike carrier into the length of an Excursion!!! (not really)
The gen 1 fork mount bike carrier for the VUE is a piece of crap. I've heard that it was redesigned for 03 and might be better, but I really don't know. I found it hard to put my bike on the roof rack the one time I "attempted" to use it. I suggest having the side step nerf bars if you want to use it. I got a class 3 hitch and a hitch mount carrier... it doesn't stick out too far IMO.
Old 01-08-2003, 01:55 PM   #5
skijay

I will only buy the cross bars from Saturn. I will buy Yakima bike trays, now that I am ticked off that all of my Thule compnents are not compatible with the Thule "rack pack" kit that enables Thule products to adapt to factory cross bars.
Old 01-08-2003, 01:57 PM   #6
boone

2003 VUE 2.2L
1997 SL2

I have the step bars on my VUE. They make it pretty easy to access the forward rack but the rear rack is over the rear-wheel area and harder to get to.

I'm putting sea kayaks on top of mine and I think I'll bring along a step-stool.
Old 01-08-2003, 02:02 PM   #7
boone

2003 VUE 2.2L
1997 SL2

I've been told that Saris makes the racks and accessories for the Saturns. I bought the kayak saddles from the dealer and they look exactly like the ones on the Saris website. I'm hoping to get a 2nd set from an outfitter who sells them for less than the dealer.

Haven't looked into the bike accessories...maybe there is a nicer one that will fit.

I have an email into them asking if I could use their bars instead of the Saturn ones. My kayaks would like more width across the top. Their fit-finder on the website says they don't have anything for the VUE yet.

http://www.sarisracks.com/start.htm
Old 01-08-2003, 09:43 PM   #8
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

The crossbars are ungodly to install the first time.. after the socketed screws are in, they are easy to take off and put back on. As far as the rear wheel well area goes.. just step up on the tire.
~D.J.~
2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011
Old 01-09-2003, 10:04 AM   #9
skijay

Thanks everybody for the responses and OhioVueBoy, you said the words I wanted to hear! I am going to go with the crossbars.
Old 01-10-2003, 05:22 PM   #10
WeeeZer14
Advanced Member
WeeeZer14 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally posted by OhioVueBoy
As far as the rear wheel well area goes.. just step up on the tire.
~D.J.~
To expand a bit with my experience, open the back door put one foot on door sill, other foot on top of rear tire. Works great on my 2-door Jimmy and should work just as well on the VUE. (Haven't carried anything on the roof yet.)
Old 01-13-2003, 11:04 AM   #11
skijay

I bought the VUE crossbars. I am going to wait until spring to get them installed. I am now going to look for the Yakima bike trays on sale this winter.

It looks like it will be $105 for the install of the bars. I paid $145 for the bars with shipping. Just as an example, If THULE was to make a rack system I would be paying more for the load bars, towers and or feet, two locks, and the fit kit than what I just paid for the crossbars plus installation.

I was quoted $379 for the crossbars including install at one dealer!
Closed Thread